Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/06/2011, 03:47 PM   #1
nonstopfishies
Registered Member

Best way to Treat a Blueline Angel

I have a 1 1/2 inch Juvenile Blueline Angel on hold at my LFS. It is eating very well. I am very excited and getting him for the amazing price of just over a 100 bucks! I am wondering how people have treated these fish in QT before putting them into their display.

I know Angels as a whole are sensitive to Copper, but I have cupramined other large angels before with no problems. What about these?

Does Hypo work with them?

Any insight people with experience can provide would be great!! Thanks!

nonstopfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2011, 06:29 PM   #2
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

Just my personal opinion, this is a very controversial area. As a preventive measure,I have treated several angels using Cupramine at .35ppm---lower than the suggested.50 ppm, but still effective against ich & velvet. If you go this route; increase Cupramine slowly to .35 and watch the fish closely, be ready to lower copper if he doesn't seem to tolerate it. IME, this is rare. Be sure he's eating in your QT first, loss of appetite is often the 1st sign that he is copper-sensitive. An accurate copper test kit is a must; Sailfert or SeaChem. SeaChem tech support will always help too, they make Cupramine. (888-seachem, I think). I have never read anything that says these angels are any more copper-sensitive than others.
Hypo will work; but has to be exact, there's no room for error. I would never do hypo without an ATO and a good, well-calibrated hydrometer. Again, all this is IMO & IME. BTW, this is an amazing price for this fish, they are summer season fish and I seem to have seen more than the usual number of them at online dealers this year.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2011, 07:20 PM   #3
nonstopfishies
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuskfish View Post
Just my personal opinion, this is a very controversial area. As a preventive measure,I have treated several angels using Cupramine at .35ppm---lower than the suggested.50 ppm, but still effective against ich & velvet. If you go this route; increase Cupramine slowly to .35 and watch the fish closely, be ready to lower copper if he doesn't seem to tolerate it. IME, this is rare. Be sure he's eating in your QT first, loss of appetite is often the 1st sign that he is copper-sensitive. An accurate copper test kit is a must; Sailfert or SeaChem. SeaChem tech support will always help too, they make Cupramine. (888-seachem, I think). I have never read anything that says these angels are any more copper-sensitive than others.
Hypo will work; but has to be exact, there's no room for error. I would never do hypo without an ATO and a good, well-calibrated hydrometer. Again, all this is IMO & IME. BTW, this is an amazing price for this fish, they are summer season fish and I seem to have seen more than the usual number of them at online dealers this year.
Thanks for all the info and some reassurance!

I generally have kept my copper treatments under .5 like you say, though not quite as low as .35. I also make sure everything is eating in QT before treating because if they aren't eating they sure won't with a treatment going. I have a test kit too, I believe seachem.

I agree with the hypo, I prefer to use cupramine for this reason, but wanted to make sure I could use copper with this fish.

I have noticed the higher numbers too. LA has them in stock right now. So does NYAquatic. Not a fish I would want to have shipped though, glad I saw it at the LFS.

The Blueline has only been there for 2 days and was tearing up a food mixture(called Limpit's reef) and picking it off the bottom. Not scared of humans either, no hiding. Needless to say I am pretty stoked. I am going to keep it at the store on hold for a few more days and if all goes well bring him home.

Thanks again!

nonstopfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2011, 06:19 PM   #4
jhentr
Registered Member

Just gone thru a month of Cupramine with my 2 inch blueline. It went thru it fine as I ramped up the Cu treatment slowly over a week (like stated above).

Very cool fish, esp. the juve colors and the adult colors coming in together. Good Luck!

jhentr is offline   Reply With Quote