Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/28/2013, 05:19 PM   #76
saltyjo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownfishSushi View Post
Rotifers for the first 21-25 days. Three times a day at first, once a day towards the end. I overlap Otohime A starting around day 3 with each feeding. They eventually get crushed golden pearls and freeze dried cyclopseeze depending on their growth. Usually around the 2nd week. Final food stage is normal foods, frozen, flake and pellet.

The important thing is that you overlap food sizes and feed at the same time. They need to be taught that the new item is food even though it's not moving.
Jason,
Just to see how someone else does it, about how many cups of rotifers are you straining to add to your fry tank?
Thanks
Jo

saltyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2013, 06:43 PM   #77
alan.reef
Registered Member

Fantastic thread. dont you mind sharing, how you collect fry when they hatch.
thank you.

alan.reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2013, 11:31 AM   #78
ClownfishSushi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyjo View Post
Jason,
Just to see how someone else does it, about how many cups of rotifers are you straining to add to your fry tank?
Thanks
Jo
I use a clear glass measuring cup that you'd find in your kitchen. I feed 400 ml's of rotifer solution at first but gradually reduce the number and frequency of the feedings over time.

Unread 01/29/2013, 11:43 AM   #79
ClownfishSushi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.reef View Post
Fantastic thread. dont you mind sharing, how you collect fry when they hatch.
thank you.
I've always manually collected fry on hatch night. I simply shut off all filtration and powerheads while completely blacking out the room. I then place a single white LED on top of the tank and they fry are drawn to it like moths to a flame. I use a tea cup to scoop them up right at the surface.

Up until now that's the way I've always done it. It's pretty easy but can be time consuming. I can easily spend 2 hours waiting for them to hatch and then another hour doing the collecting.

Last week my Vossen Fry Trap arrived. It's basically a kressel style trap that is powered by air bubbles. I put it in the tank and a few hours later it managed to collect at least 90% of the free swimming fry. I'm ok with those numbers. But the problem was that at least 1/3rd of the fry showed some minor damage from the collection process. There is a balancing point with the air bubbles where too little means the fry escape and too much mean the fry get clobbered. I'm going to play around with a bubble diffuser on the bottom to see if finer bubbles can create more current while being more gentle at the same time. Aside from the losses of the weaker fry, the remaining fry appear unharmed and are looking good 5 days later. I think the device could also be improved with opaque plastic on the far side to stop the light from escaping. It was also a complete pain to transfer the fry from the trap to the larva tank. First I was dealing with suction cups, then water pouring out, fry getting sloshed around, etc... I might stick with my manual collection process and just use the fry trap to catch any stragglers overnight.

Unread 01/29/2013, 05:57 PM   #80
ClownfishSushi
Registered Member

Onyx Spawn 01.28.13

Should hatch next Tuesday.

Unread 04/29/2013, 04:18 PM   #81
ClownfishSushi
Registered Member

Quick update on the Onyx juveniles. Who is ready for some Xmas Onyx in July? The trademark black is finally staring to show!

Unread 04/29/2013, 04:44 PM   #82
Lou Young
Registered Member

Awesomeness!! Those look very nice. I thought onyx were not suppose to start getting their black until they were older? You parents must be very nice genes. Congrats!!

Lou Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2013, 05:36 PM   #83
ClownfishSushi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Young View Post
Awesomeness!! Those look very nice. I thought onyx were not suppose to start getting their black until they were older? You parents must be very nice genes. Congrats!!
Thanks! They come directly from the C-Quest line developed by Bill Addison. In another 4 months most of these juveniles will be completely black from head to tail.

Unread 04/29/2013, 10:29 PM   #84
sassAwrasse
Registered Member

nice clowns!

sassAwrasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2013, 02:37 AM   #85
Anget
Registered Member

They are gorgeous Jason great work. I wish you weren't so far from me as I would be ordering some off you

Anget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2013, 02:42 AM   #86
ChrisBWoodysRee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownfishSushi View Post
There is no better way to start off the work week than with some baby Onyx cuteness! 87 DPH. Body stripes clearly visible and the rich, dark coloration is starting to take over!

NICE ONYX! & just wondering if anyone else niced it says the very first post was made in 1969? haha or sumn like that

ChrisBWoodysRee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2013, 04:26 AM   #87
ClownfishSushi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBWoodysRee View Post
NICE ONYX! & just wondering if anyone else niced it says the very first post was made in 1969? haha or sumn like that
weird. says January 30, 2012 for me?