Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/30/2012, 09:07 AM   #51
iluvmyfishes
Registered Member

I have been keeping seahorses for years and simple is best. Use a food dish to make it easier for them to eat all the frozen, get a supply of live brine or get a hatchery and use that to suppliment a smaller portion of frozen mysis while you're away. I use my seahorse water to refll my hatchery so I do small water changes all the time. Also the seahorses HAVE to have an airstone in there for more oxygen, do NOT get a filter that will give a high flow. Get the right cleaning crew of snails. I am keeping a pair of extra large horses in a 10 gallon right now with a sponge filter and an airstone while i am rehabing them and they are just fine. I say rehab instead of quarentine because the 10 inch male was wild,had been starved and is missing the end of his tail. I've had them for over a month and they are doing really great in there. He has put on weight and every time I see him he is activly hunting the feeder shrimp I throw in. They will be ready to go into my 45gal seahorse tank soon. Be careful about putting yours into a tank that is too big for them.

iluvmyfishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2012, 05:17 PM   #52
mtc1966
Registered Member

that tank will be a nice home for them. with proper filtration a air stone is not needed . air stones and salt water equals a mess. they can take more flow then people state . as long as they have low flow areas as well . my seahorses love to play in front of my most powerful power head .

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Current Tank Info: 58g main with 20g sump
mtc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2012, 06:39 PM   #53
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc1966 View Post
that tank will be a nice home for them. with proper filtration a air stone is not needed . air stones and salt water equals a mess. they can take more flow then people state . as long as they have low flow areas as well . my seahorses love to play in front of my most powerful power head .
How do I make a screen over them so the seahorses don't hitch onto them? That's my biggest worry with powerheads

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NoobtoSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2012, 07:26 PM   #54
rayjay
Registered Member

For me it's pretty simple as I use the Hagen power heads and they sell a "Quick Filter" attachment to clip on to the intake.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2012, 07:44 AM   #55
mtc1966
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobtoSalt View Post
How do I make a screen over them so the seahorses don't hitch onto them? That's my biggest worry with powerheads

i have koralia powerheads in my current set up . i was a bit worried at first but i have not had any problems . one likes to hitchto the side and put its head directly in front of the powerhead.

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Unread 07/01/2012, 01:51 PM   #56
kudagirl
Registered Member

Hi,
I put washing tablets nets and find that they work just as well as most things, each time i do a water change i replace the nets with clean ones if the sh do go any where near them they cant get hurt

kudagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2012, 09:45 PM   #57
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Well they will likely get the move tomorrow into the new tank. All the parameters seem to be looking good. I still need some rock though. I think I'm going to order some base rock from reefrocks.net and seed it with some of my live rock.

Unread 07/02/2012, 07:35 AM   #58
mtc1966
Registered Member

check out marco rocks

Unread 07/02/2012, 09:54 AM   #59
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc1966 View Post
check out marco rocks
I actually found someone that will trade some rock for corals out of my other tank.

Unread 07/02/2012, 12:50 PM   #60
wdt2000
Registered Member

I posted this on another forum as well, you might want to invest in some diamox. good luck I really hope you can keep them alive and get them to reproduce!!

http://intaquaforum.org/hg_FAI_Syngnathid05.pdf#page=62
"H. fisheri are not suited for long-term captivity, as they do not appear to fare well in the shallow tanks of aquaria. Most specimens develop subcutaneous gas bubbles following a few months in captivity and die. It is speculated that this species needs to migrate to depths unachievable in normal aquarium conditions to maintain physiological balance."

wdt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2012, 05:23 PM   #61
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdt2000 View Post
I posted this on another forum as well, you might want to invest in some diamox. good luck I really hope you can keep them alive and get them to reproduce!!

http://intaquaforum.org/hg_FAI_Syngnathid05.pdf#page=62
"H. fisheri are not suited for long-term captivity, as they do not appear to fare well in the shallow tanks of aquaria. Most specimens develop subcutaneous gas bubbles following a few months in captivity and die. It is speculated that this species needs to migrate to depths unachievable in normal aquarium conditions to maintain physiological balance."
Not sure about the gas bubbles but thanks for the info. It's all appreciated. Everyone on here is helping me keep them alive for the longest possible for sure.

Here is the start of their new home. All cycled water from a well established tank. along with some new water. I'm getting some live rock tomorrow and should be able to get them in the tank shortly after that.

