Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Osteichthyes
Registered Member.

Unhappy diamond goby found dead

Hi guys,

this morning I woke up and heard a strange noise coming from my pump, so I turned everything off to take a look. Lo and behold, my goby somehow got into my last compartment in my 12g JBJ nano cube and was sucked up by the pump. I have NO idea how he could snake his way through there and even get into the compartment where the pump is. Now I have a dead goby . Should I do a water change? and if so how much water should be change? thanks.

Osteichthyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2012, 12:41 PM   #2
J2T
Registered Member

I would take some measurements first before jumping to a water change though it won't hurt to do one.

60 Gallon cube, 10g sump, 2 AI Sol Blue, SeaSide Aquatic CS3.5 Skimmer
J2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

I'd do a small change, on that size system you should probably be doing small weekly partials anyway.

Unread 11/20/2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

probably he was weakened and floating. Diamond gobies frequently become casualties in new tanks because they have nothing to eat.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Osteichthyes
Registered Member.

Okay I'll take some measurements and probably do a small water change. The thing that confuses me though, even if he was floating around, I have no idea how he could've gotten into the last compartment. The suction isn't enough to bring him through the 1st and 2nd, let alone into the third.

Osteichthyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Could have jumped?

I was going to say too, diamond gobies are a bad choice, they have no business in home aquaria.

Unread 11/20/2012, 01:39 PM   #7
fishgate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Blaze View Post
Could have jumped?

I was going to say too, diamond gobies are a bad choice, they have no business in home aquaria.
You mean this? What is wrong with them at home?

120g in-wall, 40B Sump, PC 54wx4, Jabao DC-6000 (full siphon), future seahorse t

Current Tank Info: 125g, 120g, 2x40b sumps, ATI 4x80 T5HO
fishgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgate View Post
You mean this? What is wrong with them at home?

Yep thats the one.

They are sand sifters. They feed on the micro fauna growing in the sandbed.

This microfauna is good for the tank, its the stuff people buy live sand for.

A typical home aquaria does not have a large enough sandbed to support said feedign activity.

What happens is the goby will decimate the population of microfuana in the sand, then they starve to death. Heck even the one in the pick is nearly emaciated.

After they destroy the life in the sand, rthe sandbed become inactive as a filtration system, with nothing in the sand it soon starts to clump up and sometimes will become a solid brick and has even been blamed for crackign tanks.

Sure, you may know someone that has kept one alive for a period of time, but I have seen 100's of these die in a short time.

There are many better gobies to enjoy in the home aquaria.

There are many better choices for sand sifters, if you have issues with dirty sand, which in reality is a lack of maintanince, not a lack of sifter.