Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2018, 01:41 PM   #1
MyMocha
Registered Member

Talking I'm new to nano tanks!

Hi everyone!
I'm new to this community. I'm very excited and just want to say hello. I have substantial experience with softie reef/large marine tanks, but zip with smaller. My recent tank of 6 years was a 300 gal. Whoop! Then we moved and couldn't fit it in the house. Nooo! So had to way downsize (hubby tried to nix it altogether). I now have:
32Gal coralife biocube going for about 6 months
DSB maybe 4-4.5"
1 coralife skimmer which I'm not thrilled with.

1damsel. My first fish ever. He's 11. Won't die.
1 black capped jawfish. Had him about 3 weeks.
1 lawnmower blenny
1 cleaner shrimp
Handful of snails and hermies.
Live rock... um... 30lbs

Does anyone dose NO3:PO4 by RedSea? I'm combating a little cyano. I also use carbon and a purigen pad. I'm finding mixed reviews on this. Basically seems like vodka dosing to me, but thought I'd give it a whirl.
Also...
How often and how much of a water change do you advise for this size tank?

Thanks all!

MyMocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 01:53 PM   #2
Danny_15
Registered Member

Hi there, i have a 20 gallon nuvo and its packed with sps and some acros. I never had any problem with cyano or algea. I do 1 water change a month. All i can tell you is use RO/DI water when you do a water change. If you dont have a unit to make your on water make sure you use a trustful source. I used to get my RO/DI water at a reef store and it wasnt good water and i started seeing algea so be careful with that. And something that helps to is to have cheato algea, my tank has a built in overflow so i just stuck it in one of the compartments and have one of those lights that have clamps and you turn the neck on the algea and it gets the job done.

Danny_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 02:15 PM   #3
rockhead51
Registered Member

Hey, Mocha! Welcome to Smallville! I have the same tank (maybe- I have the LED version, plus I upgraded to Steve's LEDs).
I do a heater and modified Coralife skimmer (longer tube and braced up high so that you can run the air pretty wide open- works pretty well) in compartment 1; then in #2, a floss pad, then bags of purigen, phosguard, and carbon in the media rack, with a couple bags of matrix underneath to support more bacteria; and my ATO feeding chamber 3. Had some bubble algea when I got started 1.75 years ago, then some cynao after a vacation when I set my auto feeder too generous.... Recently have been battling some stuff on the glass as I have been bringing up the intensity on the Steve's LEDs, but nothing major.
I change about 2.75 gal per week.
-Jim

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 02:21 PM   #4
MyMocha
Registered Member

Thx! I've been pondering how to do some macroalgae. That's a great idea.
I have a ro/di unit and checked TDS and it was 200!!!! There we go. So new filters coming. Ha. I also just did a water change. (30%ish) I'm amazed you only do a water change monthly. Nice. How long has your tank been established?What percentage do u change out?

What media do you use ?

Unread 07/10/2018, 02:35 PM   #5
MyMocha
Registered Member

Rockhead... thanks for the info!! I'm going to rig my skimmer like that.. see if it works better. Also... why did u change lights and, what schedule do u use? I have the "latest and greatest' version of 32 gal.
I recently placed some biocubes from Algaebarn (great service from this co.!) Under the media rack...and I put in 5200 pods too.
My other issue is maintaining my Ph. What the heck. Its hovers at 8.1.
I use Reef Fusion1 and 2 for ca.. buffering. And add eight.four daily and/or seachem but struggle.
Maybe my tank just needs to mature more? Sigh.
What do u use? Do you remember this issue initially?
So many questions....
Oh. And Ca 420, Mg 1420, NO3 10
Thanks, Lisa

Unread 07/10/2018, 02:35 PM   #6
Danny_15
Registered Member

I just have a filter socks and a skimmer thats it no carbon no other stuff. Once in a while i do add carbon though. Its been running barley like 4 months and every month i only change 2 or 3 gallons.

Danny_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 03:49 PM   #7
rockhead51
Registered Member

I upgraded the lights because I wanted a clam (photo attached). The clam is fine, but the other effects are (pro) lots of coral growth (esp my zoas) and a couple issues with algae that my tank is adjusting to. . Istruggle with pH as well (always have- I don't believe the cube let's in enough O2). Found that 8.4 doesn't work as well as mixing up RODI and Seachem Marine Buffer. So, since I added the clam, I am now dosing Marine Buffer and Reef Advantage Calcium. But with the clam and the new lights, I am still dialling in numbers. My lights come on at noon, ramp up for an hour, and then ramp down from 9 until 10 pm. Steve's can be set to mimic natural sunrise and sunset, which I though was too much, but I do also use a feature that mimics the % of lunar illumination.

Unread 07/10/2018, 05:33 PM   #8
MyMocha
Registered Member

Wow. Your clam and zoas are beautiful. I've actually considered doing the same for my tank eventually.
And... alright, that makes sense. I do angle the output head up to cause some surface ripples. Hmm.
How many powerheads do you have?
I currently have 2. 2 nano koralias that put out a little extra flow.
Thanks so much for your help btw!

Unread 07/10/2018, 07:05 PM   #9
rockhead51
Registered Member

It sure if it's help! Just what we do around here- there are lots of folks with much better aqaurium smarts.

As to flow, I upgraded my return pump to a Sicce Syncra (can't remember model, but the one that put out about 550 gph, if memory serves) and I have a Jebao powerhead in there to pound my GSP and provide some randomized flow.

And my return nozzle also agitates the surface but I still think the tight fitting lid limits O2 coming in. If I could get away with it (ie, if my bride wouldn't kick me out!), I would have the airpump for the skimmer outside, so I'd be dumping fresh air in that way.

I like movement and shimmer in the tank, so I like softies. I don't have any SPS yet, but the LED upgrade makes that a possibility.

Unread 07/15/2018, 12:31 PM   #10
MyMocha
Registered Member

I bought a wavemaker jaebo and Love it. No more koralias for me. I find they dont last long anymore.

Lisa

"OOPS! 🤔 Regroup, seek suggestions, learn, Go!

Current Tank Info: 32 Gal coralife biocube DSB for Jawfish
Unread 08/04/2018, 01:39 AM   #11
zwiththeach
Registered Member

My Tanks been up a year. Got a pretty woman chalice frag.. 2 clowns a blue hermit, gsp and zoas gonna add more corals soon and maybe a shrimp
Coraline is growing. Tanks doing pretty good

78 degrees

Weekly water changes 10% 4 gallons once a month.[IMG]

https://ibb.co/dJY9oz
https://ibb.co/ehrJgK
https://ibb.co/dmP2ae
https://ibb.co/fL2c8z
https://ibb.co/kUOjoz

zwiththeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2018, 09:18 AM   #12
MyMocha
Registered Member

Nice!!
It's awesome when you see the coralline growing!! That's always a great sign the tank is healthy.
What type of zoas are those? Beautiful.

"OOPS! 🤔 Regroup, seek suggestions, learn, Go!

Current Tank Info: 32 Gal coralife biocube DSB for Jawfish