Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2020, 09:02 AM   #1
chuckbuc
Registered Member

Mp60 swollen magnet .can this cause stn

So I recently lost a few sps colonys with no reason .started off as a slow stn .and never stopped .I decided to put the main cknys and clip the uper 3 inch tips .every frag made it and looks healthy in the frag tank that's attached to the system..I know I dont have any bugs so I element ated that .just trying to figure out why the loss .tanks been running almost 3 years all parameters are checked weekly except for alk I check that every other day .I did however find a swollen mp60 westside magnet .I'm wondering if that could cause the stn issue ? Just wanted everyone's thoughts .i think i am going to send my water out to icp just to see

chuckbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2020, 10:51 AM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbuc View Post
So I recently lost a few sps colonys with no reason .started off as a slow stn .and never stopped .I decided to put the main cknys and clip the uper 3 inch tips .every frag made it and looks healthy in the frag tank that's attached to the system..I know I dont have any bugs so I element ated that .just trying to figure out why the loss .tanks been running almost 3 years all parameters are checked weekly except for alk I check that every other day .I did however find a swollen mp60 westside magnet .I'm wondering if that could cause the stn issue ? Just wanted everyone's thoughts .i think i am going to send my water out to icp just to see
Ask this in the reef chemistry or SPS sub forum. I've never heard of this causing STN. Was the magnet damaged or rusty?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2020, 11:19 AM   #3
chuckbuc
Registered Member

[Yeah the magnet was swollen ,cracked and had some rust on it QUOTE=Dmorty217;25643979]Ask this in the reef chemistry or SPS sub forum. I've never heard of this causing STN. Was the magnet damaged or rusty?[/QUOTE]

chuckbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2020, 12:53 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes its "possible" but there really isn't much in the way of hard facts about what causes STN..
AKA.. I have seen no proof that it does.. and not proof that it doesn't..

There is a big thread around here about magnets like that causing issues with SPS corals,etc..
Found it..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2434127

And what a search here gets you..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2491490
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2621134&page=2
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2661092
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2491081

Unread 01/16/2020, 01:06 AM   #5
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

Yes it causes stn in corals through anecdotal experiences. Tin usually is the killer from it.

Current Tank Info: 220 galon mixed reef.
boxfishpooalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2020, 09:27 PM   #6
dadnjesse
Registered Member

Do you use Vinegar to clean them. I used to but found the Vinegar causes this.

dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2020, 10:35 PM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

STN is still a mystery, but I'd pull any questionable equipment, run Polyfilter, and do some water changes.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2020, 12:53 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
Do you use Vinegar to clean them. I used to but found the Vinegar causes this.
Yes exposure to "undiluted" or under diluted Vinegar can weaken seals/epoxy,etc... over time.

Unread 01/19/2020, 01:03 PM   #9
josbur63
Registered Member

Anything and everything causes stn,thats the problem.Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason,thats whats so infuriating about this hobby.Eventually it happens to everyone.

josbur63 is offline   Reply With Quote