Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2017, 10:38 AM   #1
choss
Registered Member

Choss' 96 Gallon Reef Savvy Tank Build

After almost 25 years out of the hobby, two years ago I decided to give reefing a try again and set up an all in one 40 gallon Innovative Marine tank. This was a great move in hindsight, as this tank allowed me to explore some of the new advances in reef keeping, such as LED lights. In my previous reefing life, I had relied on a Berlin style system – lots of live rock, metal halide lighting, with a strong skimmer and RODI water. The small tank allowed me to explore some new concepts and learned a lot from the many threads on the two main reef forums.

Over the last year I have spent countless hours sifting through many truly amazing threads on the two main reef forums. In particular, I have enjoyed several members build threads, some which I have read multiple times.

All this research has helped inform the direction of this new and bigger dream tank. Before I get into some of the planning details, here is what I will pursue in this build:

• Clean modern design – I love rimless tanks and enjoy even more the planning of how the full effect of tank, stand, and room come together to form what I would consider more art than hobby. Thinking about this several builds come to mind – Chris Kriens’ amazing Elos (and frag) tank is at the top of my list. D2mini as well. I have followed all of his builds and will borrow many innovative ideas from his various builds.
• Planning – all the best builds I’ve read followed a meticulous planning process. No small detail overlooked. Nothing less than perfection tolerated. Broadfield’s 450 Red Sea Reefer is probably the best example of perfect planning and execution. His tank is one of the most incredible I have seen.
• Wood working and DIY – I have always enjoyed wood working and drawn inspiration from all the creative stands that fellow reefers have shared with us on these forums. Again, here one particular reefer stands out – namely Brad Urbanek, whose 250 was spectacular, but I’m enjoying his new trio of nano tanks even more.

Tank:

• Reef Savvy custom tank.
• 96 gallons – Dimensions 42”X24”X22”
• Ghost Overflow and 2 back panel return lines
• Phantom bottom & armored seams (I didn’t even know what these were until about 8 weeks ago)
• Black background (although in hindsight, I wish there were a way to do clear background to add depth to the tank but not possible with the ghost overflow)
• It will be plumbed as a bean animal overflow system

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 10:45 AM   #2
choss
Registered Member

Arrival Of The Tank

A few pictures to start this thread off right.

P6090236******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

Here is what she looks like

P6090242******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

I'm very excited to get this tank unwrapped but for now it will have to stay in the garage until I have finished the prep work on the stand and plumbing.

P6090240-1******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

I can already tell the quality of this tank is simply amazing. Well worth the wait. Felix at Reef Savvy was awesome in helping me make some decisions on this tank like adding the phantom bottom and armored seams. I want this tank to last a long time.

P6090235******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Unread 07/04/2017, 11:56 AM   #3
choss
Registered Member

Here is a quick sketch of what the tank will look like on the stand. The room is a small office so I didn't want the tank to overwhelm the rest of the space. My son Mats did the sketch as I was not doing well with google SketUp

The stand and cabinets are constructed from 1.5" walnut and Size 7 - Gator Tubing 12 Gauge 1 1/4".

Tank sketch******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

Unread 07/04/2017, 12:12 PM   #4
drtrash
Registered Member

Can explain phantom and armor seams? Looks like a fun build

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 01:54 PM   #5
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrash View Post
Can explain phantom and armor seams? Looks like a fun build
The phantom bottom is a "multilayer lamination for strength and aesthetics" which, according to a Reef Savvy video is a combination of PVC, vinyl, and glass. Makes the tank bottom extremely strong and resistant to small imperfections under the tank. This is critical to rimless tanks where the weight of the tank is on the bottom panel rather than a plastic rim surrounding the tank.

Here is a video I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI8ejl-aH8E

The armored seams are extra pieces of glass attached to the inside of the 4 corners of the tank. They protect the silicone and add strength to the tank. I picked both these options because when you are investing in a tank like this you really don't want to cut corners to save a few bucks. These options bring peace of mind.

Unread 07/05/2017, 06:21 PM   #6
choss
Registered Member

Update

The Tank

The size of this tank is 42” long X 24” wide X 22” high. Coming off a 24” wide cube tank, I wanted to upgrade to a larger tank that still fits the size of the small office I am using to display the tank. The look I am going for is a tank that “floats” on a pedestal stand. In thinking through the dimensions, I wanted to strike a balance between length, depth and height. While I appreciate the practical nature of shallow reef tanks, I enjoy the taller tanks as well, especially as this allows for fish to take up residence at various levels within the tank and makes for a visually pleasing experience. And I wanted to remain “close” to the details of the tank – which one thing I love about smaller nano tanks.

