Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/05/2011, 05:44 AM   #1
hypnoj
Registered Member

LED's and anemone's

Has anyone on this forum successfully kept anemone's under LED's?

Regardless whether you answer is yes or no. Please post species kept, what LED lights you used, and for how long your setup has been up and running.

hypnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 09:13 AM   #2
hypnoj
Registered Member

Seriously; no one has been successful keeping anemone's under LED's?

Unread 04/06/2011, 09:16 AM   #3
this is me
Registered Member

Too early to tell for me. But my gigantea has been under it for a month and haddoni just a couple days. They both seem to do just fine.
Switched from 250W DE to 4 Elos 21W Estripes.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 09:21 AM   #4
hypnoj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
Too early to tell for me. But my gigantea has been under it for a month and haddoni just a couple days. They both seem to do just fine.
Switched from 250W DE to 4 Elos 21W Estripes.
Thanks for posting. Please keep us updated on this thread. I'm hoping that we get more feedback as this is an important topic for anemone growers.

Unread 04/06/2011, 09:42 AM   #5
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoj View Post
Thanks for posting. Please keep us updated on this thread. I'm hoping that we get more feedback as this is an important topic for anemone growers.
There are already a couple of LED threads here. Bottom line - if you use the right LEDs with high enough intensity, you can keep anemones.

Eventually ALL aquarium lighting will be LEDs (as will all household lighting). They just aren't quite there yet in terms of intensity and price. Good news is they keep getting brighter (i.e. more efficient at generating light), higher power, and lower cost. Because LED's are based on an electronic technology platform, they are following a similar improvement curve as microprocessors and memory. Right now LED prices are falling 50% every three years. In ten years you'll have a hard time remembering what incandescent and flourescent bulbs were - just like today you can't GIVE a CRT computer screen away.

Unread 04/06/2011, 12:19 PM   #6
phurst
Richmond Reefer

I have a BTA and maxi-mini under LEDs. Both are in a 10, under a 12 diode LED kit from Rapid LED. All 3w LEDs, 6 cool white, 6 royal blue. Both are doing very well at the 3 month mark. Definitely not suffering from lack of light, that's for sure.

Please forgive the BlackBerry quality pics. This tank is in my office, and that's all I have handy.

Maxi-mini:

Purple w/ green tips BTA

FTS:

Current Tank Info: Various tanks of various sizes with various gear.
phurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 05:33 PM   #7
rhactopia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonsaiNut View Post
There are already a couple of LED threads here. Bottom line - if you use the right LEDs with high enough intensity, you can keep anemones.

Eventually ALL aquarium lighting will be LEDs (as will all household lighting). They just aren't quite there yet in terms of intensity and price. Good news is they keep getting brighter (i.e. more efficient at generating light), higher power, and lower cost. Because LED's are based on an electronic technology platform, they are following a similar improvement curve as microprocessors and memory. Right now LED prices are falling 50% every three years. In ten years you'll have a hard time remembering what incandescent and flourescent bulbs were - just like today you can't GIVE a CRT computer screen away.
Absolutely agree 100%!! I worked in contracting for lighting for the military for a few years, and the trend is definitely headed toward LEDs. It might be a little more than 10 yrs before everything switches over, but we're definitely movin in that direction. We're switching our tanks over to LEDs (over the next 6-12 mos), so we're excited to see that other people are having good experiences with LEDs. Thanks, Phurst!!

rhactopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 06:08 PM   #8
phurst
Richmond Reefer

Hi guys Are y'all going to put optics on those LEDs on the 90?

Unread 04/06/2011, 09:09 PM   #9
hypnoj
Registered Member

I have optics on mine

Unread 04/06/2011, 11:24 PM   #10
boyer
Registered Member

I've replace numerous 400watt flood lamps at my work with 98watt led units that fit stock housings. they ran about $600 but have a 250,000 hr warranty. and 300,000 life expectancy they are super bright.

boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 11:38 PM   #11
davocean
Registered Member

Agree on LED advances, there's talk of our street lights being switched over, and stage lighting is going there too, so intensity is there.
My BTA's(including avatar) were under LED's(panorama) and grew fine.
My LTA w/ that fixture at the bottom of 24" didn't seem happy and never planted, not positive light was the reason, but my guess.
So my thoughts are light needy that mount up high on rocks or low light needy BTA's are fine, and maybe some over driven or higher watt LEDs for the rest may work.
Soon they will have it dialed, and most if not all of us will be using LEDs.
I plan to have a T5 LED combo soon.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 06:02 AM   #12
hypnoj
Registered Member

thx for the info davocean and others. My tank is all set up. 30x30x20h and I'm using 4 x evil's PAR 38 20ks. these have the 5 Cree's running 21 watts total per bulb and I just needed to know if I'd be able to keep anemone's. Many had posted that they started to see bleaching under all types of LED's and I was getting worried.

Unread 04/07/2011, 12:47 PM   #13
davocean
Registered Member

Straight off the bulb the PAR levels are off the charts, so pretty common for corals and such high up to get bleached on intro if not acclimated properly.
In a 20" high tank you should have no problem w/ those, at greater depth PAR drops significantly, at this time anyways.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 12:59 PM   #14
deangelr
Clown Whisperererer

Ive got my Ritteri under the vertex illumina 260 dialed down to about %70.. Its only been a little over a month so who know how it will do long term.. Seems very happy now though

Unread 04/07/2011, 03:06 PM   #15
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

If people are struggling with LED's right now, it is often due to lack of intensity versus lack of PAR. PAR is important for zooxanthellae. The term "intensity" I am using as a blanket term that includes broad spectrum lighting (including a fair amount of UVR) that causes marine animals to develop dark pigmentation. I am not completely familiar with all the science, but suffice it to say that when not kept under the right kind of BRIGHT lighting, SPS and other marine critters can become lighter in color or change colors altogether. This is unrelated to the term "bleaching" which typically means loss of zooxanthellae. So for some people using LEDs, their critters maintain the dark brown color of healthy zooxanthellae (due to high PAR levels) but lose their secondary "pretty" coloration.

Unread 04/07/2011, 03:19 PM   #16
deangelr
Clown Whisperererer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonsaiNut View Post
If people are struggling with LED's right now, it is often due to lack of intensity versus lack of PAR. PAR is important for zooxanthellae. The term "intensity" I am using as a blanket term that includes broad spectrum lighting (including a fair amount of UVR) that causes marine animals to develop dark pigmentation. I am not completely familiar with all the science, but suffice it to say that when not kept under the right kind of BRIGHT lighting, SPS and other marine critters can become lighter in color or change colors altogether. This is unrelated to the term "bleaching" which typically means loss of zooxanthellae. So for some people using LEDs, their critters maintain the dark brown color of healthy zooxanthellae (due to high PAR levels) but lose their secondary "pretty" coloration.
From what you have heard.. any idea which LEDs these are that are not keeping the "pretty color"?

most of the information I can find on LEDs manufactured in the last 2 years from user accounts claim that with adjustable intensities this is no longer a problem..

Unread 04/07/2011, 04:16 PM   #17
jonnybravo22
Registered Member

yes.

my gigantea under AI leds for more than a year

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1809346

Last edited by jonnybravo22; 04/07/2011 at 04:23 PM.
jonnybravo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 04:26 PM   #18
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

See Johnny's thread above ^^^

The higher end custom aquarium LED setups with 3 watt LEDs, adjustable intensity, and adjustable (swappable) optics seem to be the best bet right now.

The less expensive LED panel systems (mostly with 1 watt LEDs) from China have been having mixed results.

Unread 04/07/2011, 05:23 PM   #19
fishslime
Registered Member

I have had my H. crispa under leds for about 4 months now. I would say its color is darker and a little more purple hue than it had with t5s. It did seem to bleach a little when i first switched. It was under the t5s for over a year.

fishslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 05:40 PM   #20
hypnoj
Registered Member

Great info guys. This gives me hope for my anem tank

Unread 04/07/2011, 05:50 PM   #21
Jasanden
Registered Member

I have a H. Mag that I have had for 1 year under a Solaris I -4 running at 60%. It seems like it's happy and has not moved since acclimation. The tank itself is a 120 gal that has been running for 3 years. I also supplement with 2 t-5's. Just for coverage.

Jasanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 06:09 PM   #22
miniwhinny
Registered Member

17 maxi carpet nems under LED's for 5 months...THRIVING.

miniwhinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 06:45 PM   #23
phurst
Richmond Reefer

Need pics of that ^

Unread 04/07/2011, 07:09 PM   #24
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

You LED guys are killing me. Post some photos of your 'nems under LEDs!

Unread 04/07/2011, 07:14 PM   #25
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

Surely this thread is a testament to LED's: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1986266

Kept one of the healthiest looking Gigs i've ever seen under LED's.. think he's using T5's now though.

No skimmer/sump etc and one helluva healthy gig.

Silfer is offline   Reply With Quote