Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2012, 09:57 PM   #3651
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Finished the mounting panel for my other Vortech Battery Backup today. Basically it's the exact same size as the opposing panel so there is extra space for expansion. I might add another EB8 to the panel at some point so I have control for accessories on the left side of the room.

Here's where the Battery Backup was living for the last year.

And here's the new panel with the Battery Backup mounted on the wall.

And for reference, here's the right side panels.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 08:38 PM.
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2012, 10:31 PM   #3652
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Yeah.... I'm slightly embarrased to show my fish room.....

I better hope my tank grows out before yours with better colors

You must have the most well behaved young one on the planet

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex
cromedogg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2012, 12:53 AM   #3653
fishcatdog66
Registered Member

Thank you,thank you,thank you! I've been waiting for pics like those for a long time.Sorry if I missed it somewhere but what do you have your Vortech Mp40 set at?

fishcatdog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2012, 12:55 AM   #3654
fishcatdog66
Registered Member

Also like the peace sign in the balast cables

fishcatdog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2012, 02:45 PM   #3655
DanielJay
Registered Member

Brett, What connectors are you using on the bottom of your manifold? The item that fits between your hose and your valve? Did you get those from a home improvement store?

I am just now finishing my plumbing under my tank and getting ready to build my sump. Needing the last few items before water test!

Current Tank Info: 125g in-wall
DanielJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2012, 08:32 PM   #3656
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromedogg33 View Post
Yeah.... I'm slightly embarrased to show my fish room.....

I better hope my tank grows out before yours with better colors

You must have the most well behaved young one on the planet
Hahahaha! He is the best but I've learned to make very good use of nap time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcatdog66 View Post
Thank you,thank you,thank you! I've been waiting for pics like those for a long time.Sorry if I missed it somewhere but what do you have your Vortech Mp40 set at?

Also like the peace sign in the balast cables
You are welcome, more updated pics to come. Right now I have my Vortechs running on Anti-Sync Lagoon Mode at 85% Max flow when the lights are ON. During sunrise and sunset - 1 hour, they Short Pulse for 9 seconds alternating. I'm able to do this via the WXM module with the Apex controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielJay View Post
Brett, What connectors are you using on the bottom of your manifold? The item that fits between your hose and your valve? Did you get those from a home improvement store?

I am just now finishing my plumbing under my tank and getting ready to build my sump. Needing the last few items before water test!
I'm currently using threaded insert fittings. They usually have some at the local hardware store, like HD or Lowes but www.savco.com has everything you'd need. Search their Poly Insert Fittings. I have 1/2" NPT to 1/2" hose barb, and also 3/4" NPT to 5/8" hose barb fittings. If you use threaded valves on the manifold you'll have the option to swap out hose barb or push connection (Mur-Lok/John Guest) fittings as you need. Makes it easy to swap out reactors and such as you go. If you want gray color insert fittings then look on http://www.aquaticeco.com/

Unread 03/24/2012, 11:17 PM   #3657
psteeleb
Registered Member

nice clean work as usual

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2012, 08:02 PM   #3658
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteeleb View Post
nice clean work as usual
Thanks Pete!

Unread 03/27/2012, 05:32 PM   #3659
prop-frags
SPS Slave

So clean and well-designed. Brett, you are still the KING!

Current Tank Info: 200g temp garage tank
prop-frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 07:30 PM   #3660
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop-frags View Post
So clean and well-designed. Brett, you are still the KING!
Ha! I learn from the best.

Unread 03/28/2012, 07:35 PM   #3661
drummereef
Team RC Member

So I'm wanting to drill a couple 1-1/4" holes in the body of my pellet reactor to fit some 1/2" UniSeals so I can plumb it to recirculate. I talked with the guys at NextReef today and they were concerned I might crack the reactor if I used a hole saw, so they recommended using a Unibit instead.

Any thoughts here from the acrylic wizards out there? If I went super slow and ran some cool water over the acrylic as I was cutting with the hole saw, would this prevent cracking? Or am I better off using the Unibit instead?

Unread 03/28/2012, 08:13 PM   #3662
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Nice clean work as always, looks great. The unibit sounds like a good idea to me too but sorry no experience using them with acrylic, good luck man.

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 09:18 AM   #3663
mattsilvester
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromedogg33 View Post
I would disagree that waves in the ocean along reefs do tend to slow down at night. This might not be the case all the time, but my rational behind it, is to give my fish that are trying to sleep a calmer environment to do so. I also believe this may give corals more of a chance to eat at night as well. Is it fact....I dunno....does it sound hypothetically able to work in my mind...yes
I live in Thailand, and have spent quite a lot of time on island with reefs; invariably (unless of course its story etc.) the ocean is much smoother in the morning, with waves (albeit it small waves) building throughout the day.

