Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/11/2017, 09:56 AM   #1
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Nitrogen cycle and new live rock

I bought some live rock which is in a tank at the moment and I've just tested the water and I got the following results;

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate- 10ppm

Does this means it is cycled and ready to go? Is it safe to put my fish in a 50ppm?

Thanks

Last edited by fishkeeprian; 11/11/2017 at 10:46 AM.
fishkeeprian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 10:38 AM   #2
Jeramirez85
Registered Member

How long has it been setup/cycling?

Jeramirez85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 10:39 AM   #3
Bulldog39
Registered Member

Wow I need those readings. Lol time to get more live rock i guess

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bulldog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 10:46 AM   #4
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeramirez85 View Post
How long has it been setup/cycling?
I bought fully cured rock. I had some in since yesterday and bought a bit more today.

Unread 11/11/2017, 10:48 AM   #5
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeprian View Post
I bought some live rock which is in a tank at the moment and I've just tested the water and I got the following results;

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate- 10ppm

Does this means it is cycled and ready to go? Is it safe to put my fish in a 50ppm?

Thanks
I used API for the Ammonia and nitrite and salifert for the nitrate. The reading is actually 10ppm not 50. I was looking at the viral from the side which is incorrect. With the salifert you look from above and it reads out at 10ppm.

Unread 11/11/2017, 01:34 PM   #6
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

"Cycled" means stable and with enough bacteria to consume the ammonia waste in your system. It's hard to answer that when the rock has only been in the system for a day. Does it look clean? Was it exposed to air or otherwise likely to have a lot of die-off?

Clean rock without a lot of live/dead crud or waste on it, which is kept in properly maintained water, can certainly be "cycled" without waiting any time at all in a new system. Dirty live rock caked with waste or dead algae/whatever that's been mishandled or shipped across the country may test out the same on day one, but after a day or two you may see a spike that lasts a few weeks as things settle down.

So, you really have to let us know how the rock looks and how it was handled. Or, wait a few days and test again.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 02:09 PM   #7
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
"Cycled" means stable and with enough bacteria to consume the ammonia waste in your system. It's hard to answer that when the rock has only been in the system for a day. Does it look clean? Was it exposed to air or otherwise likely to have a lot of die-off?

Clean rock without a lot of live/dead crud or waste on it, which is kept in properly maintained water, can certainly be "cycled" without waiting any time at all in a new system. Dirty live rock caked with waste or dead algae/whatever that's been mishandled or shipped across the country may test out the same on day one, but after a day or two you may see a spike that lasts a few weeks as things settle down.

So, you really have to let us know how the rock looks and how it was handled. Or, wait a few days and test again.

Rock is really clean. They person I bought it of said it had been in their vat for at least 6 weeks. And I bought it home in water. About 40 min drive. The other pieces were shipped in some waters and we're delivered next day via courier.

Unread 11/11/2017, 02:55 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its cycled already.. (as in before you even got it)..