Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2012, 10:39 PM   #51
jck16
Registered Member

Reading over some of the earlier posts, I wanted to emphasize a couple of points that have helped me so far (remember also, I have not been keeping seahorses for that long in comparison to others here although I have prior experience with small reef tanks). But I think I can offer some suggestions for newbies even newbier than me in regards to LPS, SPS and seahorses, I'll use the questions set by timinnl.

1: Can I keep SPS in an all in one tank?
I doubt it...you need a big sump to handle the crap and uneaten food. Have you seen a seahorse's feces?? It's pretty much a big clump of undigested food...like an owl pellet. I use my sump for my filter sock, skimmer (GET A REALLY GOOD ONE), live rocks, bags of Chemipure and Rowaphos, and chaeto along with an insump refugium. On that note, you also NEED a very good clean-up crew. I have 3 peppermint shrimp, a bunch of nassarius, large cerith, and a bunch of limpets and stroma snails that have reproduced in my tank. I'll count my mandarin too since he does eat frozen mysis but only if it's freshly fallen to the bottom.

2: Are the all in one tanks a good design for seahorses or do I need to mod them? (Read this.)
They need to be modded to flow into a big sump and you NEED a chiller. I don't use another powerhead because 1) I think my seahorses could easily get caught 2) I use an over-rated pump to create my flow (700gph for a 30 gal display tank). I keep my SPS near the return outlet.

4: Where should I buy them from?
I got mine from seahorsesource. I love that they genuinely care...the lady I spoke with when my seahorses weren't eating initially gave me a lot of suggestions and really wanted to help.

5: What is the difference between TR/PR/CB seahorses?
Don't even think about anything but CB from a few trusted sites. Captive bred seahorses should NOT be very cheap since they come from seahorses that the owner spawned in a captive system and then raised the fry in a closed captive system and then weened onto frozen foods.

6: Why is the sky blue?
Rayleigh scattering.

7: Can I mix species together?
I wouldn't?

8: Can I mix pipefish & seahorses together?
That's like asking can I mix vampires and werewolves (NO I'm NOT a Twilight fan......). But I'm about to make a horrible analogy: you have to pick a side because either one of those will survive or none of them will survive just from their needs. For that matter, after reading over all the other guides and stuff, don't keep any other fish with seahorses (I keep an ORA blue mandarin but that's only because he eats frozen mysis after I had to re-train him. I wouldn't recommend even him though.)

Oh yah, also, maxing out your credit cards and emptying your savings for your tank helps (jk...sorta).

Avoid like heck all the LPS with sweeper tentacles (torches, frogspawn, plate, Elegance, chalices, etc.). Also, I personally thinks this tip is crucial:I set up my tank 6 months BEFORE adding in seahorses (or any fish). I went through 3 cycles: the nitrogen cycle, the diatom cycle, and the cyanobacteria cycle (that took pretty much the whole 6 months). I supplemented my pod population, added in live mysis and I have a thriving microfauna population as a result (which took a hit when I added in the mandarin but is still doing well...you can even see baby mysis swarming around in the back). I got my corals established BEFORE the seahorses and built up the tank to handle heavy feedings by feeding my corals with mysis and filter feeder food daily). My one acro frag died in this condition but when I saw my Montiporas grow, I knew they could handle it. Taking a risk with my green birdsnest though...we'll see how that pans out.

Last edited by jck16; 03/14/2012 at 10:50 PM.
jck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2012, 10:02 PM   #52
c.declivisowner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jck16 View Post
Reading over some of the earlier posts, I wanted to emphasize a couple of points that have helped me so far (remember also, I have not been keeping seahorses for that long in comparison to others here although I have prior experience with small reef tanks). But I think I can offer some suggestions for newbies even newbier than me in regards to LPS, SPS and seahorses, I'll use the questions set by timinnl.

1: Can I keep SPS in an all in one tank?
I doubt it...you need a big sump to handle the crap and uneaten food. Have you seen a seahorse's feces?? It's pretty much a big clump of undigested food...like an owl pellet. I use my sump for my filter sock, skimmer (GET A REALLY GOOD ONE), live rocks, bags of Chemipure and Rowaphos, and chaeto along with an insump refugium. On that note, you also NEED a very good clean-up crew. I have 3 peppermint shrimp, a bunch of nassarius, large cerith, and a bunch of limpets and stroma snails that have reproduced in my tank. I'll count my mandarin too since he does eat frozen mysis but only if it's freshly fallen to the bottom.

2: Are the all in one tanks a good design for seahorses or do I need to mod them? (Read this.)
They need to be modded to flow into a big sump and you NEED a chiller. I don't use another powerhead because 1) I think my seahorses could easily get caught 2) I use an over-rated pump to create my flow (700gph for a 30 gal display tank). I keep my SPS near the return outlet.

4: Where should I buy them from?
I got mine from seahorsesource. I love that they genuinely care...the lady I spoke with when my seahorses weren't eating initially gave me a lot of suggestions and really wanted to help.

5: What is the difference between TR/PR/CB seahorses?
Don't even think about anything but CB from a few trusted sites. Captive bred seahorses should NOT be very cheap since they come from seahorses that the owner spawned in a captive system and then raised the fry in a closed captive system and then weened onto frozen foods.

6: Why is the sky blue?
Rayleigh scattering.

7: Can I mix species together?
I wouldn't?

That's like asking can I mix vampires and werewolves (NO I'm NOT a Twilight fan......). But I'm about to make a horrible analogy: you have to pick a side because either one of those will survive or none of them will survive just from their needs. For that matter, after reading over all the other guides and stuff, don't keep any other fish with seahorses (I keep an ORA blue mandarin but that's only because he eats frozen mysis after I had to re-train him. I wouldn't recommend even him though.)

Oh yah, also, maxing out your credit cards and emptying your savings for your tank helps (jk...sorta).

Avoid like heck all the LPS with sweeper tentacles (torches, frogspawn, plate, Elegance, chalices, etc.). Also, I personally thinks this tip is crucial:I set up my tank 6 months BEFORE adding in seahorses (or any fish). I went through 3 cycles: the nitrogen cycle, the diatom cycle, and the cyanobacteria cycle (that took pretty much the whole 6 months). I supplemented my pod population, added in live mysis and I have a thriving microfauna population as a result (which took a hit when I added in the mandarin but is still doing well...you can even see baby mysis swarming around in the back). I got my corals established BEFORE the seahorses and built up the tank to handle heavy feedings by feeding my corals with mysis and filter feeder food daily). My one acro frag died in this condition but when I saw my Montiporas grow, I knew they could handle it. Taking a risk with my green birdsnest though...we'll see how that pans out.

thanks for the info bro im very new to seahorses and as you may know my last seahorse didnt make it so i took down the whole tank and will be re-starting with a whole new tank(larger,better filtration,etc.) and the money part doesnt matter to me cause my dads paying for it and hes willing to spend a lot to get the proper set up its the cycling and the coral selection is what will be hard to do IMO i should be starting a tank build thread here in the seahorse section of the forums so hopefully i will have that up within 2 weeks possibly less but i doubt it

c.declivisowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 11:09 AM   #53
novahobbies
Registered Member

Quote:
That's like asking can I mix vampires and werewolves (NO I'm NOT a Twilight fan......).
Don't worry, you can be a vampire/werewolf fan without watching that horrid set of movies. That's what Underworld is for. It might not have the best of plots, but at least it has a strong female pro(???)tagonist. And besides...three words. Skin. Tight. Leather.

Quote:
For that matter, after reading over all the other guides and stuff, don't keep any other fish with seahorses (I keep an ORA blue mandarin but that's only because he eats frozen mysis after I had to re-train him. I wouldn't recommend even him though.)
I would agree with this as a good guideline for a beginner, but certainly not once the OP gains some experience. I think you should certainly START with just the horses....this is the whole point of the tank after all. But there are a few fish that can be considered safe. Small gobys, Mandarins as you mention, etc. I've currently got a Rainford's goby in QT waiting to join my seahorse stable as a matter of fact.

Quote:
Interesting you mention Chalice corals. I have two different chalice frags in my horse tank, and I've never seen any issues between the coral and the horse. I've even observed them at night for sweeper tentacles with no effect. Yes, I've heard people say Chalices and horses don't mix, but not from anyone who had actual experience with the combination. The horses crawl all over the chalices, to be honest...

novahobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 11:13 AM   #54
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies View Post
Interesting you mention Chalice corals. I have two different chalice frags in my horse tank, and I've never seen any issues between the coral and the horse. I've even observed them at night for sweeper tentacles with no effect. Yes, I've heard people say Chalices and horses don't mix, but not from anyone who had actual experience with the combination. The horses crawl all over the chalices, to be honest...
What kind of chalice ?

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 02:08 PM   #55
jck16
Registered Member

I debated about keeping chalices for a long time in my tank. I went against keeping them because they apparently do send out sweepers though not often and only if competing for space. One seahorse keeper told me that all it takes is one bad sting at some point to seriously injure a seahorse and I didn't want to take the risk.But I mean, you've had success with them and seahorses so it's probably one of those gray area coral. I would personally recommend against keeping chalices anyway in general with someone first setting up a seahorse tank....sticking with a heavily macroalgae and soft coral filled tank is probably the best route.

As for the fish tankmate comment, yeah, I'd agree. I'd think most slow non-aggressive bottom dwelling fish are probably the most ideal companions with seahorses (like gobies and dragonets). But it's definitely a good point to mention to start only with seahorses for novices (like me...for the first 2 weeks of keeping them lol).

Unread 03/16/2012, 09:29 PM   #56
novahobbies
Registered Member

Quote:
I debated about keeping chalices for a long time in my tank. I went against keeping them because they apparently do send out sweepers though not often and only if competing for space. One seahorse keeper told me that all it takes is one bad sting at some point to seriously injure a seahorse and I didn't want to take the risk.But I mean, you've had success with them and seahorses so it's probably one of those gray area coral. I would personally recommend against keeping chalices anyway in general with someone first setting up a seahorse tank....sticking with a heavily macroalgae and soft coral filled tank is probably the best route.
I couldn't agree more....and thanks for that info on the Chalices! I will definitely keep a closer eye on them from now on. One person's "good luck" does not translate to "do this, everyone!"

I usually tell people to start simple....and to be honest, sometimes the simple tanks wind up being the most beautiful. You saw Greg (Namxas)'s Macro-only tank in the FTS thread, right? Some live rock, some Caulerpa and Gracilaria, and it's absolutely stunning.

Unread 03/20/2012, 11:51 AM   #57
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:

As for the fish tankmate comment, yeah, I'd agree. I'd think most slow non-aggressive bottom dwelling fish are probably the most ideal companions with seahorses (like gobies and dragonets). But it's definitely a good point to mention to start only with seahorses for novices (like me...for the first 2 weeks of keeping them lol).
that's exactly why I asked wht kind

chalices sting ME ! so Im sure they can take seahorses in a heart beat ..

the chalice I have send out tenticles at night every night !

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2012, 08:35 PM   #58
novahobbies
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmost View Post
that's exactly why I asked wht kind
And I'm sorry I didn't notice this to answer soon! To respond -- plain old, ordinary chalices. One is a red chalice, the other, deep reddish-purple. Neither are "collector" corals, these are the common run of the mill chalices. I'm not really a huge fan of getting into the rare collector species. I keep them physically separated and I haven't seen any aggression issues.

Unread 04/06/2012, 12:50 PM   #59
brian cummings
Registered Member

Very interesting thread. Had never considered SPS and seahorses before. I too mistakenly thought there was a stinging issue. Admittedly though, I don't know a whole lot about SPS. I don't think I'll try it though, at least not anytime soon.

brian cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 04:17 PM   #60
rehype
Registered Member

Heres a pic of my H.Reidi. Ive had her for nearly 2 years in my mixed reef...

rehype is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 04:19 PM   #61
mtc1966
Registered Member

nice tank

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Current Tank Info: 58g main with 20g sump
mtc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 04:27 PM   #62
rehype
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc1966 View Post
nice tank
Thanks

Unread 04/06/2012, 08:34 PM   #63
jck16
Registered Member

Wow very nice! Any advice?

Unread 04/07/2012, 08:52 AM   #64
rehype
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow very nice! Any advice?
Thanks alot.
1.Research the species extensively that you would like to keep and make sure you can adequately care for their needs.
2.Have plenty of coral/macroalgae for your horse to hitch onto
3.Keep very peaceful tankmates
4.Ensure that they are being fed adequately by target feeding
5.Tank flow should be diverse and ensure your tank has a "calm"area for your horse to retreat to when your tank is experiencing periods of stronger flow.

Unread 04/07/2012, 11:31 AM   #65
jck16
Registered Member

I'm very curious because I'm also keeping SPS, LPS, softies and seahorses together right now with some success in a 30 gallon aquarium. I tried an acropora frag once but the frag got RTN so I never tried again. Then again I don't think I have all the equipment to keep the calcium/alk levels stable enough for them (I just use a two-part). I keep montis and a birdsnest which are all growing and I'm going to try a stylo mini-colony soon (couldn't pass up the price offered by a local member).

Could you give the specifics of your setup if you don't mind like size of tank, sump, equipment?

Unread 04/07/2012, 08:59 PM   #66
novahobbies
Registered Member

WOW. That is a beautiful tank shot. Will you share some more pictures please?

Unread 04/20/2012, 08:37 PM   #67
tjdouglas
Registered Member

I too have been keeping seahorses in a "mixed" 110 gallon tank with some acro, bird's nest, chalice, acans, polyps. I use the small wavebox from Tunze to help maintain good flow without knocking the seahorses around. Seahorses seem to like the flow this creates. I also use G3 skimmer...want to make sure you have plenty of skimming power since seahorses need to be fed at least 2X per day.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-16 16.37.06.jpg (65.6 KB, 35 views)
tjdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 08:31 AM   #68
mtc1966
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdouglas View Post
I too have been keeping seahorses in a "mixed" 110 gallon tank with some acro, bird's nest, chalice, acans, polyps. I use the small wavebox from Tunze to help maintain good flow without knocking the seahorses around. Seahorses seem to like the flow this creates. I also use G3 skimmer...want to make sure you have plenty of skimming power since seahorses need to be fed at least 2X per day.

he is a beauty

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Current Tank Info: 58g main with 20g sump
mtc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 04:12 PM   #69
novahobbies
Registered Member

I don't think I need to be reading this stuff. Not while I'm in the middle of my 110g reef tank build project. Ideas are starting to form in the back of my mind, and temptation is sneaking in....