Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2016, 08:13 PM   #76
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi View Post
More photos for the love of God haha, can I see the sump please
Missed this post some how, sorry. This is the sump as of today. I still need to clean up some wires and I'm experimenting with the PAR38 to see if it provides any real advantage over the 6500k CFLs I've been using. I still havent installed the magnetic door switches but in my defense, I was out of town all of August LOL.

madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2016, 10:24 AM   #77
madweazl
Registered Member

After a few days of testing the PAR38 over the refugium, I've come to the conclusion that it is doing more harm than good. The light appears to be burning the caulerpa in a few spots, presumably due to the relatively short distance between the two. I dont have enough headroom in the stand to effectively increase this distance so I'll continue on with the 6500k CFLs (probably time to replace these actually). I may be able to find some lower intensity LEDs in the same range however.

Unread 09/25/2016, 08:53 AM   #78
madweazl
Registered Member

Do your hermits congregate at night? These guys/gals do every single night and in the same spot.

Unread 09/25/2016, 09:05 AM   #79
electronaught
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
Do your hermits congregate at night? These guys/gals do every single night and in the same spot.
I haven't seen mine do that in either tank. They are generally busy picking through different areas.

I did notice LARGE congregations like that on a recent snorkeling trip off Curacao though... fwiw.

electronaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2016, 07:25 PM   #80
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronaught View Post
I haven't seen mine do that in either tank. They are generally busy picking through different areas.

I did notice LARGE congregations like that on a recent snorkeling trip off Curacao though... fwiw.
I dont remember it happening in my previous setups either; been interesting to watch.

Unread 09/25/2016, 10:33 PM   #81
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

My ceriths actually do this as well^^^
Wierdly my troch and nass snails do not. I think it is really just a cerith thing

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pandagobyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2016, 03:10 PM   #82
madweazl
Registered Member

Couple additions from yesterday:

Meteor shower (cyphastrea); color a bit washed out on the polyps, I'll try for a better image with the dSLR.

Monti cap

Unread 09/26/2016, 05:15 PM   #83
madweazl
Registered Member

Full disclosure. Not quite as tidy down there as it once was but not too bad (shaming myself it to picking up more cable guides).

Unread 09/26/2016, 06:11 PM   #84
WhiskeyCoffee
Registered Member

Sorry if it's been asked but what model sump is that?

WhiskeyCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2016, 06:43 PM   #85
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyCoffee View Post
Sorry if it's been asked but what model sump is that?
eShopps R200; one of the early gens (1 or 2, cant remember off the top of my head). It's a pretty nice size for a 75 gallon display; just big enough for decent sized equipment to support the tank. Skimmer and refugium compartments have roughly 9.75-10.1" of water depth so they can accommodate a wide range of skimmers. This model didnt come with a probe holder so I had to opt for a magnetic unit. Only has two inlets for the socks so you have to reroute one channel if you're going beananimal (I ran the emergency channel into the refugium). Overall not bad for the price.

Most of the hardware should be listed in the first post.

Edit: I lied, it's in post #4.

Unread 09/26/2016, 10:37 PM   #86
electronaught
Registered Member

Quote:
Full disclosure. Not quite as tidy down there as it once was but not too bad (shaming myself it to picking up more cable guides).
Yeah, I was going to say something about how messy it was getting under there...

electronaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2016, 08:03 PM   #87
Bluefish9
Registered Member

I like those power strips. Where can I find them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluefish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2016, 06:41 AM   #88
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefish9 View Post
I like those power strips. Where can I find them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're Reef Angel relay bars that I disassembled and painted white.

Was time to beef up the CuC. Hopefully the shrimp take care of the two aiptasia I have (mother ship just hatched a baby).

Unread 09/29/2016, 08:38 AM   #89
madweazl
Registered Member

Some pictures of the goofball. Sorry about the grain, I keep forgetting to grab the tripod from storage.

Unread 09/29/2016, 08:52 AM   #90
Irieman
Registered Member

love your build. thanks for posting it.

Irieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 09:05 AM   #91
Devaji108
Registered Member

looking good!!

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 11:58 AM   #92
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Very nice build!

