Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2019, 02:19 PM   #1
JVan82
Registered Member

I.d

So I bought an aussie hammer from the LFS, and it has an orange sponge of sorts on it. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JVan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2019, 02:20 PM   #2
xxtriggermanxx
Registered Member

Sponge ?

xxtriggermanxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2019, 02:25 PM   #3
Dsekula
Registered Member

I'd personally Dremel that whole rock and sponge off and remount the coral. An encrusting sponge like that could grow on to the coral and kill it, it's not definite but I don't like to take those chances.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2019, 02:25 PM   #4
JVan82
Registered Member

I guess are there bad sponges?

Unread 03/02/2019, 02:27 PM   #5
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsekula View Post
I'd personally Dremel that whole rock and sponge off and remount the coral. An encrusting sponge like that could grow on to the coral and kill it, it's not definite but I don't like to take those chances.

Okay, thanks, may have to go that route in the near future

Unread 03/02/2019, 04:19 PM   #6
Dsekula
Registered Member

It's not that sponges are good or bad, some people keep certain ones, I don't. Sponges will use many on the same things coral do (depending on species of course) some use light in which case they will compete for space with coral, some use nutrients out of the water but for most of us that type die off assuming your not keeping a np type tank in which case they would compete with coral for nutrients . To compete with coral most sponge produce chemicals that can war with coral, similar to the way coral fight with each other. So imo if your keeping a coral tank which it seems like you are since it's attached to a coral you don't want a sponge espically one that's attached in the way that is.. in my mind it would be the same as a Xenia in the same spot as that sponge. It may be cool if well controlled but it has the potential to spread quickly and take over a tank.

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2019, 04:39 PM   #7
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsekula View Post
It's not that sponges are good or bad, some people keep certain ones, I don't. Sponges will use many on the same things coral do (depending on species of course) some use light in which case they will compete for space with coral, some use nutrients out of the water but for most of us that type die off assuming your not keeping a np type tank in which case they would compete with coral for nutrients . To compete with coral most sponge produce chemicals that can war with coral, similar to the way coral fight with each other. So imo if your keeping a coral tank which it seems like you are since it's attached to a coral you don't want a sponge espically one that's attached in the way that is.. in my mind it would be the same as a Xenia in the same spot as that sponge. It may be cool if well controlled but it has the potential to spread quickly and take over a tank.

Thanks, makes sense, I'll hack it off and throw the rock in my clown grow out tank thank you for the explanation.