Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2018, 09:20 AM   #1
travis32
Registered Member

Temple (tank) of Doom

the title is a bit melodramatic, but we tend to and be a little melodramatic with our tanks at times. O.k. well I do. Because it's such an awesome and majestic biosphere, and a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and $$$$$$$ goes into it. So, it's important to us.

However, my note is a bit on the lighter side, because I don't want to admit I know the answer. I've had a 2-3 year break from being in the reef hobby, and had owned several reef aquariums from 55 gallon to 220 gallon. Now a 340 gallon custom aquarium. It's been active for 2 months now. With fish for going on 1 week. No corals or anything yet, just about 100-120 lbs of rock. (not enough, but plan to add more over time with corals. Going for a less is more look.

That said, I think my tank is foreshadowing some doom to me. That and it may just be the fact that on a 125g I battled hair algae for about a year before I finally won the battle. Corals and rocks were covered in it. I harvested huge clumps every 2-3 days for months on end. I did everything in the fight algae war known to man. I finally won, but it took close to a year of slow changes.

Now, my paranoia is kicking. I tested nitrates and phosphates just to make sure everything was cycled before adding fish. I expected some nitrates. I would have been a bit terrified if there were none. Nitrates were between 4 and 6 with a new red sea test kit. Pegged at 4 on the low range test, and less than 8 on the high range test. About where I'd like them starting out with fish and a new bacteria. (all rock was dry and sterile for the last 2-3 years.)

The thing that alarmed me a little and is prophesying the doom... Phosphates are at .08 ppm. It was about dead on. With the Red Sea phosphate test. (also brand new and nonexpired). I only use RODI with 0 TDS. I hadn't had my skimmer turned on (to foster bacterial growth) but had fed some flake food to speed bacterial growth.

I did not clean my rocks, so I expected decayed matter to release from the rocks and most likely release some phosphates and maybe even start the ammonia cycle on their own. But, I didn't expect .08 ppm phosphates in a system with 400 gallons of clean saltwater.

I can't put any SPS in that for sure, they'd be covered in algae in a day. So, I guess, is this a prophecy of what's to come, or is it natural to have a phosphate spike when cycling a tank. That part I'm a little fuzzy on?
I also wonder if the rocks are leaching phosphates as well?

I was planning to put a Algae Turf Scrubber on (either a prebuilt one from Turbo Aquatics or the largest one that BRS sells) and run my skimmer in conjunction. Just wondering if the scrubber is needed sooner than later to avoid having vast array of algae issues starting off in the display.

Or will algae consume the phosphates and get consumed by the skimmer, and it'll be good for a while? In other words, just a natural part of the process?

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

All new tanks go through a process & algae is just one of them.
Heck even the 20,000 gallon tank in Riverhead had so many tangs just for that purpose when new. I would opt for a Turbo Aquatics model myself. He is more than willing to answer your concerns just ask. The new thinking is -0- nitrates & phosphates is not really a good thing, everything needs some to survive.
That big tank I mentioned runs around 0.16 on phosphate. You should see the size of the corals.

Unread 11/20/2018, 10:52 AM   #3
travis32
Registered Member

Thanks for the confirmation, I was aware of the algae cycle (still starting for me), but, wasn't sure if the phosphates should be alarming yet. Sounds like no, they'll burn off and stabilize at some point.

I agree, that a sterile tank isn't necessarily a good thing. Everything needs food and nutrients.

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 11:38 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

phosphates can be bound up in rock..

Unread 11/20/2018, 11:12 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

The rock might be leaching, as stated, or the phosphate might be from decay. There are lots of methods for removing phosphate. For now, I'd just wait and see what the algae scrubber and some time can do. You might want to consider some GFO at some point. It's a fairly cheap way to remove phosphate quickly. Lanthanum chloride is cheaper, but it should be dosed into a sock to catch the precipitate that forms.