Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2016, 11:58 AM   #551
glaukos
Registered Member

Amazing vid dave,thanks for sharing
Have my tank get some natural light too,not directly though.Have a vid too with it but i don't want to hijack your thread
New corals always show to get a bit shocked when the sun hits them but after a couple of months of being a bit bleached they get used to it and get their color back.

Unread 08/16/2016, 01:05 PM   #552
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

I'm on page 3...and you got me hooked already. I've never seen this thread before, and I'm so excited I found it. I love that you do most everything yourself, and I hope I someday have a tank even half as nice as yours.

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2016, 10:29 AM   #553
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hello Everyone,

Tank has been doing really well recently. Currently on the hunt to try to catch a Giant Black Clawed crab in the tank. Found a huge shed shell recently and lost some valuable fish. But corals are doing well and growing well.

Working on cleaning up the outside frag system and tanks.

Installed a webcam on the outside frag tanks. Check out the frag tank Live --- remember it's outside, so if the sun is down in California you won't see much

Webcam for Frag tank http://74.62.193.110:85

Webcam for Fish Tank http://74.62.193.110

Enjoy.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2016, 03:36 PM   #554
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

You sir win the internet for those webcams. I especially love the drop down menu, want to see your giant clam? bam pan, zoom, perfect, oregon tort frags, zip whammo.

Unread 08/18/2016, 09:21 PM   #555
Tim
Registered Member

Tank looks so awesome well done sir!

Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2016, 11:18 PM   #556
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hey Guys,

The revamp of the outdoor system continues. Making big strides in cleaning up the electrical. This week's projects included a new light/fan rack for over the frag tank as well as a new outdoor control box for the Apex controls. And some sexy touchless switches so I can shut the pumps off without my hands getting wet.

The new frag tank webcam seems to be working well. Trying to make access to the webcams easier.

Display tank webcam o2manyfish.com/webcam

Fragtank webcam o2manyfish.com/fragtank

Still have plenty of Xenia to donate. Hit me up if you want some.

Dave B

Unread 08/27/2016, 05:23 PM   #557
saf1
Registered Member

O2Many - you may have answered this already, is so I apologize. How is rainfall handled? I don't remember how much rainfall you guys get yearly but I can't imagine it being like up North here. I'm guessing less than 20"?

Does it float on top like what happens in a estuary? Or do your power heads or other circulation move enough water to actually mix it in - or go over the overflow into the sump and get mixed in?

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2016, 10:30 AM   #558
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Saf1,

The fish and corals really don't care about the rain, they are already wet

Our rainfall is pretty minimal. We have been in a drought for 30+ years.

The amount of exposed surface area in relation to the size of the system means rain is no big deal.

And with the surface area I do have, even on a rainy day I evaporate as much as 10 gallons.

There is so much flow in each exposed tank and the rainfall is so slow, That the water is always mixed.

For the expected El Nino this past winter I did buy some Eazy Up tents to cover the tanks just to be prepared. But we never needed them.

Dave B

Unread 08/30/2016, 10:34 AM   #559
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Shot some video of just the reef tank. I have been fighting my calcium reactor for months and finally have some stability with my ALK. I think the corals in the tank are looking okay but not amazing at the moment. I also have a number of corals with some STN issues. A couple of them I know why, and I couple of them I have no idea.

But until I know everything is stable for a few weeks I'm not going to start pulling my hair out. And the outside tanks the corals are flourishing and I haven't lost any frags.

Hopefully I will get to meet lots of you at MACNA next weekend. I will be there the whole weekend and helping some vendors do setup. If you're heading to MACNA let's make sure we meet up and put faces with screen names.

Dave B

Dave B

Unread 08/30/2016, 12:09 PM   #560
Goat33
Registered Member

Amazed every time you post your tank. How is the colini in the outside tank doing?

Goat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2016, 12:28 PM   #561
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Wow your tank keeps giving me hope I will get back to the promise land. Really hope to see you at MACNA though, nice to put faces to tanks

Unread 08/30/2016, 12:45 PM   #562
m0nkie
Registered Member

Hi Dave. Do you have aggression between those yellow and purple tang? I'm thinking about adding a trio of blue tang and some yellows.

Unread 08/30/2016, 02:19 PM   #563
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Goat33,

The Colini was doing fantastic in the outside tanks. Fish was filled out and not shy at all.

I went out one night and caught the angel sleeping between a couple of xenia boxes. I reached in and scooped him up with my bare hand. He was sound asleep. I carried him into the display tank and the fish never flipped it's tail at all. Dropped him in and he went and found a new place to sleep. Next day the Colini was out and about.

The Colini was totally at ease in the tank. Nobody was bothering him. He wouldn't take any kind of food offerred. But he was feeding off the rocks and picking all over. After a week he started to lose weight. I tried everything to get him more things to eat, but he just kept wasting away. I tried to catch him, but in my tank there is no chance at that. And then 2 weekends ago he was there Saturday night and gone on Sunday.

The Colini are really tough fish to keep. I was so thrilled that this one was not shy, and was doing so well. I figured if he had enough to eat in the frag tank - which is just egg crate and frags, then in the display tank with 1000+ lbs of rock, I thought he would have plenty to eat. My mandarins look like balloon animals. But I was not successful.

