Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/04/2011, 07:31 PM   #1
NyReefNoob
skimmer freak

How much do you feed daily

what do you feed daily and if it varies day to day please list. I ask because of the variety of fish i have i usualy feed 3 types of frozen a day and 3 times a week i feed pellets additionally, and 3 times a i week i feed IO marine chips. I dont really think i feed alot considering fish and corals, plus i run a larger skimmer. frozen is a mix daily with mysis being 1 of them on a daily basis. And either spirula brine, brine, angel and butterfly mix, krill, pe mysis, and so on. so really about 7 different frozen types a week, plus i hang a red algea sheet once a month. And mainly have wrasse's a few gobies, a blenny and a pair of true percs. Oh and my blue sided pipe fish ive had for about a year.

My dad always said the only stupid questions are the ones not asked

Current Tank Info: custom 45g cube AIO
NyReefNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2011, 08:19 PM   #2
jcw
Registered Member

1/2 cube of mysis or 1/2 cube of cyclops
plus
rods herbivore blend or rods coral blend
plus
multivitamin and fish oil

2-3x per day on the DT.

-eznet2u

Current Tank Info: 125g DT, custom 30g sump, ATB elegance, eheim 1260, mp40 (too many failed wetsides), gyre 150 (love it)
jcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2011, 08:58 PM   #3
nonstopfishies
Registered Member

I feed about 5 to 6 times a day. Sometimes more. Small feedings each time.

NLS 3 times a day
PE Mysis once a day
Once or twice a day Homemade blend of shrimp, squid, silversides, clams, scallops, mussels, plankton, cyclopeeze, selcon, vitachem, and proly some other stuff I am missing.
Every couple days an angel blend(For angels in my FOWLR, but fish in reef love it too)

I soak the mysis every couple days in Selcon.

All this stuff is for a 210 with tangs, anthias, clowns, wrasses.

My Atlantic blue tang and Vlamingi tang will not touch any sort of sheets of nori and any other sheet algaes. Same with my angels, Scribbled just tears it up, but doesn't eat it, Emperor won't touch it.

nonstopfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2011, 05:18 PM   #4
aquaph8
Love The Fish

I mix a bunch of frozen food together in a shot glass and feed a little each day, probably about a tea spoon ( this is mixed with water and selcon ) comes out to be about a cube.

I also feed about 1/3 sheet nore and my auto feeder feeds a mix of sizes of NLS pellets 3 times a day.

Once in a great while I make my own food with whatever the super market has at the time and replace my frozen food with that.

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Wolverine
RC Mod

Depends on the tank and what's in it. With lionfish, for example, I'll go a few times a week. With anthias and active wrasses, I've had some tanks where I feed a couple of times a day.

Current Tank Info: 14g, 29g nano reefs
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2011, 11:56 PM   #6
RealReef7
Registered Member

heavy once a day seems to work dandy.

RealReef7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2011, 12:07 AM   #7
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

I try to mix it up a lot, like

Early AM: Mysis, Brine

Late PM: Nori, Krill

Next day:

Early AM: NLS Pellets

Late PM: Mysis

then the next day i'll do vice-versa.

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2011, 04:52 AM   #8
Troender
Registered Member

How often would you recommend to feed clownfish that is growing? They are such active little things.

Troender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2011, 08:23 AM   #9
dzfish17
Registered Member

I feed my tank twice a day. I use a mix of nls, flakes, mysis and angel formula. I use flakes and pellets at the first feeding (around 2 pm) and frozen in the evening (around 8 pm). I also give them some nori a few times a week.

Unread 10/06/2011, 08:32 AM   #10
aragonite55
Registered Member

Twice daily for me too.

aragonite55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2011, 08:39 AM   #11
Allmost
Moved On

with the 200G overstocked tank :
8 times a day NLS mixed with flakes, and some other pellets like formula1 and 2[auto feeder]
4 cubes of hickari mysis when I have it.[at night to get some feeding frenzy response]
PE mysis fed heavily for moorish Idol and anchilles. [two times at night]
nori added as often as I can ...

all foods enriched in Angelix [AA from Sponges] and Zoe. once a week I enrich with lipotiv.

for seahorses :
PE mysis ... usually 1-2 times a day ...

lionfish tank
once a week, atlantic shrimp.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2011, 08:45 AM   #12
launchnukes
Registered Member

I feed formula one pellets on an auto feeder twice during the day, a 1/2 sheet of nori each night when i get home from work, and two cubes of a special mix around 9 or 10 each night. the mix includes mysis, brine, cyclopeze, garlic, nori, and zoecon, and some other stuff. i have about 20 fish, 4 tangs and a mix of anthias, wrasses, helfrichis, and other similar fish.

Previous Tank: 300DD Display 500g system.
launchnukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2011, 04:00 PM   #13
cadre
Registered Member

This also depends on the system for me. But, for my current reef tank I feed twice a day five days a week (on weekends I'm working from lights on to lights out, sometimes I'll feed a little to the fish that get up when the house lights come on). For the fish, I'm currently trying Rods foods because it is a mix of a lot of the same foods I used to mix myself. I save a little bit of time that way and for some reason my picky tang seems to like it better. I'll usually thaw out a bit with tank water and feed it over the course of a few days. I used to strain all of my frozen foods but since I have a lot of filter feeders in this tank I'm experimenting with putting everything into the tank. I don't currently add any supplements, I'm debating trying that.

For what it's worth, in my nano reef I had fewer fish that were mostly full grown and I fed a mix of ova, mysis and marine cuisine every 2 days. That worked well for that tank.

cadre is offline   Reply With Quote