So, I would conclude that yes, the reef is calmer at night.

That being said, it is probably like 10% calmer - if even that.

should we slow pumps in our reef tanks at night - well as much as we try to replicate nature as much as possible, we need to acknowledge that our tanks are a compromise - a compromise in many ways. One of those compromises is that between the needs of corals and the needs of our reef fishes. In out 10sq.ft or so of reef, we try to replicate the high flow turbulent conditions of upper reefs - but our tanks lack the 2m+ gorges and crevices and niches of a natural reef which are quieter and calmer. On natural reefs, this is where many of the fish go to sleep ..... in our openly aquascaped reef tanks, where we do our utmost to eliminate deadspots, no such quite spots exist.

To that end, if one considers the compromise between the fishes health and that of the corals, I think it would be reasonable to reduce flow at night by say 30% - maybe even 50%.

Matt

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."

"Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit" - no man is at all times wise.

"To a hammer, everything is a nail!"

Current Tank Info: RSM 130
mattsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 09:24 AM   #3664
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
So I'm wanting to drill a couple 1-1/4" holes in the body of my pellet reactor to fit some 1/2" UniSeals so I can plumb it to recirculate. I talked with the guys at NextReef today and they were concerned I might crack the reactor if I used a hole saw, so they recommended using a Unibit instead.

Any thoughts here from the acrylic wizards out there? If I went super slow and ran some cool water over the acrylic as I was cutting with the hole saw, would this prevent cracking? Or am I better off using the Unibit instead?
Hole saw, slowly and straight and you should have no issues.

Unread 03/29/2012, 01:35 PM   #3665
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaph8 View Post
Nice clean work as always, looks great. The unibit sounds like a good idea to me too but sorry no experience using them with acrylic, good luck man.
Thanks aquaph8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsilvester View Post
I live in Thailand, and have spent quite a lot of time on island with reefs; invariably (unless of course its story etc.) the ocean is much smoother in the morning, with waves (albeit it small waves) building throughout the day.

So, I would conclude that yes, the reef is calmer at night.

That being said, it is probably like 10% calmer - if even that.

should we slow pumps in our reef tanks at night - well as much as we try to replicate nature as much as possible, we need to acknowledge that our tanks are a compromise - a compromise in many ways. One of those compromises is that between the needs of corals and the needs of our reef fishes. In out 10sq.ft or so of reef, we try to replicate the high flow turbulent conditions of upper reefs - but our tanks lack the 2m+ gorges and crevices and niches of a natural reef which are quieter and calmer. On natural reefs, this is where many of the fish go to sleep ..... in our openly aquascaped reef tanks, where we do our utmost to eliminate deadspots, no such quite spots exist.

To that end, if one considers the compromise between the fishes health and that of the corals, I think it would be reasonable to reduce flow at night by say 30% - maybe even 50%.

I tend to agree with this theory. I've slowed my night flow down ~30%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110galreef View Post
Hole saw, slowly and straight and you should have no issues.
That's what I would think to do, but... NextReef said their reactors are extruded acrylic that has been annealed after fabricating. For some reason they are saying it's really brittle stuff and the hole saw might cause the acrylic to heat up too much and cause a crack, or a lot of crazing around the hole. Thoughts?

Unread 03/29/2012, 02:09 PM   #3666
drummereef
Team RC Member

Goofing around with some bio pellet reactor mod designs today. This one is plumbed very similar to the Reef Dynamics reactor, but a few changes to accommodate the pump I will be using. The barbed fitting on the TEE at the bottom is the feed, and the quick connect at the top is the effluent. What do you think?

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 08:38 PM.
Unread 03/29/2012, 02:17 PM   #3667
psteeleb
Registered Member

I like the idea of the valve to throttle the circulation but it would be better for the pump if it could be incorporated on the discharge rather then the inlet.

Also given the elbow right before the outlet the flow will not be consistent, there will be a higher velocity coming off the back side of the elbow then the near side. This may cause one side to tumble more then the other, it could create a dead zone or the whole media may in turn circulate around a water jet (example; water jet up one side and the media piles up on the other flowing back into the water jet.

A cone bottom would help or adding something to the center bottom to help divert the flow evenly

Last edited by psteeleb; 03/29/2012 at 02:24 PM.
Unread 03/29/2012, 04:29 PM   #3668
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
I like the idea of the valve to throttle the circulation but it would be better for the pump if it could be incorporated on the discharge rather then the inlet.