The Goldflakes (2) outside are doing awesome. I am enjoying them outside so much I decided to leave them and get another pair for inside the house, but my wife said "No". Given in the past couple of months we have gotten Colini, Navarchus, Red Sea Regal, Goldflakes (3), Joculator.... I had to respect her "No". She also told me no to a Gem Tang. You can't ask for a better wife than that

Dave B

Unread 08/30/2016, 02:20 PM   #564
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Sfsuphysics,

I should be easy to spot - I will be the bald guy with one of the brightest Hawaiian shirts at the show. Depending on the day you might also catch me a in kilt

Dave B

Unread 08/30/2016, 02:22 PM   #565
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Monkie/Tony

My purple tang has finally outgrown the yellows, and he is definitely trying to be the boss. When you have just a couple of fish they get aggressive. When you have so many fish, within chaos there is peace. All the yellows (8), purple, hippo (2), Chevron and Achilles get along with very little issues. There is on yellow who has some old fin damage, but the rest of the tangs, if you watch the video are in great shape - no scratches or tears.

I just picked up a tiny chevron. I am letting him settle in and color up outside, and hope to add him to the mix in the near future.

Dave B

Unread 08/30/2016, 07:45 PM   #566
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
Saf1,

The fish and corals really don't care about the rain, they are already wet

Our rainfall is pretty minimal. We have been in a drought for 30+ years.

The amount of exposed surface area in relation to the size of the system means rain is no big deal.

And with the surface area I do have, even on a rainy day I evaporate as much as 10 gallons.

There is so much flow in each exposed tank and the rainfall is so slow, That the water is always mixed.

For the expected El Nino this past winter I did buy some Eazy Up tents to cover the tanks just to be prepared. But we never needed them.

Dave B
Makes sense. Up North we get more and I tend to forget about our brothers and sisters down South Now it could work if I had a green house...

You will have to show a picture of the shirt you are wearing. I wonder how it would compare to my bright blue Roger & Jessica Rabbit shirt.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2016, 12:42 AM   #567
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Had a great time at MACNA this past weekend.

Got to see some of my reefing friends but not enough.

At MACNA the wife came home with some really cool clowns from ProAquatix.

Which was a good thing, because she didn't seem to mind the new purchases I got after MACNA....

Dave B

Unread 09/16/2016, 04:37 AM   #568
juniorrocketdad
Registered Member

Nice tank

juniorrocketdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2016, 10:13 AM   #569
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Hey Dave !! Wished I was at macna. Had my wife's brothers wedding that weekend. Hope all is well. Tank looks great. I miss being in the hobby but it was nice time off and will soon be taking a massive plunge. Almost ready here. Going to do a whole fresh water system check first. Enjoy weekend.

hedgedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2016, 01:21 AM   #570
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Andrew,

Sorry you didn't make it to MACNA. I hope you end up with Wayne's babies. If there is anything I can do to assist with the adoption please let me know.

If you have time would love to grab a phone call with you and hear how everything is going.

Dave B

Unread 09/30/2016, 01:22 AM   #571
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Short and sweet....

Dave B

Unread 09/30/2016, 07:23 AM   #572
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Sure Dave let's speak. 9172091125 after mkt at 4 or weekend

hedgedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2016, 11:40 AM   #573
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Hello Dave,
Never seen more than two Goldflake at time. Now seen four and 3 juvenile together with navarchus imperator and Pygoplites in frag tank. So much people told me angels and corals does not work. I will send them your link next time

Great display tank. Love your tank and your 2manyfish

Grüße Torben

Gesendet mit Tapatalk

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 01:07 PM   #574
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

What is the name of those plastic crate/bin thingys? They aren't just standard gaylord boxes are they? They look bigger than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
Here is the first generation of the filtration system finished.

I'm an addict when it comes to marine aquarium keeping. So when I came across an opportunity to pick up some frag tanks I grabbed it.

But I don't have a garage or a spare room to set them up in. So being that I live in Southern California I took advantage of our warm weather and setup my frag tanks outside.

The outdoor frag tanks were hugely successful. The colors were fantastic. Growth in the sunlight was amazing. And the outdoor system continued to expand. I ran the outdoor tanks
from 2003 until 2006. In 2008 I was having issues with the system overall - Which I will get to eventually and took the frag tanks down to minimize system size and give me some
more control over the parameters of the system. At the height my system volume was about 2100g. All the flow to both inside and outside was handled by a single Dolphin 3600 Ampmaster,
and I used gravity to flow the water between the 5 outside tanks.

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2016, 09:21 PM   #575
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Video - Fish Update for Oct 2016

Andrew -- Had some crisis to deal with and haven't had time to catch up with you, things are slowing down and I will find time to call and chat.

Torben - Thank you for the compliments. Yes 4 Goldflakes is something I haven't seen before. I told my wife we need to pick 2 to move to the display tank, and now she says, "No, I like the 4 outside - you go find 2 more for inside". Since the last update I have added a pair of Golden Angels and a trio of multi-bar that I am baby sitting for someone. With all those angels outside other than losing a couple of frags of zoas that corals are doing fantastic and nothing is being nibbled on.

Lifeoffaith -- Those bins are called Tomato bins. I have a several extras I have been trying to find homes for.

Here is an update on the fish in the display tank.

Dave B