I also thought long and hard about the balance of tank volume (stability) v. maintenance and equipment costs. I have followed many threads where reefers go for very large tanks, and eventually scale back down to something more reasonable.

Maintenance

I plan to run this tank leveraging top technology for automation and reliability. I travel quite frequently so it’s critical that I can run the tank on auto-drive and monitor it remotely. Here are a few things I have planned and will detail in future posts:

• Water changes will be automated. I’m a big believer in stability so I’ll be shooting for lots of small automated water changes per day. No more carrying buckets!
• Controller – This will be my first tank on a controller. The controller will be used for water quality as well as failsafe for the AWC system. It will include high and low water alarms, water spill alarms, cooling fans, etc. I do not plan on running a chiller on this system.
• Dosing – I will dose Alk and Calcium. I am not planning on adding a calcium reactor and may supplement with kalkwasser in my ATO.

If all goes as planned, I’ll really only be cleaning my skimmer and harvesting algae from my refugium. I am still debating running a filter sock or not, so I’d love to hear some pros & cons on this.

Here is a little teaser of what is to come….

P1010230******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

Unread 07/06/2017, 12:54 AM   #7
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Let me guess, Nyos skimmer? Very nice tank. I love Reef Savvy tanks, I tried to win one at Macna. I hear you on choosing the right size tank, I am debating on going either 180 and keep my fish or go smaller than my 120 and donate my fish to the LFS. It is a tough decision.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 07:46 PM   #8
brewbarrister
Registered Member

Wow. It looks like an amazing build. I'm impressed with your planning, definitely a measure twice, cut once hobby. Congrats on the upcoming tank!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

brewbarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 09:25 PM   #9
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
Let me guess, Nyos skimmer? Very nice tank. I love Reef Savvy tanks, I tried to win one at Macna. I hear you on choosing the right size tank, I am debating on going either 180 and keep my fish or go smaller than my 120 and donate my fish to the LFS. It is a tough decision.
I really struggled with the size thing. I know this isn't my last tank, but its the last tank in this house. Retirement might bring a bigger tank into my life but right now with the current room size restrictions, I think I'm heading down the right path. This tank feels really manageable. On the skimmer you are close. I looked at Nyos but went a different direction. Stay tuned on the equipment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbarrister View Post
Wow. It looks like an amazing build. I'm impressed with your planning, definitely a measure twice, cut once hobby. Congrats on the upcoming tank!

I'm measuring like 3-4 times and still getting it wrong

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Unread 07/07/2017, 11:11 AM   #10
choss
Registered Member

The Stand

Over 20 years ago I moved into a small NY city apartment with my wife. We were about to get married and I broke down my bachelor pad in Hoboken to arrive with a 30-gallon reef tank and 2 cats. To say the least, she has some interesting memories of water on the carpet, RODI hooked up to the bathroom sink, a few random wires etc. So, I promised her this time around would be different.

I have to admit that when I first saw the Innovative Marine tanks, I was impressed. Rimless, clean design, and no sump to worry about. So I focused on building a system that my wife would appreciate more as art than the nasty science experiment in our living room. And at the time I was really over the typical hood and cabinet below the tank. So I opted for a stand that would float.

My original idea was to build a butcher-block top and then use industrial pipe pieces to build the structure. I was inspired by a few industrial pieces I spotted at a place in Connecticut that creates amazing furniture out of reclaimed industrial machines they must buy for almost nothing.

IMG_3414******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

IMG_3416******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

Then after lots of google image searches I picked up on a site called simplifiedbuilding.com. They sell industrial pipe kits for desks, shelves and other applications. I now had a super strong support frame and all I needed was the wood. I already had purchased the wood to glue up a butcher-block surface, when I found a lumber yard in White Plains NY that carries a huge amount of amazing reclaimed wood. I settled in on 1.5” thick walnut as the main surface for the stand. It came in a long 12” wide piece that I cut to 48” and glued together.

IMG_3472******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

IMG_3473******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

Here is the stand coming together before the stain

IMG_3476******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

I then finished the stand using 4 products – Behlen Solar Lux dye, Zinsser Sealcoat, Old Masters Gel Stain, and several coats of clear satin polyurethane.

IMG_3496******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

Here is a picture of the finished stand.

P4260246******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

I built the stand specifically so I could upgrade to a larger tank, but I realized that it would look out of proportion to have it hold a full 48” tank so again, I ended up going a little shorter with the Reef Savvy. Is it silly to build a custom tank to fit a stand? Absolutely, but in the end I really fell in love with the stand and the support furniture.

My original build thread was called “the less is more reef”, which sadly now is hard to follow since Photobucket took a big dump on us all and is holding us hostage for our images. Anyway, once I set up the 40, I quickly realized that I had a mess of wires that most reefers hide in their very practical cabinet beneath the tank. So, I started building a cabinet to hide the electrical and the top off container. The supporting cabinet is made of a walnut top, and a combination of boards for the sides consisting of walnut, poplar, and pine glued together at different lengths and widths to give the cabinet some variety in tones. However, once I applied the same stains as above, all the wood pretty much looks the same. Still, I like the way it turned out.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_18b******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a9******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

By the time I finished my cabinet I started to have a vision about the dream tank. The next day I called Felix at Reef Savvy and started to plan things out.

The final layout for the tank will be as follows:

Tank sketch******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

The new tank will have a 24 gallon sump hidden in a new cabinet to the right of the tank. This means that I will attach a board behind the legs of the display stand that will hide both the plumbing and the electrical, which will be located in the cabinet to the left. Top off will be moved to a room directly below the DT (more on this setup in a future post).

Unread 07/09/2017, 08:17 AM   #11
AZReef13
Registered Member

Sorry to see you leave the IM 40 thread, but can't wait to see this awesome looking build. How did you deside on this aquarium builder?

AZReef13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2017, 10:26 AM   #12
JonCubb
Registered Member

Very nice. I love Reef Savvy tanks, I just wish they would actually return my request for a quote!

JonCubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2017, 10:29 AM   #13
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZReef13 View Post
Sorry to see you leave the IM 40 thread, but can't wait to see this awesome looking build. How did you deside on this aquarium builder?
I ended up with Reef Savvy because after reading all the various reviews of other manufacturers, Reef Savvy and Elos came out at the two that seemed highest quality and most reliable. With other manufacturers there are sufficient horror stories to turn a stomach or two. Once I zeroed in on Reef Savvy I realized I could get a custom tank within my budget to my exact specs. The wait is long but I knew that going in and it was well worth the wait. I plan on keeping this tank up for a long time.

Unread 07/10/2017, 10:31 AM   #14
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCubb View Post
Very nice. I love Reef Savvy tanks, I just wish they would actually return my request for a quote!
Stay persistent. One thing I will say is that despite the backlog of demand for these tanks, Felix (owner) still makes each tank himself. Its a family business from what I understand but the quality has never gone down and the attention to detail is amazing.

Unread 07/10/2017, 10:46 AM   #15
JonCubb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choss View Post
Stay persistent. One thing I will say is that despite the backlog of demand for these tanks, Felix (owner) still makes each tank himself. Its a family business from what I understand but the quality has never gone down and the attention to detail is amazing.

I'm trying to, I've actually sent for a few quotes, I let the first one slide because it was just before ReefaPalooza so I figured they may have been too busy trying to get ready for the show. I'll send for another in a few days.

Unread 07/10/2017, 11:48 AM   #16
taat2d
Registered Member

Can't wait to see your new build.

taat2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2017, 06:37 AM   #17
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm trying to, I've actually sent for a few quotes, I let the first one slide because it was just before ReefaPalooza so I figured they may have been too busy trying to get ready for the show. I'll send for another in a few days.
There is a phone number. If you can't find it PM me and I can find it for you.

Unread 07/11/2017, 06:40 AM   #18
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taat2d View Post
Can't wait to see your new build.
taat2d thanks for following and being patient. It will probably be a few weeks before the tank gets wet. I still need to finish some prep on stand, drill a hole in my floor (more on equipment room coming), and make a final decision on live v. dry rock. I'm traveling at the moment but will post a few additional updates over the coming days to get deeper into the rest of the planning, equipment, and frag tank. That is wet already so some pics coming

Unread 07/12/2017, 09:10 AM   #19
choss
Registered Member

Update - The Sump

In reviewing my plans, space for a sump and cabinet was going to be very tight. After doing some research I settled on a Ruby Cube sump. It’s the maximum size sump I can fit into the allotted space. I picked this baby up on black Friday and have been storing it ever since.

Sump in a box by choerenz, on Flickr

This thing was well packed

Ruby Sump Well PAcked by choerenz, on Flickr

Ruby Sump by choerenz, on Flickr

Well I couldn’t leave it in storage the entire time so I put it to good use. I told my better half it was a coffee table. She didn't buy it...

Ruby Sump Coffee Table 1 by choerenz, on Flickr

Unread 07/12/2017, 09:15 AM   #20
choss
Registered Member

The Sump Cabinet

To build the cabinet around the sump, I resorted to rocketengineer’s design for stand building, using 1X4s.

Sump Cabinet by choerenz, on Flickr

Sump Cabinet Pre Paint by choerenz, on Flickr

Sump Cabinet level 1 by choerenz, on Flickr

Here are a few more shots. The skin of the cabinet will be held on with magnets. Because it is going into a corner I will be leaving the back and right side of the cabinet open. The top will match the other pieces and will be finished 1.5” Walnut.

Sump Cabinet with Sump by choerenz, on Flickr

I finished the stand with Kilz premium paint to protect it from moisture

Sump Cabinet Top View by choerenz, on Flickr

and with the Walnut top in place.

Sump Cabinet with top by choerenz, on Flickr

Unread 07/12/2017, 10:15 AM   #21
AZReef13
Registered Member

Choss; This is simply amazing. Can't waot to see more.

AZReef13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2017, 02:27 PM   #22
JonCubb
Registered Member

I'm diggin the sump.

Unread 07/13/2017, 08:10 AM   #23
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZReef13 View Post
Choss; This is simply amazing. Can't waot to see more.
Thanks! Ask and you shall receive....

Quote:
I'm diggin the sump.
I'm digging it too. It will be tight in there. I'll reveal my plans for it shortly but I plan to keep that sump rock'n.

And speaking of...had some nice packages arrive yesterday. Can a grown man really get this excited over PVC? But man, it sexy stuff...

Plumbing full room shot by choerenz, on Flickr

Plumbing closeup by choerenz, on Flickr

And a top down...

plumbing top down by choerenz, on Flickr

Unread 07/16/2017, 02:56 PM   #24
choss
Registered Member

So while I feel like I did not accomplish much this weekend, I did manage to squeeze in several really important items. First, I installed a float switch in my salt reservoir. I'll be posting a much more detailed plan of how I have set up the salt refill station and how I will be managing the system to be as automated as possible. The float switch will shut down my AWC pump in case of a low water situation so this is one of many backups I am planning. More importantly, I took the plunge and drilled a 1" hole through my hard wood floor, through two sub floors (yeah, not sure why there were two sub floors) and into the room below where all of my water needs will be handled. I have to admit, this was knuckle biter.

While I wanted initially to go through the wall into the floor below, it quickly became apparent that, due to space limitations, I would be seriously challenged to pull this off correctly. So through the floor I decided to go.

First, I had to estimate exactly where to go through the floor. The issue is, the room below is a small utility room, that houses my refill tanks, a slop sink, and my HVAC unit. The area where I went through the floor needed to open exactly in a small 6-8" shaft between a massive duct and the actual heating unit. I did a lot of measuring, from all sides - outside, from walls, ceilings, etc. Then I drilled a small pilot hole. I put a flashlight over the hole, then went down to see if I had achieved success. Well first try and there was nothing! I tested a coat hanger and that showed me the problem. I had hit a second sub floor. SO I went to the hardware store and bought a 10" 3/32" drill bit. Now I was able to punch through. Turns out I would be drilling through 4.5 inches of solid wood.

My approach was to start with a 1" hole saw. I did this to save the oak piece to potentially use it later to patch the floor when I sell the house. I also ordered a few of these as backup

http://www.widgetco.com/oak-wood-floor-plugs-1-inch

Next, I grabbed a 1" spade bit. These bits look like this

spade drill by choerenz, on Flickr

This guy did the rest of the hard work. about 15 minutes later I was through and had a perfect hole to feed my plumbing through. Don't worry, the full plan will be in a post coming this week. It will be clear why I am only making a single hole and not running the full system through the floor.

Unread 07/16/2017, 06:23 PM   #25
Arkayology
Registered Member

That Reef Savvy is one sexy tank. I can't wait to see it out of the box.

in between tanks
Arkayology is offline   Reply With Quote