How do you like your Waveline return pump? I am putting together a 75g tank and I am considering getting the same pump. Do you think it has enough flow capacity to feed a couple of reactors through a manifold and still maintain a good return rate to the DT?

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 12:16 PM   #93
madweazl
Registered Member

I noticed the RBTA expel some zooxanthella last night. I'd recently read an article regarding clams expelling excess zooxanthella but had never observed this (the anemones color has remained consistent).

Increased the intensity of the daylight channel by 5% today for max intensities of 35% daylight and 40% actinic (hate the Windex appearance). I'll keep an eye on everything and hope nobody revolts. Also reduced the photo-period in the refugium to 14 hours; it was previously 18 hours (thought I had it at 16 but must have accidentally changed it at some point). That or my math just sucks...

Unread 09/29/2016, 12:21 PM   #94
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Sea View Post
Very nice build!

How do you like your Waveline return pump? I am putting together a 75g tank and I am considering getting the same pump. Do you think it has enough flow capacity to feed a couple of reactors through a manifold and still maintain a good return rate to the DT?
I have it set to the third lowest setting. Any more flow and my macros would be uprooted in the refugium so that leaves a lot of headroom to play with for a manifold.

I was going to run a manifold to the carbon reactor and skimmer but decided against it as I figured I'd be constantly re-adjusting. The skimmer probably wouldnt matter much but the reactor does begin to build up debris in the canister so the flow changes.

As for the Waveline, it has been running one day short of four months and I have no complaints. It doesnt make any more (or less) noise than it did in the beginning and has proven reliable to this point (certainly not very long). Hopefully it continues to perform well.

Unread 09/29/2016, 01:44 PM   #95
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Quote:
I have it set to the third lowest setting. Any more flow and my macros would be uprooted in the refugium so that leaves a lot of headroom to play with for a manifold.

I was going to run a manifold to the carbon reactor and skimmer but decided against it as I figured I'd be constantly re-adjusting. The skimmer probably wouldnt matter much but the reactor does begin to build up debris in the canister so the flow changes.

As for the Waveline, it has been running one day short of four months and I have no complaints. It doesnt make any more (or less) noise than it did in the beginning and has proven reliable to this point (certainly not very long). Hopefully it continues to perform well.
Glad to hear that it has plenty of capacity. I plan on running my reactors off of a manifold.

Thanks for the update on its performance. I haven't found a lot of favorable reviews on them and I can't tell if the reviews are for the Apex ready models or the earlier generation units.

Unread 09/29/2016, 02:00 PM   #96
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Glad to hear that it has plenty of capacity. I plan on running my reactors off of a manifold.

Thanks for the update on its performance. I haven't found a lot of favorable reviews on them and I can't tell if the reviews are for the Apex ready models or the earlier generation units.
I have the first gen and like you, I was skeptical to use it but I got it in trade for another item (new unused) so I figured I'd give it a shot. Have wavemakers in the display so if the return died there wouldnt be any major repercussions for quite a while. So far, so good. Hopefully it stays that way for years to come.

Unread 09/29/2016, 05:56 PM   #97
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Do you find it to be fairly quiet?

Unread 09/29/2016, 06:22 PM   #98
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you find it to be fairly quiet?
It's not bad. It is probably tied between the PP8 pumps (when they're at max) for most noise in my system but it doesnt bug me at all in my home office.

Unread 09/29/2016, 06:26 PM   #99
madweazl
Registered Member

The angle it was meant to be viewed from. One of these days I'll actually buy the La-Z-Boy's that I had envisioned when I planned it out. In the meantime, I'll just have to wheel my desk chair over.

Unread 09/30/2016, 02:41 PM   #100
madweazl
Registered Member

New kits (Salifert) arrived so I can get a better handle on the dosing.

KH - 7.0
Ca - 460
Mag - 1380

Looks like I have a small amount of balancing to do (I'll test the fresh mixed saltwater tomorrow) but not to bad. I use Reef Crystals and havent dosed anything since start up exactly four months ago.

Rest of the CuC arrived today along with three peppermint shrimp. Shortly after adding them, there were four extra loud pops that came from the tiger pistol's lair. Hopefully I still have some peppermints...

Last edited by madweazl; 09/30/2016 at 03:13 PM.