Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/26/2016, 11:54 PM   #576
m0nkie
Registered Member

Great video Dave!

For the livestream: how far you placed the Axis camera away from the tank? I really like how you can look at the tank anywhere you want.

Also, while the clarity and the zoom functions are really great, the video is a little choppy. is that due to the server hosting the video? does it cost money to keep a livestream going?

thanks! I'm not very internet/tech savy. I'll need to hire someone to install a system

Unread 10/27/2016, 01:24 AM   #577
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Tony,

The Axis on the tank is only 10' away. It has the ability to look all the way across the help but I have the view limited so the wife and I can still have fun downstairs.

The choppy video depends on the connection and how many users are watching the camera. I only have a 5mb upstream connection. It cues 25 users for control, but it can have up to 50+ people watching the stream at one time. Each additional user grabs some bandwidth.

After I add a new video to Youtube, I can get as many as 2000 views in a day on the camera from all over the world. So the traffic can bog it down a bit.

It's not really that much of a system to install. The camera just sits across from the tank. You hook it up to your network and it's running (for in house).

Getting web access requires having either static IP's or using a Dynamic DNS service - This allows you to get to the camera from any internet connected device.

Tony, you got all the cool toys - next time you are up this way you have to visit the house.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2016, 02:15 AM   #578
m0nkie
Registered Member

Thanks Dave! I definitely will visit. been wanting to check out your systems!

I got everything until the static IP and DSN server lol.. that part I will leave to the pros. I'll look into this camera once I get some fish going

Unread 11/03/2016, 12:30 AM   #579
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Just say no to LED's

Unread 11/03/2016, 02:38 AM   #580
m0nkie
Registered Member

love that Goldflake!

I'm trying to stock up on small fish too. Can you recommend some Angels that are more on the reef safe side? thanks!

Unread 11/03/2016, 04:34 AM   #581
dave.m
Registered Member

I agree on the lighting. You just can't beat natural colouring as opposed to the dayglo weirdness many people go for with LEDs. Natural still looks best to my eye.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2016, 10:25 AM   #582
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Tony,

Angels always have the potential for causing trouble.

100% Reef safe angels would be the Bellus Angels, Swallowtails and Zebras.

In my 30+ years of salt keeping every tank has always had a flame angel. And only 1 was problematic with clams.

I have been in love with Goldflakes and keeping them for 15+ years and they are really well behaved - but then one day they eat a clump of your favorite zoas - You may have 100 different clumps of zoas - and they will just eat one clump - and they will eat all of that clump and then no more for 6 months.

I have always had great luck with pygmy angels. I love the cuteness of the Cherub pymgy - But the Brazilian flamebacks are much prettier.

I'm not sure why I have the multi-color - They are so pretty when sitting in a small cube at the fish store - but once inside my tank they like to hide and there colors are always dark. But it's got purple on it - So I keep them.

My Red Sea Regal in the display tank has been in there for 4.5 years and has never mis-behaved.

I have a trio of Venustus in the display tank and they have never done any damage.

I have a trio of Golden Angels - They are super super reclusive. I actually have a better chance of spotting them when watching the tank during the day with the lights off. They come out and you can see them nip at the underside of a coral - But they never 'work' a spot. They nip and move on. They don't do any damage.

And then I have my multi-bar angel --- the Poorman's Peppermint angel. These fish are neat - They have such a nice slow movement thru the tank. Very challenging to get to feed and flourish in captivity. Mine has been around for 3 years and he as destroyed a bunch of Acans. The acans went into the tank slowly and did great for almost a year and then in a couple of days the multi-bar took out all the acans.

Now outside in the frag tank currently I have the Imperator, Navarchus, Red Sea Mis Bar Regal, 4 goldflakes - and am baby sitting some golden angels and some misbar - With that population of angels in a frag tank with no rock they are so well behaved. I have lost a couple of zoa frags - But I have other zoas untouched. The frags outside are not nipped picked or damaged with all those angels. - And the Navarchus and Imperator I would not label as reef safe.