30 gallon oceanic tank
Factory florescent lighting for a few months
Home made stand
Tunze 9002 skimmer
Aquaclear ac70 filter
Koralia nano powerhead

Unread 07/02/2012, 06:23 PM   #62
mtc1966
Registered Member

nice set up . will you also be putting in some macros ? hows the out put from the nano i have heard they are some what on the week side? may want to step it up to a 1 or 2 . keep up the good work they are going to like that tank. the dimensions look real nice for sea horses

Unread 07/03/2012, 08:19 AM   #63
wdt2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Not sure about the gas bubbles but thanks for the info. It's all appreciated.
I would read up on GBD and be prepared to treat it on the spot.
http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/gbd/gbd.shtml

Check into getting some Diamox, you can pick this up from your vet.

Unread 07/03/2012, 06:00 PM   #64
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
I would read up on GBD and be prepared to treat it on the spot.
http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/gbd/gbd.shtml

Check into getting some Diamox, you can pick this up from your vet.
I'm going to check with them tomorrow. Thank you for the info.

This is a video of them eating earlier.
http://youtu.be/TM_VgWJ9nZk

Unread 07/05/2012, 04:08 PM   #65
tommer725
The boy who cried fish

good idea. Your setup looks good.

tommer725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2012, 12:04 AM   #66
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommer725 View Post
good idea. Your setup looks good.
thanks. Been busy the past few weeks for sure

Unread 07/09/2012, 07:54 PM   #67
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

The male is about ready to pop any day now.

Unread 07/10/2012, 09:38 PM   #68
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Glad I was able to get a few pictures yesterday of him............

Because if you click on the video you can see what happened this morning...

Unread 07/16/2012, 03:38 PM   #69
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

I might end up selling this pair. I just don't have the time to devote to seahorses right now.

Unread 07/16/2012, 04:13 PM   #70
Molehs
the H is silent

Quote:
I might end up selling this pair. I just don't have the time to devote to seahorses right now.

If your time is a factor because of the babies, then just catch and flush them. Sounds heartless, but it is your choice to keep them or not. I just let mine die in the system. Plenty of people have driven themselves crazy and dumped lots of money into trying to raise the fry only to have them die month after month.

Once you get your adults and yourself in a groove, there doesn't have to be too much time/work.

Unread 07/16/2012, 07:56 PM   #71
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molehs View Post
If your time is a factor because of the babies, then just catch and flush them. Sounds heartless, but it is your choice to keep them or not. I just let mine die in the system. Plenty of people have driven themselves crazy and dumped lots of money into trying to raise the fry only to have them die month after month.

Once you get your adults and yourself in a groove, there doesn't have to be too much time/work.
I'm hoping that's the case.

Unread 07/16/2012, 07:58 PM   #72
wdt2000
Registered Member

Collecting and selling the fry is another option.

Unread 07/16/2012, 09:11 PM   #73
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Collecting and selling the fry is another option.
Sounds of interest. I sent you a response back.

Unread 07/22/2012, 12:32 PM   #74
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

I'm leaning towards breaking this tank down. It's not fair to the fish at this point And i just don't have the time to care for them properly. I'm going to contact a local person first but otherwise these horses will be up for sale soon

Unread 07/23/2012, 11:16 AM   #75
Tmoriarty
Registered Member

I just read through this whole thread. A ways back you got upset because someone else wanted to take over the sea horses and now you are thinking about selling them? Just trying to give you perspective on your own posts.

They should not be to much more care then any of your other salt water tanks, I say stick with it and just figure out the cycle. Do not worry about trying to raise the fry, just keep at it with the horses. You have the chance to keep some very rare and special animals that many people would never get the chance to do.

You are already at the advantage of having sea horses that eat frozen food, if nothing else that right there would be enough to make me keep at it. Would you honestly rather sell them to someone else who in the end cares for them improperly and ends up killing them?

At least you have shown that you want to care for them, every post I have read shows that. I say stick to it, try the best you can to deal with it, and if nothing else try to stress out less about the little guys. If water changes are to much try doing WC's using the water from your SPS tank, I am sure it is fairly clean and it would help you do less work and save you money. Some people may not advise it because of the potential for pathogens, but then again your horses were WC anyways so what could it hurt at this point.

Keep at it you can do it.

Current Tank Info: Tanks: 203g custom, Mixed Reef, SRO-3000, Vortech-Powered (x2 MP40) 75g sump with 15g Fuge section
Tmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote