Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2016, 05:55 PM   #1
bigloggerhead
Registered Member

2 AI Prime's or Hydra 26?

Hey guys, I have a 58 gallon with softies, LPS, and SPS. I'm looking to upgrade my lighting. I saw the new Prime units today at my LFS and was impressed. I'm wondering if I should get 2 of these units and separate them 6-10" or should I look into the Hydra 26. I'm wanting to avoid any shaded areas. Help please!

bigloggerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2016, 06:19 PM   #2
GimpyFin
Registered Member

I would probably do 2 of the primes instead of a 26. You'll get more even coverage with them spread out a bit.

GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2016, 08:51 PM   #3
scott11
Registered Member

The 26 has more punch, but separate units will cover better. If you are ok with just SPS higher under the lamps, the prime may be enough.

I know it would not be enough for me, and I suggest the 26, and add a second one later.

scott11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2016, 09:53 PM   #4
bigloggerhead
Registered Member

Most of my SPS are higher up in the tank. I thought also about doing some T5's along with 2 of the Prime's. I know there's been some discussion about color loss under LED's.

Unread 04/14/2016, 10:01 PM   #5
Flagg37
Registered Member

Just get 2 hydras. Problem solved.

Flagg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2016, 12:43 AM   #6
Hentz
Registered Member

Running two Hydra 26 HD's over my 56 gallon tank. Such incredible lights. Great bank for your buck and will grow anything. These will be your absolute best bet to reduce shadowing since you'd have 4 pucks total rather than two.

My SPS are doing so great under 2 26's. And my tank is 36" wide.

Unread 04/15/2016, 07:04 AM   #7
bigloggerhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentz View Post
Running two Hydra 26 HD's over my 56 gallon tank. Such incredible lights. Great bank for your buck and will grow anything. These will be your absolute best bet to reduce shadowing since you'd have 4 pucks total rather than two.

My SPS are doing so great under 2 26's. And my tank is 36" wide.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I was hoping to get away with 2 Prime's but I figured I may need two Hydra 26's. I was trying to be cheap. LOL.

Unread 04/15/2016, 03:36 PM   #8
bigloggerhead
Registered Member

So I contacted AI and they said that 2 Prime's would be good for my tank. I think I may try that and if I have to, add another one later.

Unread 04/15/2016, 08:03 PM   #9
Hentz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloggerhead View Post
That's kind of what I was thinking. I was hoping to get away with 2 Prime's but I figured I may need two Hydra 26's. I was trying to be cheap. LOL.
Usually lighting is a part where you want to spend the pretty penny, at least stretch your budget as far as you can. Primes will be sufficient I'm sure. But Hydra 26's would be lights you can use whenever for whatever on any tank where if you upgraded, Prime's might be a bit on the weaker side.

I overkill everything possible in my budget just for upgrade reasons.
I'm running two MP40's on a 36" tank! Wayyyyy over kill, but if I ever upgrade I've got my lighting AND my flow!

Plus if corals ever get too big, I'll have enough power left to up the flow/lighting without having to spend extra to do so.