Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2018, 09:24 PM   #101
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Tonight we started working on laying the Formica on the inside of the canopy. It’s a pain in the *** to work with but the protection it should provide is very worth it.

I’ll start working on the smaller pieces tomorrow and hopefully finish it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JaySchulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 08:46 AM   #102
halmus
Registered Member

I just caught up with your build. Looks great! Love the location and tank dimensions.

Formica is a nice touch. Are you using contact cement or is this a product that has heat activated glue on the backing? I can’t imagine the toxic stink of contact cement in that beautiful space. Or, I should say I can’t imagine a wife tolerating that.

Keep up the good work.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 03:20 PM   #103
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
I just caught up with your build. Looks great! Love the location and tank dimensions.

Formica is a nice touch. Are you using contact cement or is this a product that has heat activated glue on the backing? I can’t imagine the toxic stink of contact cement in that beautiful space. Or, I should say I can’t imagine a wife tolerating that.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks Halmus! After reading so many horror stories on the forums of people with large tanks experiencing water damage I knew I needed to protect the areas around the tank. I thought Formica was perfect because it is non porous and I could seal the whole canopy area.

I am using contact cement haha and yea it smelt pretty bad yesterday. She actually didn’t say anything now that I think about it.

Unread 02/09/2018, 03:55 PM   #104
reefmutt
Registered Member

I might have mentioned this already..
That wife of yours is a keeper!!!
Nice job so far.
Good to see the progress.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 04:06 PM   #105
Editour2
Frank

following......nice dimensions on the tank.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 01:28 PM   #106
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I might have mentioned this already..
That wife of yours is a keeper!!!
Nice job so far.
Good to see the progress.
Haha she is an awesome wife and mom that puts up with my ****.

Thanks and Im hoping to finish the Formica tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editour2 View Post
following......nice dimensions on the tank.
Thank you.

Unread 02/11/2018, 02:05 PM   #107
vetteguy53081
Registered Member

Im going to say one thing . . . . . WOW!!!!!!

vetteguy53081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 05:23 PM   #108
JaySchulz
Registered Member

So I got the whole canopy lined with the Formica. The house smells horrible from the contact cement and Formica is a pain in the ***. Never again.

Tomorrow I plan on taking a router and file to the edges to clean it all up and caulking all the edges for a good waterproof seal. Also I’m going to start working on a good method to hang my 4 mh reflectors. I also might add supplemental lighting in the future and I know it will be difficult to work on because of the columns that hang below the ceiling. That said I want to implement brackets or hooks that are there if and when I want to add to the lighting in the future.

Unread 02/11/2018, 06:45 PM   #109
halmus
Registered Member

I should have asked if you were using a charcoal filter face mask while working with the contact cement. That stuff is toxic. I used up over 16 sheets on my fish room counters.

As far as future proofing the lighting area with brackets, I really like unistrut. I found aluminum unistrut at Grainger and it allows for a lot of reengineering down the road. Or, 8020 products. A few lengths of either of those permanently mounted would allow for easy changes down the road without constantly drilling new holes in the Formica you invested so many brain cells and time installing.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 10:05 AM   #110
JaySchulz
Registered Member

So the last couple days I’ve got a good amount done. I caulked the seams/edges of the Formica. I’ll need to touch up some places later on.

I started working on hanging the lights before I move the tank back. My first try was using the cables that Hamilton Lights provided to individually hang all 4 lights. I got 3 in and decided i wasn’t going to be happy. It was practically impossible to get them straight and then they wouldn’t stay straight. The weight of the bulb socket weighed down one end. It look way to unclean. And the biggest problem is that I couldn’t reach the inside cable should I need to adjust the height in the future. I decided to stop and take a trip to Lowe’s. Pictures of how it looked.

At Lowe’s I bought some different pieces to hang 2 lights together which would make the adjustment points on the outer most edge of the interior canopy. It the weight of the socket was not a problem and the lights are much easier to level out.

It looks much better.

Unread 02/14/2018, 10:40 AM   #111
Benson0219
Registered Member

Nice work... looks great!

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Reef Tank
Benson0219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 02:50 PM   #112
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Awesome choice on the halide. Any reason you didn't go with the cozomule instead?

Zacktosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 03:02 PM   #113
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacktosterone View Post
Awesome choice on the halide. Any reason you didn't go with the cozomule instead?
When I ordered I originally was going to buy the Cozumel and the girl from Hamilton talked me into the Cabo Sun instead of the Cozumel because they are in a canopy and cheaper. I honestly wish I would of just stuck with the Cozumel. Regardless if it’s in the canopy, I would of rather it looked better and the biggest reason I’ve kicked myself is because of the splash shield. You live and learn though.

Unread 02/14/2018, 03:12 PM   #114
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySchulz View Post
When I ordered I originally was going to buy the Cozumel and the girl from Hamilton talked me into the Cabo Sun instead of the Cozumel because they are in a canopy and cheaper. I honestly wish I would of just stuck with the Cozumel. Regardless if it’s in the canopy, I would of rather it looked better and the biggest reason I’ve kicked myself is because of the splash shield. You live and learn though.
Some of the best tanks ever run that style of reflector (called lumenarc ) sanjay Josh used those over his 500 gallon for years. I'm probably going to buy a set to replace my cebu Sun with. How bright are those puppies

Unread 02/14/2018, 08:16 PM   #115
Editour2
Frank

2 things or concerns: I have installed formica on bathroom cabinets and sometimes over a period of time the moisture lifts the formica on the edges. I'm just wondering what the salt creep will do. Second...have you considered a light rack that could slide your lights out of the way, up/down and in/out for work on the tank and bulb replacement?

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Unread 02/14/2018, 09:45 PM   #116
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Quote:
2 things or concerns: I have installed formica on bathroom cabinets and sometimes over a period of time the moisture lifts the formica on the edges. I'm just wondering what the salt creep will do. Second...have you considered a light rack that could slide your lights out of the way, up/down and in/out for work on the tank and bulb replacement?
That's a big deal. I would heavily consider a light rack. I have one. I wouldn't be able to cope without one

Unread 02/16/2018, 06:47 AM   #117
Mknuwet
Registered Member

Coming along beautifully

Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 01:06 PM   #118
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:
I had originally wanted to do an elaborate light rack but I became pressed for time on keeping the tank on the temporary stand. So my mom is actually getting out of the hospital today after a 6 month battle for her life. She will be moving into my study so I can help her get back to a somewhat independant life. The problem is the tank was on that temporary stand but it blocks my front door and the study that my mom will be staying in. I told myself I wouldn’t rush anything on this tank but this is unavoidable and I’ll have to make due.

I do think that although this light set up isn’t the elaborate set up I wanted, that it will do what I want it to do. I can raise and lower it easily. Also those horizontal pillars make it easy to add fans, supplemental lighting, or anything else.

Thanks that’s good to know. I’ll keep an eye on the Formica. I know a couple other reef tanks used it to line their canopy and have had long term success. If it starts to peel, lll have to reglue or seal somehow. The good news is that there’s multiple layers of protection.

Unread 02/16/2018, 01:29 PM   #119
Editour2
Frank

Quote:
I had originally wanted to do an elaborate light rack but I became pressed for time on keeping the tank on the temporary stand. So my mom is actually getting out of the hospital today after a 6 month battle for her life. She will be moving into my study so I can help her get back to a somewhat independant life. The problem is the tank was on that temporary stand but it blocks my front door and the study that my mom will be staying in. I told myself I wouldn’t rush anything on this tank but this is unavoidable and I’ll have to make due.

I do think that although this light set up isn’t the elaborate set up I wanted, that it will do what I want it to do. I can raise and lower it easily. Also those horizontal pillars make it easy to add fans, supplemental lighting, or anything else.

Thanks that’s good to know. I’ll keep an eye on the Formica. I know a couple other reef tanks used it to line their canopy and have had long term success. If it starts to peel, lll have to reglue or seal somehow. The good news is that there’s multiple layers of protection.
Priorities.....family is first !!!

Unread 02/16/2018, 01:40 PM   #120
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:
Priorities.....family is first !!!

Always.

Unread 02/16/2018, 01:41 PM   #121
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Quote:
Always.

Nah. Fish are family

Unread 02/16/2018, 01:44 PM   #122
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Update time. Last night I got the tank back on the stand, started on the plumbing, got my RO/DI set up and started making some water.

Unread 02/17/2018, 08:00 PM   #123
Mknuwet
Registered Member

Great build. Such attention to detail. Can way to see this full

Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 07:22 AM   #124
Blue Tang Clan
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:

I think this may be a first -- a TV in a fish tank!!

Blue Tang Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 07:49 AM   #125
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tang Clan View Post
I think this may be a first -- a TV in a fish tank!!
Haha didn’t even notice that. I remember that commercial though. It was for hair loss. I was bummed out that I missed the number but I guess I have it now.

Speaking of tvs and fish tanks. I saw this the other day and I thought it was pretty cool. https://instagram.com/p/BdMsBSOhGIn/