Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2016, 12:04 PM   #1
jtgrimes
Registered Member

Best Camera for Apex Fushion

Looking to add an ip camera to view and stream via apex fushion.

Currently looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0145OQTPG/...I2Z6UZ03QS10YE

Seeing if anyone had input on this type of camera, or had other cameras that work great as well.

Needs to be decent video quality and wireless and zooming/tilt capability

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Rimless - https://www.*********.com/threads/jtgrimes-110-gallon.637759/
jtgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2016, 01:33 PM   #2
soulpatch
Registered Member

Following as I have been looking for a decent camera to connection to Fusion myself. I too need panning and zoom.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2016, 01:55 PM   #3
jtgrimes
Registered Member

Yeah I have seen a few that others are using but I want good video quality etc as well not just for my tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Following as I have been looking for a decent camera to connection to Fusion myself. I too need panning and zoom.

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Rimless - https://www.*********.com/threads/jtgrimes-110-gallon.637759/
Unread 02/16/2016, 01:59 PM   #4
hkgar
Registered Member

Ask or search in the Neptune thread or community.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2016, 02:01 PM   #5
jtgrimes
Registered Member

I have. But typically I dont seem to get a good response from neptune forums as I do here on RC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Ask or search in the Neptune thread or community.

Unread 02/16/2016, 02:15 PM   #6
hkgar
Registered Member

I seem to remember a thread about that in the Neptune Community forum, but not certain.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2016, 01:13 AM   #7
mbemount
Registered Member

I did some research and ended up going with nest cameras for my tanks. They don't integrate with my apex but I can use the app on my phone or the website from my laptop. I've been very impressed thus far with them. I played around with 2 different models of Foscams and a ubiquity camera and wasn't impressed.

Unread 02/17/2016, 06:52 AM   #8
SouthFla
Registered Member

One thing to keep in mind is bandwidth. *IF* that matters to you (i.e. you DONT have an unlimited data plan) don't spend money on an HD cam. The video stream will chew thru data at an obscene rate. Even at my Foscam's paltry 640x480 resolution, mjpeg streaming over just a handful of minutes chews up 4-500mb data I keep the resolution at 320x240 for the Neptune Apex interface, and the same handful of minutes only use ~50mb of data, but it's not very detailed. My wife and I share 10GB data/month, and if I sit and watch my aquarium at higher resolutions on my iPad over cellular I burn thru data QUICK.

There are other mitigating factors like data rate and codecs used by a particular camera model, but if your data plan is capped using any higher resolution good enough to really see details of your tank will be a strain on your cellular use.

FWIW good luck!

Current Tank Info: 125G reef, Alk ~8.1, Ca 410, Mg 1350, 1.025SG
SouthFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2016, 08:08 AM   #9
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbemount View Post
I did some research and ended up going with nest cameras for my tanks. They don't integrate with my apex but I can use the app on my phone or the website from my laptop. I've been very impressed thus far with them. I played around with 2 different models of Foscams and a ubiquity camera and wasn't impressed.
Nest is great if you can get away with no movement in the camera. I cant. I need to be able to pan between tanks and zoom in on them.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2016, 08:15 AM   #10
Frontier
Duke of Valonia

Webcam support would be nice. I couldn't find any mention of whether they are working on that or not for Fusion.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 170
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2016, 10:18 AM   #11
Waters40
Registered Member

I have determined that the better option (due to the limitations of Fusion) is to set up a good HD IP camera and use the camera software rather than Fusion.

Waters40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2016, 10:41 AM   #12
jason2459
Registered Member

I love having a stream in my fusion dashboard. I also have a controllable webcam in my Sump area with really pretty good night vision and can see everything. I view it in it's own App.

But for the fusion integration I just put an old laptop under the stand with a couple cheap USB web cams. Have 3 now. The using YAWCam to stream that I added to fusion. Setup the port forwarding to the laptop and streams port numbers

http://www.yawcam.com/

In fusion

Type is basic Image/Motion Jpeg

URL http://xxxx.duckdns.org: port #/video.mjpg?q=30&fps=67

Can you can adjust the quality (q) and frames per second (fps) The default is 30% quality and 30 fps (for some reason 67 = 30?).

I can open that up in it's own browser too. I have three streams going through yawcam plus the controllable sump cam stream not in apex.

I have two up in the hood but my favorite and best pictures come from the webcam I have mounted just on the outside of the tank. I have a smaller black webcam now that's not very noticeable that's replaced this silver one but mounted the same way.

Couple zip ties wedged under the canopy

Screen shot from my cell phone of one of them up in the canopy

And from the outside side

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2016, 11:22 AM   #13
Frontier
Duke of Valonia

So then I could get a web cam and use it by streaming the feed via yawcam and then set it up like you set up an IP cam in Fusion? Is this correct?

Unread 02/17/2016, 11:31 AM   #14
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
So then I could get a web cam and use it by streaming the feed via yawcam and then set it up like you set up an IP cam in Fusion? Is this correct?
Yes that is what yawcam will do.

Just grabbed this screenshot of the stream from fusion on my phone.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 02/17/2016, 12:13 PM   #15
Frontier
Duke of Valonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Yes that is what yawcam will do.

Just grabbed this screenshot of the stream from fusion on my phone.

Great! Thanks so much for the info.

Unread 02/17/2016, 12:33 PM   #16
AZRippster
Diver & Reef Aquarium Nut

If you have an old smartphone laying around you don't use any longer, you can also use the camera in that. Both Apple and Google stores have apps that will turn your phone into an IP Camera. They work great. I had a couple of Android 3 phones I did it with. Handy and essentially free.

AZRippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2016, 05:14 PM   #17
Frontier
Duke of Valonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Great! Thanks so much for the info.
I have it working with a Logitech C920 thanks to you! I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) I don't see the play controls underneath the stream in Fusion (Play, Pause, etc). Where do I enable this?

2) I can't figure out what the querystring would be to open a password protected stream. Do you pw protect yours? If so, how do you pass in the username and pw?

Thanks -

EDIT - Forget question #1 just figured out that it's probably for switching between slideshow of different sources. I only have the one camera.

Last edited by Frontier; 02/19/2016 at 05:20 PM.
Unread 02/19/2016, 08:27 PM   #18
jason2459
Registered Member

I don't have mine password protected. If someone really wants to tap into my stream more power to them and hope they enjoy the view.

I believe it can be and I'm sure it's either on Neptune's forum or comprehensive guide where I saw it.

Unread 03/08/2016, 09:13 AM   #19
jtgrimes
Registered Member

Yeah, I think im going to try out an old tablet/phone of mine, to see what happens, as I dont need it to move. Tried out the amcrest and it wasnt doing what I needed it to do, so I sent it back.

Unread 08/29/2017, 03:34 AM   #20
majornode3
Registered Member

I got Canon EOS M3

majornode3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2017, 06:07 AM   #21
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Old iPhone 4, well I actually use two haha

Unread 10/29/2017, 09:52 AM   #22
Mojoman
Registered Member

Just to clarify Jason...if I have a computer 6-10’ away, I can buy 2-3 cheap webcams to view tank?

Mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 03:37 PM   #23
bommie
Registered Member

more questions about adding logitech to apex system

Hi

sorry to bother you. I saw this post about connecting a webcam through yawcam to the apex system. I downloaded yawcam and can see my webcam in yawcam and it tells me that my http and stream are active, but when I copy the url for either external or internal use into apex it accepts it, but I still don't get a video, any advice?

thanks

Matti

bommie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex, camera, ip camera, wireless