Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/11/2010, 09:51 AM   #676
Pufferpunk
Moved On

There's definitely something to this stuff! I looked into my BW Figure 8 puffer tank yesterday to see a 1/2 dead puffer. She had been keeping a darker belly all week & her tail was starting to look shorter & a bit frayed but yesterday, she was floating tail up near the overflow, being tossed around by the current. She had a film on her & refused even live blackworms. The other puffer was getting fat on them & all the other fish were fine. I added Melafix & 1/4 tsp VC to her tank. Kept checking on her until bedtime but no changes. Added another 1/2 tsp VC before bed. This morning the film is gone, her belly is white & she ate!!!

Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2010, 10:21 AM   #677
Handofdume
Registered Member

The actual concentration is 1690mg ascorbic acid and 210mg sodium per 1/2 tspn. For other ingredients its say none and says contains no sugar, starch, yeast, wheat, gluten, soy, milk, egg, shellfish or preservatives. I intend to switch to the brand your using because its a better value.

To make a long story short i am starting at such a low amount just because i'm leary of adding things to my tank. I battled a hair algae problem for a while and in a moment of insanity decided to add Algaefix Marine against my better judgement. It did kill a majority of the algae and it did not kill a single organism in my tank, however after 10 doses all my corals look po'd for a lack of a better term.

My hope with the C is to reduce my N/P lower to remove the remaining algae and with the apparent added benefits in the C boost my corals.

Handofdume is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2010, 10:23 AM   #678
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Starting slow is great!

Unread 04/12/2010, 07:28 PM   #679
studmaster
Registered Member

PH Drop

I posted a message regarding this topic before, I was just wondering if anyone that has a PH monitor has noticed any sort of drop after adding VC? I have a 50Gal saltwater tank and I add 1/2 tsp around 830pm. It went from 8.12 to 8.02 within an hour of adding the VC. That seems way too much. I am currently having PH problems, but it still shouldn't swing it that much, should it?

I have always thought that the VC feeds the bacteria that therefore produce CO2, which lowers the PH. My skimmer always goes nuts too after adding VC.

studmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 08:55 PM   #680
ludnix
Registered Member

What time does your light turn off? You should expect a pH drop at night from the change in photosynthesis.

Current Tank Info: 14g Biocube
ludnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 04:38 AM   #681
studmaster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludnix View Post
What time does your light turn off? You should expect a pH drop at night from the change in photosynthesis.
the PH drops happens way before the lights go off. I turn the lights off around 1130, and the drop happened within an hour of dosing the VC.

Unread 04/13/2010, 08:20 AM   #682
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Are you using the buffered I-herb VC?

Unread 04/13/2010, 03:29 PM   #683
studmaster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufferpunk View Post
Are you using the buffered I-herb VC?
yes the exact one!

Unread 04/13/2010, 06:10 PM   #684
studmaster
Registered Member

okay, so I tested it with half the dosage of VC, so 1/4 tsp and the PH dropped about half the amount. This time it went down from 8.11 to 8.06. VC definitely has an effect on my PH.

Unread 04/13/2010, 06:13 PM   #685
ludnix
Registered Member

That is very interesting. I would think that a small quantity of anything with that small of a pH difference could affect the overall pH of the solution that much. I wonder what is going on chemically there.

Current Tank Info: 14g Biocube
ludnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2010, 05:05 AM   #686
studmaster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludnix View Post
That is very interesting. I would think that a small quantity of anything with that small of a pH difference could affect the overall pH of the solution that much. I wonder what is going on chemically there.
I think my PH isn't really that stable. My latest thoughts are that my system is low in magnesium because I drip Kalk. Apparently systems low in magnesium will have the calcium precipitate out quicker and therefore the PH will be lower and will have a wider swing during day/night. I think for the amount of Kalk I drip, my calcium levels should be higher than the 380-400 range I can't seem to get past.

Because my PH isn't that stable, the VC feeds the bacteria which produce CO2 and that causes my PH to drop. Just throwing out some ideas here.

Unread 04/14/2010, 08:51 AM   #687
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I have always said (& posted in my instructions), to be sure your pH & alk are stable, before starting to dose VC.

Unread 04/15/2010, 04:21 AM   #688
studmaster
Registered Member

Quote:
I have always said (& posted in my instructions), to be sure your pH & alk are stable, before starting to dose VC.
okay, what exactly do you mean by "stable". As in it doesn't swing much from day to night, and if so what's a stable range?

Unread 04/15/2010, 08:24 AM   #689
Pufferpunk
Moved On

At least at acceptable ranges of ~8.2 for pH & 8-9 for alk.

Unread 04/15/2010, 10:19 PM   #690
studmaster
Registered Member

Quote:
At least at acceptable ranges of ~8.2 for pH & 8-9 for alk.
yeah, I can't seem to get my PH that high. My alk is 11-12, and my PH is usually between 8 and 8.1

I'll figure out that issue first.

Unread 04/15/2010, 11:01 PM   #691
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Good idea. Try some water changes. Check your Ca & