Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/10/2011, 05:09 PM   #1
Jsin
Registered Member

ACjr serial cable ?

I just ordered the serial cable for my ACjr so I can update the firmware. The issue is My laptop only has usb ports and the cable comes with a DB9 connector. Would I be safe getting a cheap USB to DB9 adapter or is there something to the $30 adapters that I am not aware of. The little adapters range from $1.00 and up. I just want to be safe, plus I am clueless with all of these adapters. I would hate to go thru with all of this and get snagged because of a crappy adapter.

Current Tank Info: 45 gallon mixed reef
Jsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2011, 05:19 PM   #2
RussM
Registered Member

If you have 32-bit Windows on that notebook, any adapter should be fine. If you have 64-bit Windows, verify that the adapter packaging states compatibility with 64-bit Windows. You'll find that the models with better/newer chipsets and 64-bit drivers do cost more.

RussM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Jsin
Registered Member

Ok thanks that helps me out. I do have 64 bit so I will be sure to check for that.

Current Tank Info: 45 gallon mixed reef
Jsin is offline   Reply With Quote