Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/26/2016, 10:52 AM   #1
Saarzard
Registered Member

Post Sump Question

Hello!

After just about every fish related question I typed into Google sent me here, I decided I should join!

I recently was blessed with the Craigslist deal of a lifetime, beautiful 55G RR tank with two overflows, a nice return pipe positioned along the bottom of the tank, protein skimmer, miracle 50 sump with bio balls, lights, stand, about 75 lbs LR and sand in addition to more goodies than I have time to list. I currently have the tank about 3/4 filled and a standard HOB filter running to keep the LR and sand bacteria as healthy as possible while I set up everything else.

I was planning on building my own stand and sump/refugium. I have been doing a lot of research and I think I decided on my final layout. I will be using a 20-30 gallon tank for the sump, with the first chamber dedicated to the protein skimmer, sock filter and carbon. Then I will put the refugium and then finally the return pump. I was thinking about putting bioballs in between the 1st and 2nd chambers in the baffles. I am also not 100% sure what I want to include in the fuge. I definitely want to use some of the LR from the display and some macro algae, but I am not sure how much sand/mud I should use... if I even use any. I attached a JPG. Any Advice is appreciated! I have some FOWLR experience but reefs are a whole new word to me!

I was planning on doing "easy" soft corals like toadstool leather, Pulsing Arm Xenia and mushroom polyps for at least a while.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sump.jpg (33.2 KB, 26 views)
Saarzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Skaters216
Registered Member

i have about an 1-1/12 inches of sand and on top of that i put Miracle Mudd and cheato in my middle chamber, you have to let the mudd settle for a few hours before you run any pumps or whatever

Skaters216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2016, 12:38 PM   #3
davehead86
Registered Member

Use as big of a sump as you can.
Ditch the bioballs. They trap nitrates and create more problems than help.
Filter socks require a lot of work with cleaning and changing them. Make sure you really want to do that maintenance everyday.

Current Tank: 65 Gallon Mixed Reef| 40B Sump| 2 Radion Gen 3's| 2 MP10wes| Vectra M1 | Reefkeeper Lite
davehead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2016, 06:47 AM   #4
Saarzard
Registered Member

Awesome! Thank you guys. I will look into using mud and sand as opposed to just sand and ditch the filter sock. I think I would like to try the bioballs however, maybe put them in a removable container and monitor the Nitrate levels with/without them.

Saarzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2016, 05:47 PM   #5
LowHangingFruit
Registered Member

Not a bad design. I second the ditching of the bio balls but filter socks aren't that much of a maintenance issue. I changed mine out every week and have enough sets to last me a month before I have to wash them. I attached my new sump disign. From left to right is the filter sock section, skimmer section, refug, and return section.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.8 KB, 15 views)

Tags
new to reefing, sump advice, sump and refugium