Dave.M --- Thank you - The sunlight colors can be really cool. It amazes me how some things can be so different. These crazy blue frags in the video, the mother colony in the tank isn't even close to a blue color.

Dave B

Unread 11/03/2016, 11:40 AM   #583
m0nkie
Registered Member

thanks Dave! I will check them out.

Unread 11/03/2016, 01:49 PM   #584
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

damn the display tank, I think I could just stare at that frag tank all day.

Unread 11/03/2016, 05:25 PM   #585
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
I agree on the lighting. You just can't beat natural colouring as opposed to the dayglo weirdness many people go for with LEDs. Natural still looks best to my eye.

Dave.M
Natural sunlight is amazing, huh I am actually surprised by the colors if truth be told. Scuba diving most if not all SPS I've seen is nothing like what we keep in our aquaria.

O2 - thanks for the angel list. I may have to actually find a couple that are soft and LPS coral friendly - or more I should say. The golds are out of my price point comfort level for now but every time I visit your updates it wants me to add a couple of the standard angles and pygmies. The good news I guess is that I'll have room after upgrading from my 40 breeder to a 240

I would get a kick out of adding a couple of the angels I see while diving in Hawaii but their names escape me nor do I even know if they are for sale let alone friendly. One thing I notice with your tank, or those that keep them, their tanks are more mature. 1/4 of my tank will be mature while the rest is catching up (new rock, etc).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg a2.jpg (91.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg a3.jpg (75.0 KB, 104 views)

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2016, 06:05 PM   #586
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
Natural sunlight is amazing, huh I am actually surprised by the colors if truth be told. Scuba diving most if not all SPS I've seen is nothing like what we keep in our aquaria.
The reasons for that is that the corals that actually make it to be sold/traded to us are the 1%ers of the group, the majority of what you see in the ocean is not what collectors will grab, whether it's "WC" or mariculture So they are already the bright purples/blues/pinks in the ocean, and it's no wonder they look phenomenal in his frag tank.

Unread 11/03/2016, 11:57 PM   #587
dave.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1
I would get a kick out of adding a couple of the angels I see while diving in Hawaii but their names escape me nor do I even know if they are for sale let alone friendly.
Best to learn the differences between angels and butterfly fish. Your first image is of a four spot butterfly, Chaetodon quadrimaculatus Kona. Second one is of a milletseed butterfly, Chaetodon miliaris. The previous issue of Coral Magazine had a whole article on butterfly fish.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2016, 07:08 AM   #588
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Best to learn the differences between angels and butterfly fish. Your first image is of a four spot butterfly, Chaetodon quadrimaculatus Kona. Second one is of a milletseed butterfly, Chaetodon miliaris. The previous issue of Coral Magazine had a whole article on butterfly fish.

Dave.M
Then there is that Thanks for the tip on the magazine. I'll track it down and read it.

Unread 11/13/2016, 07:08 PM   #589
saf1
Registered Member

o2manyfish - I'd like to file a complaint regarding your purple tang! I was trying to grab a screen shot of this fish you have but the purple tang kept photo bombing and hanging out in the same place. It is like it knew what I was trying to do and trolling me.

There was a smaller, slender, purple looking fish hanging out around the Ora Red Planet (pre-set video). It caught my eye so I wanted to see what sort of fish it was. Anyway, the big old purple tang decided to hang out there. I tried a few more times but the fish ended up moving away then someone else took control and alas I'll never know what fish it was.

Kidding of course regarding the complaint but did have some fun even though your tang was seriously trolling me.

Unread 03/10/2017, 02:22 AM   #590
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Saf1,

I am pretty sure the fish you were trying to take a photo of is one of my ORA Frimandi Pseudochromis, there are at least 3 of them. 2 have been caught spawning.

Dave B

Unread 03/10/2017, 02:24 AM   #591
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Finally a positive update.