Also given the elbow right before the outlet the flow will not be consistent, there will be a higher velocity coming off the back side of the elbow then the near side. This may cause one side to tumble more then the other, it could create a dead zone or the whole media may in turn circulate around a water jet (example; water jet up one side and the media piles up on the other flowing back into the water jet.

A cone bottom would help or adding something to the center bottom to help divert the flow evenly
Thanks for the ideas Pete. I had the same concern about the valve being on the suction side, but after contacting Jeff at Reef Dynamics, he said since the "feed" to the reactor was below the valve it would keep the pump flooded at all times. When the valve is turned down it would divert suction to the feed, when turned up it would limit flow-through - essentially it would balance itself either way. This is how he plumbs their reactors. Thoughts?

I still need to address how I'm going to disburse flow after the elbow at the bottom of the reactor for sure. I've seen one variation of a cap on the elbow with a bunch of holes drilled in it to help even out the flow pattern. Unfortunately, I can't find any pics on how Jeff addresses this since the pics of his reactors are all full of pellets.

Unread 03/29/2012, 04:47 PM   #3669
psteeleb
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas Pete. I had the same concern about the valve being on the suction side, but after contacting Jeff at Reef Dynamics, he said since the "feed" to the reactor was below the valve it would keep the pump flooded at all times. When the valve is turned down it would divert suction to the feed, when turned up it would limit flow-through - essentially it would balance itself either way. This is how he plumbs their reactors. Thoughts?
I agree things should ballance out and I'm not concerned about the throughput flow. My concern is more with a restricted suction can cause pump cavitation. After some more thought it probably isn't an issue as it's recirculating creating as much back pressure on the discharge as there is pull on the suction.

As a general rule, to reduce pump stress and potential cavitation, you want to control flow on a pump on the discharge side.

Unread 03/29/2012, 05:15 PM   #3670
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
I agree things should ballance out and I'm not concerned about the throughput flow. My concern is more with a restricted suction can cause pump cavitation. After some more thought it probably isn't an issue as it's recirculating creating as much back pressure on the discharge as there is pull on the suction.

As a general rule, to reduce pump stress and potential cavitation, you want to control flow on a pump on the discharge side.
Definitely, this is what I've always known to be true as well.

Check out this video... very interesting the way he has these plumbed. I just wish I knew what fitting he uses inside the reactor to get that nice of tumble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJllUN2xAs4

Unread 03/29/2012, 05:36 PM   #3671
drummereef
Team RC Member

If I really wanted to trick it out, maybe I could find a way to add this to the elbow inside the reactor... http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/pr...-Mixing-Nozzle Might help to disburse the flow more evenly and not have to worry about a potential dead spot.

Unread 03/30/2012, 11:14 AM   #3672
drummereef
Team RC Member

OK, one more question... I'm going to use a Mag 3 that I have here for the recirc pump. It has both 1/2" NPT on the ins/outs. Would it be sufficient to keep the plumbing 1/2" since it's a recirc and there's minimal plumbing length? The original down-tube that came with the reactor is 1/2" so I don't see why it would be a problem, but just checking.

Unread 03/30/2012, 11:16 AM   #3673
psteeleb
Registered Member

Quote:
OK, one more question... I'm going to use a Mag 3 that I have here for the recirc pump. It has both 1/2" NPT on the ins/outs. Would it be sufficient to keep the plumbing 1/2" since it's a recirc and there's minimal plumbing length? The original down-tube that came with the reactor is 1/2" so I don't see why it would be a problem, but just checking.
I would just keep it 1/2".

also look at a side out elbow for your feed, not that it maters from flow but may save a little foot print space. It's a standard elbow with a threaded connection coming off the turn. It forms a corner shape but with one connection threaded. You can find them at most hardware stores.

Unread 03/30/2012, 11:25 AM   #3674
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
I would just keep it 1/2".

also look at a side out elbow for your feed, not that it maters from flow but may save a little foot print space. It's a standard elbow with a threaded connection coming off the turn. It forms a corner shape but with one connection threaded. You can find them at most hardware stores.
Great! I need to order the true union ball valve so I wanted to get the right size. And excellent idea on the side out elbow. So instead of the Tee I will use one of those. If I can get a slip x slip x fpt it would even be better, that way I can just insert my tubing adapter directly into the fpt side. Perfect!

Unread 03/30/2012, 11:49 AM   #3675
psteeleb
Registered Member

Quote:
If I can get a slip x slip x fpt it would even be better, that way I can just insert my tubing adapter directly into the fpt side. Perfect!
if you don't see them in the regular pipe section of the hardware store, check the sprinkler supply section; they look like this: