Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2014, 11:06 AM   #1
Badlands25
Registered Member

Cutting live rock

What type of band saw would you recommend for cutting live/base rock? I want to silicone flat and small rounded pieces to my back wall. Will a regular band saw work with a specific blade? Thanks

Badlands25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2014, 11:13 AM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

You could rent a a tile wet saw that should do the trick for you, and keeping wet would avoid possible fumes from heat like a band saw may do.
If it is live, be careful of breathing any fumes caused by friction/heat.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Reefer54
Registered Member

a diamond blade is going to go the furthest, BY FAR. If your rock is real porous like Marco Rocks, you can cut it with a grinder or even tile saw no problem at all and it will hold silicone real easy.

I used a sharp hand saw on some small pieces and that worked but it is cumbersome and easy to slip and crack the stone or cut yourself.

Show pics as you go. people love this stuff and always have questions.

Current Tank Info: 36 x 36 x 25 Cube, mixed reef, A360WE x 3, A350N x 1, 40GB sump, RDSB, Remote LR Cryptic, 2 WP-40's, ummm....
Reefer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2014, 11:20 AM   #4
clay12340
Registered Member

In my experience it depends a lot on which rock you're trying to cut. Some types of dry rock are pretty easy to cut with just a hand saw, so I think you could probably get away with a lot of different blades. I bought some of the quarried rock and I could barely put a dent in it with my hand saw. That stuff is basically just limestone, so you'd probably need a specialized diamond coated blade. Might even require some kind of cooling system. I asked the company I bought it from how they do it and they said that they use a concrete saw to do their cutting.

If you don't already have the rocks you can request cut pieces from at least some of the dry rock companies. Marcos sells them as prime cuts, and I was able to get some cut from reef rocks.

clay12340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2014, 11:48 AM   #5
Rognin
Registered Member

This is good to know.

Here's a question on the same train of thought. What kind of drill bit is used to drill live rock? Concrete?

Corals: Want SPS, LPS with zoas

Current Tank Info: Custom 145 gallon.
Rognin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2014, 12:10 PM   #6
Electrobes
Montipora type guy

Masonry Bit, but cutting wet rock is much harder the. Dry.

Current Tank Info: 100G Half Cylinder
Electrobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2014, 12:17 PM   #7
MSUschmidt
Registered Member

The quickest and fastest way to do this, is to get an Electric Chop Saw and put a Diamond Blade on them. Harbor Freight has cheap diamond blades if you don't know a Mason / Contractor.

Take it out of the water, toss it on the saw, BAM, cut it, put it back in the water.

Here's a link to the first one I saw on Google. http://www.rakuten.com/prod/new-dewa...FewRMwodXEIAFg

Any Saw like this will work. Depending on the size, you will need to cut it possibly from both sides.

If you have questions, PM me. I own an Limestone Fabrication Business. Cutting Stone is all I do LOL.

Unread 03/25/2014, 12:26 PM   #8
MSUschmidt
Registered Member

You can use a Gas Saw like this http://www.rakuten.com/prod/k760-5-h...FewRMwodXEIAFg Just not as easy if your not experienced.

You can use a Tile Saw, aka wet saw like Mentioned, but the problem is it Typically won't cut high enough for you depeneing on what size rock you want to cut

The nice thing about these little cheap Electric Chop Saws for bench top use is it really locks the rock in places when cutting.

Will get a smoother cut than using a free hand saw, but can be done too

Unread 03/25/2014, 01:07 PM   #9
davocean
Registered Member

If you do use a chop saw, make darn sure it is tight to the fence to avoid it sucking in at a significant speed that is sure to wake you up, and be careful once it is in half as well, it can launch pretty well if you are not careful.
And can't say enough, don't breath vapor/fumes from friction heat if you do dry cuts on living rock.
As for bits, yes, masonry bits, they are cheap, and oversize slightly, 3/4 bit for 1/2 rods if that is what you are using.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2014, 01:34 PM   #10
brad
Registered Member

I've tried to work with live rock. I haven't tried it on my wet saw, but I do have one. IMO most rock will not hold up to the saw and fall apart. The saw's blade might be too small, you probably want to split rock along the hardest dimension to split it (cutting it in half the short way probably won't work so well in the tank).

brad is offline   Reply With Quote