Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2017, 08:21 PM   #1
coachmancuso11
Registered Member

Seeking advice

I am setting up a new saltwater reef tank 75 gallons. I am setting it up with driver driver rock and was wondering what type of sand everybody uses and size, what type of live bacteria can you use to start the tank, and what would be the best size Koralia is the best one for a 75 gallon. Also what epoxy or glue do you use to hold the rocks together. Thanks

coachmancuso11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 08:42 PM   #2
Snookster
Registered Member

I use fine aragonite sand in my 75.

As for the bacteria, I started with a piece of shrimp and let nature take it's course and did a full cycle. You can use fish food as well. Don't try to short cut the process, in this hobby, nothing good happens fast.

I used 2 mid-sized Tunze nanostreams (6048s or something). I now have 2 MP40s. You want to get something that's labeled to move at least 1500gph for a 75. If you are going to grow SPS at some point, you'll want more.

Any 2 part epoxy for aquariums should be fine if you want to "glue" your rocks. Some people drill holes and use acrylic rods. I just find rocks that sit on each other without needing to do anything, that's your call.

Snookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 09:15 PM   #3
luisagos
Registered Member

If you want to cycle the tank in a modern way and have 100% control of the cycle.

Then do this.

You want to have 3 ppm ammonia in your tank.
Add 4 drop of Ammonium Chloride Solution (I use Dr Tim's Aquatics, cheap) per gallon of aquarium water.

Wait till you get 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite.

Repeat above, but this time, the cycle needs to be in 24h, if not then you keep doing it till you get within a 24h cycle.

Ammonia > Nitrite Happens fast.
Nitrite > Nitrate Takes forever.

I do not use the skimmer or a sock, I do not want any beneficial bacteria growing in there at this point.

You can dump a bottle of Nitrifying Bacteria by Dr Tim's Aquatics (not so cheap) for a faster cycle.

This is what i do, it goes fast and no mini cycle later on, getting a tank to cycle 3 ppm of ammonia in 24h makes a tank very stable for a good size livestock bio load right off in the beginning.

This is 100% control. You cannot control how much ammonia your going to get with a dead shrimp.

Too little ammonia, you will not have a full cycle done.

Too much ammonia, you might not even cycle for a long time, it will not allow the bacteria cycle correctly.

No stress to the fishy.

luisagos is offline   Reply With Quote