Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2012, 02:31 PM   #301
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraz View Post
And no doubt you have never seen a dead fish in any other LFS. would you complain here if you did? Nope
All LFS will have dead fish sometimes. Any decent LFS should run dead several times a day beause it looks bad to the customers.

AcroporAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2012, 01:42 PM   #302
justa210
Registered Member

My local petco is my favorite place to go to buy fish. They have recently added close to 15 more tanks for saltwater. They dont really sell much coral. There order comes in from a place that is about 3 hours away from the store. The tanks are always clean and the department head is into saltwarer tanks himself and has his own. Very frinedly staff and great prices. I've been to other petcos and it has been a shame the way they keep there tanks. My local petco is working on setting up a frag tank now and just recently set up a LR tank. I guess it just depends on which petco you goto!

justa210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2012, 11:21 AM   #303
SSprince
Registered Member

I haven't been to a Petco in years. I have no reason to after they removed all the Salt water products...

SSprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2012, 07:20 PM   #304
Hngryhippo
Registered Member

Ive worked at PETCO for a while now and would never buy any kind of marine life from there..ever and would recommend any responsible hobbyist do the same LOL

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

Hngryhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2012, 08:40 PM   #305
Smnparish
Registered Member

I agree that most petcos are bad, but the one near me is actually a magnet test store for salt water livestock. They have their own frag tank and the main guy there is really involved in our local reefing club.

Smnparish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2012, 05:40 PM   #306
V.F.D.
Registered Member

My local PetCo now has a pretty decent little Saltwater set-up with a frag tank and sweet deals. This is due to the fact that the saltwater manager who has returned, know as "the mermaid".

V.F.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2012, 02:39 PM   #307
skykingcory
Registered Member

Petco is random too from what I've seen. Our local one is not too great though.

skykingcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2012, 09:02 PM   #308
no694terry
Registered Member

i was at the one near my office the other day cause they just set up a marine section too and had mexican turbors for $2.50. I started to ask about how many "condi/clown" couples they have sold and she said a bunch which worries me. I then tried to tell her that condi's dont really host fish but eat them but of course she knows it all and pretty much ignored me.

no694terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2012, 01:10 PM   #309
paglaum22
Registered Member

my experience with them..

There are good things from petco, I bought the only clownfish that my anemone hosted from them in a very competitive price, and even told me if the fish dies within a month will just bring the dead fish (with receipt)back to them and a sample of my water and they can replace or refund if they find out my water wasn't the culprit
The bad things about them are some marine fishes out there are much more expensive and I saw one blue tang in a small tank and accdg. to the employee the fish has been there for a month . Their other aqua products are so much more cheaper than other lfs around though..

paglaum22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2012, 02:41 PM   #310
Centralcampus
Registered Member

There are always the stores (all stores that sale SW) that do an amazing job, and those that don't do as good. As they go through the process they either continue business or go out of business. In the case where a Petco might not be doing the best job, corporate notices or is told by customers, and then Petco Corporate stops selling SW fish at that store. Some though have a great selection and take care of the animals well.

Centralcampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2012, 08:54 AM   #311
jguinn2005
Registered Member

I won't bash Petco, as someone else said there are good stores and there are bad stores just like anything else. For some of us, there isn't a closer place to go. I will say that as part-owner of a locally owned Pet/LFS we purposely employ a few people with experience and knowledge to maintain our stock. If they quit, we don't stock until we get someone else in there - this is why after 20 years of freshwater I am finally educating myself on salt ... instead of paying someone else to do it all the time LOL!

We often only keep the most basic fish and coral in stock, not only basic but easy to care for. Thus, making it a win-win for us and the customer. We generally special order most of our more expensive livestock and our customers are often there waiting to pick them up off of the delivery truck and are happy with the process. This doesn't allow customers to view the animal before ordering it better ensures the health of the specimen and is backed by the guarantee of our supplier. Again, win-win and not unlike ordering from a place like liveaquaria. I won't say what my business name is as I'm not trying to promote my business on this forum. My point is, I wish more places would follow suit with a similar business plan unless they are equipped to handle large scale and specialty applications for their customers - generally speaking, Petco is not equipped for this.

jguinn2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2012, 05:23 PM   #312
Tuton
Registered Member

My local PetCo has someone who is pretty good with freshwater and alot of the husbandry transfers over to saltwater. Whenever I buy there I always nit-pick about stuff to drive the price down. I have gotten up to a 55% discout because the guy working had no clue what he was doing and one of the fish in a different tank had Ich (and the tank was freshwater, thats how stupid that guy was)

Unread 11/23/2012, 10:17 PM   #313
RyanE
Registered Member

Petco is horrible for fish.
None of the staff at my store has a clue.

RyanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2012, 03:30 PM   #314
7391eidde
Registered Member

The Petco's in my area (Northern California) stopped selling SW fish years ago. They are now remodeling the store taking down half their tanks and DC their SW products.

7391eidde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2012, 03:38 PM   #315
nmouncey
Registered Member

I have decent luck with PetSupplies Plus here in Cleveland. I don't go there much because I have a great LFS that I like doing all my business with. But from time to time, I pick something up there that is just too much at my LFS.

Sometimes a fish I really want is there and I'll watch him for a few days. If it looks healthy, I'll buy it. I have done it twice, I believe. And both fish are doing really well a few months later.

My LFS often sells things the minute they come in...as their customers are that voracious : ) Which is awesome. But to my mind...a fish freshly in...vs. a fish in a big box store who looks healthy? It can be a gamble either way. But if I'm going to buy something special....then I will order through my LFS because I trust his judgement and suppliers more than walking in off the street to a PetCo...regardless of how good something looks.

Yesterday I walked into the PetSupplies Plus and the head of the fish section came up and said "OHHH dude....awesome...I've been waiting for you to come through. You keep reefs, right? I want one. How do I do it?"

The head of the department.
Asking me.
A customer.
How to build a reef.

I talked to him for half an hour and he had no idea at all. None. No knowledge of salt water fish. NONE. And I have hard him go on for five minutes to unsuspecting customers about how "Sure that Grouper will be really great in your tank with shrimp and Clown Fish....." etc. I usually catch the persons eye and give a tiny shake of my head "NO" and they always seem to understand that my information is better : )

So you never know.

Keep in mind...clever LFS owners hire knowledgeable employees away from the PetCos and PetSupply Plus places........there is a reason the box places tanks always look like crap.

nmouncey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 07:20 AM   #316
dorky
Registered Member

is this what i think it is? i dont think they would let me in for awhile after explaining to the person who planning to buy it think it would be cool to watch it pair up with the clownfish. guy tht work there said it will pair up to any clownfish and everything here is reef-safe and friendly and i hate to sound like an a hole but told em why the starfish trying to eat the maroon fish? if i work there i would just rearrange everything start over from scratch.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2033.jpg (45.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2034.jpg (62.5 KB, 85 views)
dorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 09:17 AM   #317
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Based on the size, it probably is a Curlycue anemone. They basically look like an aptasia on steriods, and sting other things like one too. Only pluses to them, over aptasia, is that they don't reproduce like aptasia and they host Periclimenes sp. cleaner shrimps.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 09:35 AM   #318
rrasco
Registered Member

I thought it was a huge aiptasia.

I'm sure it's come up already in this thread, heck I may have said it already, but most of these stores can't afford to pay knowledgeable staff. It's a retail store. I'd gladly work at Petco and keep their SW section in check and the customers informed, but you're gonna have to pay me $25/hour to do it. Not likely to happen.

Unread 12/20/2012, 12:46 PM   #319
mattman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
Based on the size, it probably is a Curlycue anemone. They basically look like an aptasia on steriods, and sting other things like one too. Only pluses to them, over aptasia, is that they don't reproduce like aptasia and they host Periclimenes sp. cleaner shrimps.
Definitely a Curlyque

mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 01:02 PM   #320
Bonghapster
Registered Member

I have three petco in my area within 30mins drive. One is horrible (dirty n dead livestock, one is good, and the other is great. It all depends on the staff. LFS cant beat their dry good prices. I get dog food from there. If i find a heathy $50 fish for $10. I'll take a shot. Put it in quantine and see.

Bonghapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 01:49 PM   #321
vmjtc3
Registered Member

We have one deathco in Vegas that seems to have a good selection and healthy livestock, but I wont shop at any of them. I like to support my local mom and pop owned reef stores. Although there are a few of them that are no better than deathco.....

vmjtc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 10:19 PM   #322
dorky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmjtc3 View Post
We have one deathco in Vegas that seems to have a good selection and healthy livestock, but I wont shop at any of them. I like to support my local mom and pop owned reef stores. Although there are a few of them that are no better than deathco.....
hmm get a discount? lol lucky u

dorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2013, 10:54 AM   #323
SantaMonica
Registered Member

My Petco does not have any SW fish at all.

Unread 01/18/2013, 02:01 PM   #324
justa210
Registered Member

As of last week our petco just switched vendors to Quality Marine. They also now have a frag tank. The fish selection is 60/40 Saltwater over Fresh

justa210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2013, 07:30 PM   #325
6lilfish
Registered Member

Petco was selling snowflake clowns for 39.99 and Picaso clowns for 34.99 makes me mad because I paid 100.00 a piece for my snowflakes

6lilfish is offline   Reply With Quote