Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2015, 10:05 AM   #126
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiverfull View Post
I'm just starting the process now. Gonna be in QT for at least 2 weeks. They are 3 fairy wrasses. I am just setting up the qt now.
2 weeks is insufficient for quarantine, as most diseases won't present in that time frame. If you are observing only (no proactive treatment), 6-8 weeks is recommended, with careful observation of the fishes' demeanor and behavior. Personally, I'm not a fan of observation-only QT, as subtle behavior cues can be missed by the observer.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2015, 11:59 AM   #127
Quiverfull
Registered Member

So you proactively treat even though you do not see anything wrong? The time frame for me is not an issue. I just read on some of the earlier posts that 2 weeks was the minimum. I am OK with 6 weeks but was not going to treat with medications unless I saw something go wrong.

Current Tank Info: 120g Oceanic RR 250w HQI MH x 2 and T5 x 2, Euroreef CS6-2 skimmer, 37g Oceanic Show live rock and powerheads only Ecotech 24 in Marine LED, AGA 92g Corner bowfront
Quiverfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2015, 12:41 PM   #128
Duke4life
Registered Member

Some do proactively treat, some don't. I don't treat unless necessary and do a minimum of 4 weeks since where I go runs no copper. If you don't I'd recommend having the basic meds on hand in case. Also looking at what each species is more acceptable to is a good idea as well.

Current Tank Info: 125 gal DT, 20 gal sump, currently home to a chainlink eel, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, a purple firefish, red firefish, carpenters flasher wrasse, pink margin fairy wrasse, blue sided fairy wrasse, C Pylei wrasse, snails and hermits.
Duke4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2015, 01:08 PM   #129
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
So you proactively treat even though you do not see anything wrong? The time frame for me is not an issue. I just read on some of the earlier posts that 2 weeks was the minimum. I am OK with 6 weeks but was not going to treat with medications unless I saw something go wrong.
The only medication I proactively administer is Prazipro, as it is gentle on fish and fluke infections are relatively common in marine fish. I also put all new acquisitions through tank transfer method (TTM) to eliminate the possibility of Cryptocaryon infections. Cryptocaryon can often go unnoticed, as fish can carry subclinical infections and don't display physical symptoms. For all other diseases (Amyloodinium, Brooklynella, bacterial etc.), I treat only when symptoms are present.

It all comes down to how risk-averse you are. Personally, I'd rather remove the most common diseases from the equation and be prepared for the others.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Unread 08/08/2015, 01:17 PM   #130
Quiverfull
Registered Member

I am still new to the QT approach but I have gotten to the point with my DT that I do not want to risk the investment.
A few more questions if you don't mind:
1. Where do you get Prazipro and is is OK to use with live rock?
2. What do you mean by "tank transfer method?"

Current Tank Info: 120g Oceanic RR 250w HQI MH x 2 and T5 x 2, Euroreef CS6-2 skimmer, 37g Oceanic Show live rock and powerheads only Ecotech 24 in Marine LED, AGA 92g Corner bowfront
Quiverfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2015, 03:50 PM   #131
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
I am still new to the QT approach but I have gotten to the point with my DT that I do not want to risk the investment.
A few more questions if you don't mind:
1. Where do you get Prazipro and is is OK to use with live rock?
2. What do you mean by "tank transfer method?"
First off, props for quarantining your fish. It's definitely worth the effort to ensure peace of mind and a provide a disease-free environment for your fish.

You should be able to find Prazipro at your local fish store. The larger chains like Petco or Petsmart don't typically stock it. It's fine to use with live rock. In fact, it's the only medication I would use with LR or inverts (although it's best used in a QT). If you can't source it locally, Amazon carries it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LOBGYA

Here's a lengthy thread on TTM. The basic concept is moving a fish to a clean, sterilized tank every 72 hours for a total of four transfers. This breaks the life cycle of Cryptocaryon (ich) and prevents reinfection. By the final transfer, the fish should be parasite free if executed correctly.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1996525

Hope is not a strategy.
Unread 08/15/2015, 12:13 PM   #132
64Ivy
B'rer Reefer

Ok, so can a few of you guys go into a little bit more detail about how you transfer fish from one tank to another without the use of a net? And why? I ask this now because I currently have 9 little Resplendant Anthias in QT that will be ready for transfer in about a month. I have not begun to medicate them yet but all are eating aggressively and are consistently out and about. This, to me, means they're healthy. That, to me, also means that if they remain healthy and conditioned for another month in QT, they're going to run like hell whenever they 'feel' they're about to be caught and moved somewhere else. Not that I'm solely advocating the net, but I'd love to know which tools and methods you've found to work better.

ToTM 3-03

Current Tank Info: Between tanks. Searching for a home
64Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2015, 09:05 AM   #133
Polkman
Registered Member

I had a tomini tang die from what appears to be brook. Skin was peeling, troubled swimming, and didn't see any white spots upon death. He shares the tank with 2 chocolate clowns 4 green chromis and a yellow tang which does have ich ( white spots on him ). I did not qt any fish before adding into DT which I am now learning the havoc of not having done so.

I just set up a qt and ordered formalin ms from fishvet which should be here by tomorrow morning. All fish seem to be eating even the clowns which seem to develop a white sandy look to their skin.

I was planning on taking them out and straight into a bucket for a formalin bath then into the QT where I will also treat with formalin. I read a few stickies about how to treat with formalin, but was wondering if I should treat with copper maybe a week after the formalin treatments to get rid of the ich?

Also, would doing a formalin bath/dip on all new fish before going into the qt for further observation be ok? Then treat for anything else that pops up in a 6-8 week time frame?

Polkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2015, 01:09 PM   #134
tsunade
Registered Member

Very very helpful. Thanks for the info.

tsunade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2015, 09:45 PM   #135
microlady
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkman View Post
I had a tomini tang die from what appears to be brook. Skin was peeling, troubled swimming, and didn't see any white spots upon death. He shares the tank with 2 chocolate clowns 4 green chromis and a yellow tang which does have ich ( white spots on him ). I did not qt any fish before adding into DT which I am now learning the havoc of not having done so.

I just set up a qt and ordered formalin ms from fishvet which should be here by tomorrow morning. All fish seem to be eating even the clowns which seem to develop a white sandy look to their skin.

I was planning on taking them out and straight into a bucket for a formalin bath then into the QT where I will also treat with formalin. I read a few stickies about how to treat with formalin, but was wondering if I should treat with copper maybe a week after the formalin treatments to get rid of the ich?

Also, would doing a formalin bath/dip on all new fish before going into the qt for further observation be ok? Then treat for anything else that pops up in a 6-8 week time frame?

My opinion is that Brooklynella kills very fast. Advanced crypto infections can cause cloudy eyes, peeling skin, labored breathing, etc. In your situation I might perform Tank Transfer Method for crypto along with short formalin baths in 5 gallon buckets too. I'm hoping for your sake it isn't Brooklynella. Would a 72 day fallow period take care of that parasite too?

microlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2015, 09:56 PM   #136
Polkman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlady View Post
My opinion is that Brooklynella kills very fast. Advanced crypto infections can cause cloudy eyes, peeling skin, labored breathing, etc. In your situation I might perform Tank Transfer Method for crypto along with short formalin baths in 5 gallon buckets too. I'm hoping for your sake it isn't Brooklynella. Would a 72 day fallow period take care of that parasite too?

It was indeed brook, however I was able to react fast enough and pulled the remaining fish into qt. I did indeed do TTM with formalin baths inbetween each transfer. The fish pulled through and are now ich/brook free.

From what I was told 72 days for ich and at least 6 weeks for brook.

Polkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2015, 07:21 AM   #137
microlady
Registered Member

That's great! Did Brooklynella look anything like crypto? Did you see any spots or just slimy skin?

Unread 10/06/2015, 07:21 AM   #138
microlady
Registered Member

Sorry, I just read that you didn't see spots.

Unread 12/03/2015, 02:43 PM   #139
merlinpi
Registered Member

newbi here, starting my first QT, will be using Prazipro and Cupramine. My question is: anybody with experience using MEthylene blue or malachite green for QT purposes? thks.

merlinpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2016, 03:29 PM   #140
Salty150
Registered Member

I read somewhere awhile ago on here that you could use PraziPro and another medication together in the QT tank quite effectively.

Anyone remember what the other was?

ParaGuard?

Ick Shield?

Last edited by Salty150; 03/20/2016 at 03:54 PM.
Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2016, 03:12 PM   #141
TheRegion83
Registered Member

Does a freshwater bath help reduce the chances of disease and also what about having copper in your system?

TheRegion83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2016, 09:04 PM   #142
breck
Registered Member

Where are people getting their Choloroquine phosphate? For those who use it?

breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2016, 10:45 PM   #143
BillFW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breck View Post
Where are people getting their Choloroquine phosphate? For those who use it?
Prescription from a Vet.

BillFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2016, 07:48 AM   #144
krullshards
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFW View Post
Prescription from a Vet.
Or ick shield powder...

http://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spect...rds=ick+shield

krullshards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2016, 09:09 PM   #145
breck
Registered Member

I just ordered some meds to have on stock for my QT tank. Any other suggestions?

Prazipro
Cupramine
Melafix
Pimafix
Paraguard

Thanks!

breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2016, 10:12 AM   #146
Vinno
Registered Member

Fish stock.
-Yellow tang *Ich*
-Cole Tangs *Ich*
-2x clowns fish
-2x chromis
-2x Ignitus Anthias

Got a aquaclear hang on filter / heater around + tank.

What are two top copper medicine brands to look to buy? (asking for two just in case ones not available here)

Now do i put any bio balls on my filter or after treatment? since i would need to do copper treatment then let them live here until my display tank is 70+ days without fish?

If above so, how to run a cycle after treatment if fish still in QT?

Will need to start tomorrow, yellow tang is rubbing itself and swimming funny.

Thanks alot.

Vinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2016, 04:40 PM   #147
splinteredmind
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinno View Post
Fish stock.
-Yellow tang *Ich*
-Cole Tangs *Ich*
-2x clowns fish
-2x chromis
-2x Ignitus Anthias

Got a aquaclear hang on filter / heater around + tank.

What are two top copper medicine brands to look to buy? (asking for two just in case ones not available here)

Now do i put any bio balls on my filter or after treatment? since i would need to do copper treatment then let them live here until my display tank is 70+ days without fish?

If above so, how to run a cycle after treatment if fish still in QT?

Will need to start tomorrow, yellow tang is rubbing itself and swimming funny.

Thanks alot.
Seachem Cupramine or Mardel Coppersafe

splinteredmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2016, 06:42 PM   #148
new2salttanks
Registered Member

Is a 2 gallon tank too small for a QT tank?

new2salttanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2016, 07:11 PM   #149
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2salttanks View Post
Is a 2 gallon tank too small for a QT tank?
Yes...

What were you planning on putting in it?

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2016, 07:45 PM   #150
new2salttanks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty150 View Post
Yes...

What were you planning on putting in it?
Got a small clown with 3 white spots, I think it's ich. Have an extra 2 gallon tank just laying around couldn't decide if I needed bigger or not.

new2salttanks is offline   Reply With Quote