Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2018, 12:45 PM   #1
earwicker7
Registered Member

How often have you seen fish recover from shipping trauma?

I received three Japanese Swallowtail Angelfish this morning... they had been shipped overnight.

I thought two of them were dead when I opened the box, as they were laying on their sides. When I grabbed the bags, they did move, but soon went back to "playing dead".

I acclimated them, and all three are now in quarantine. One of them seems healthy so far. The other two will move around if something brushes up against them (I only do this to make sure they aren't dead yet).

I am assuming that something in the shipping process left them in shock. I have never had this happen before... I have certainly lost fish in quarantine, but I haven't had to deal with half-dead fish out of the bag.

Is there much of a chance of them recuperating?

Last edited by earwicker7; 02/16/2018 at 01:20 PM.
earwicker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 12:50 PM   #2
HBtank
Premium Member

I would ensure they are getting plenty of aeration and just monitor like you are. Much of fish "shock" from being in a bag is centered on oxygen and gill damage if any ammonia was present, so keeping DO up is a good idea IMO.

How long did you acclimate, I assume you know the procedures for shipped fish (i.e. drip is BAD, want them out of the bag ASAP once the seal is broken).

These from LA? I think I saw them on DD.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 12:58 PM   #3
earwicker7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post
I would ensure they are getting plenty of aeration. Mush of fish "shock" is centered on oxygen and gill damage, so keeping DO up is a good idea.

How long did you acclimate, assume you know the procedures for shipped fish (i.e. drip is BAD, want them out of the bag ASAP once the seal is broken).
There is a submerged internal skimmer with no collection cup, plus an airstone, so there is tons of oxygen... I learned my lesson when I wiped out a non-aerated quarantine tank with antibiotics.

I try not to drip acclimate... I will always ask the vendor what specific gravity they use and make sure the quarantine has the same. I heat acclimate them, then dump them in a bucket, and quickly take a reading, and most of the time, the specific gravity matches and they go straight into the tank. I was told they ship using 1.018, but it arrived at 1.015, so I had no choice but to drip.

Unread 02/16/2018, 12:59 PM   #4
earwicker7
Registered Member

And no, they were from NY Aquatics.

Unread 02/16/2018, 01:03 PM   #5
HBtank
Premium Member

Well my fingers are crossed they perk up, one of the fish I would like to have someday. Sometimes things are just out of your control.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 01:18 PM   #6
earwicker7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post
Well my fingers are crossed they perk up, one of the fish I would like to have someday. Sometimes things are just out of your control.
Thanks. I really love these fish, and they aren't easy to find.

Unread 02/16/2018, 01:32 PM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

Prolonged trauma, no. Not good. It could just be light startling them. Fingers crossed here, too. But trouble should show up within 14 days.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 02:08 PM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
I was told they ship using 1.018, but it arrived at 1.015, so I had no choice but to drip.
In the future, just reduce the salinity in the QT. This happens to me all the time. I set the QT to 1.018 and then adjust down as necessary. No drip needed.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 10:30 AM   #9
earwicker7
Registered Member

Unfortunately, all three have died.