Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2015, 05:58 PM   #1
jkienzpac
Registered Member

Tunze Comline Streamfilter 3163

I purchased this filter about 6 months ago and the internal magnet is already rusted. I use this filter in my quarantine tank and discovered a large amount of rust on the side of the tank. Need to know how to get a replacement.

Overall, I am disappointed with the overall quality of the filter given its cost. The seems keep separating and the top skimmer portion keeps lifting upward.

Thanks

jkienzpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2015, 09:03 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

As far as the magnets, two issues can cause this. The magnets themselves are ceramic and cannot rust, however they can pick up iron particles, including GFO which is just pelletized rust and this can lead to staining. I have also seen magnets brand new from the box with iron filings they picked up at the factory. In this case the staining can simply be cleaned off and provided the magnets do not pick up more particles the stain will not recur. Vinegar and CLR can both be used, CLR is much faster but thorough rinsing is required afterwards. The other cause can be that the magnets are bridged underneath by an iron plate. This plate is coated and should not rust (the black polyurethane edging around the magnets covers this plate and seals it). It is a plain iron plate, it is not plated in zinc or nickel and would create no toxic substances. If this is rusting due to a breach of the seal, their is a distinct difference in the appearance. When due to collected iron particles the appearance will be of flakes near the edges of the magnets. When due to a breach of the iron plate, the stain will have a distinct bullseye in the resin around the edges and the staining will be more heavy on the magnets themselves and have a pattern that is less wide spread and not confined to an edge where there is a rusting/flaking iron debris.

If the unit is properly assembled it should not easily separate and the lid should not lift upwards. One possibility would be that the pump is not in the proper position so the cord is in the way and preventing the two halves from fully closing, one of the plates can also do this if it is not lined up in the groove it should be in. The lid lifting could be related to this and may also be due to buoyant filter material lifting it up. I would be happy to have a look at it or try to walk you through solving these issues by emailing some pictures back and forth.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2015, 06:46 PM   #3
jkienzpac
Registered Member

Attachment 314666

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0487.jpg (55.5 KB, 14 views)
Unread 04/15/2015, 06:49 PM   #4
jkienzpac
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. So I can just soak this in some household vinegar? For how long?
I have no GFO running in the quarantine.

Unread 04/16/2015, 10:02 AM   #5
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I would soak it in vinegar for an hour, give it a scrub with a toothbrush. Soak it for one more hour and it should be mostly gone. If it recurs, we will replace it. This one is a tough call, from the photo it looks like iron particles in the lower left corner and not rusting of the plate below the magnets.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 09/27/2015, 10:52 AM   #6
jkienzpac
Registered Member

Hey Roger,

Thanks and sorry for the delayed reply, however, I haven't needed to use the filter over the summer. I tried to remove the rust off the magnet per your recommendations without success. Was only able to remove some of the rust stain. I would like to know how I can obtain a replacement magnet for the filter.

Thanks,

Jeff

Unread 09/28/2015, 09:56 AM   #7
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Email me a copy of the reciept- Tunze at sbcglobal dot net

Unread 09/28/2015, 06:10 PM   #8
jkienzpac
Registered Member

Sent,
thanks