Hey Guys,

The past 5 months my tank has been assaulted by instability from so many different issues, and then when we had the big rains last month a 14 hour power outage while I was up in San Francisco.

But things are starting to stabilize. I got motivated to take some photos of the happy corals.

Shooting with a Canon D70, 105mm Macro and no tripod.

Lighting is Radion G3 Pro running 20k color profile at 70%

Miyagi Tort Outside in Frag Tank

Bizzaro Chyphastrea

This is the tip of my AEFW Proof Purple Tip, Turquoise Stag. This is huge and right next to my Red Planet that has been filled with AEFW for over 2 years. And not once has there been one on this colony. Colony is huge and I have tons of frags available (free to locals)

My Grafted Monti Colony is amazing and huge. It keeps getting 'Fragged' by the glass magnet cleaner. This little plate was under a bigger plate I broke off a few weeks ago - entirely in the dark. Now look 3 weeks later... Amazing Coral.

My Millies are amazing. They don't catch my eye, they always have AEFW, and then I get up above them over the tank, and I am just stunned by what they are hiding.

I have a Miyagi Tort that just keeps growing and growing. The first photo is from a piece I mounted Horizontal and it keeps growing just horizontal. First photo is the tips and you can just see the green starting to appear at the top

This is the base of one of the Miyagi colonies

Part 1....

Unread 03/10/2017, 02:35 AM   #592
o2manyfish
Registered Member

This is the base of my Rainbow Millie

And this is the tips

Here is my Rainbow Monti that is slowly starting to color and expand

And here is my Kung Pao Monti

Dave B

Unread 03/10/2017, 09:08 AM   #593
thetedinator
Registered Member

Very nice. Thanks for posting these macros.

Current Tank Info: 240g tank
thetedinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 12:47 PM   #594
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hey Ted,

Thanks, I was really impressed that the shots turned out so well without using a Tripod or remote shutter release. I would say only maybe 1 out 8 photos I shot were not in good focus.

The Anacrapora you brought over (was that a month ago) has tripled in size on the bottom level of the outdoor frag rack. And the color is outrageous with super bright red polyps. I just gave Joe Kelly a Frag on Thursday, and I cut a frag to put inside, and its still twice as big as what you brought over.

How is Buddy?

Dave B

Unread 03/10/2017, 02:42 PM   #595
slief
RC Sponsor

Damn!! Those are some great pictures and great looking corals! Glad to see things rebounding!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 02:45 PM   #596
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
Saf1,

I am pretty sure the fish you were trying to take a photo of is one of my ORA Frimandi Pseudochromis, there are at least 3 of them. 2 have been caught spawning.

Dave B
Hi Dave. Thanks! That is it.

Added to my list. Appreciate it. Also - was kidding about the complaint

Unread 03/10/2017, 02:58 PM   #597
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

amazing colors man

tmantaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 07:14 PM   #598
thetedinator
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
Hey Ted,

Thanks, I was really impressed that the shots turned out so well without using a Tripod or remote shutter release. I would say only maybe 1 out 8 photos I shot were not in good focus.

The Anacrapora you brought over (was that a month ago) has tripled in size on the bottom level of the outdoor frag rack. And the color is outrageous with super bright red polyps. I just gave Joe Kelly a Frag on Thursday, and I cut a frag to put inside, and its still twice as big as what you brought over.

How is Buddy?

Dave B
What! No pics of the WWC Slimeball? J/K.

Buddy is doing great. He has adult colors now and the misbar is still there.

Ted

Current Tank Info: 240g tank
thetedinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2017, 08:07 AM   #599
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Hello Dave,

fantastic pictures! Fantastic corals! Fantastic tank! Hope in a few jears I make nearly the same journey. Congrats

Grüße Torben

Gesendet mit Tapatalk

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 03:15 AM   #600
o2manyfish
Registered Member

New Toy For the Tank

Hey Guys,

Check out the new Toy for the tank.

Enjoy

Dave B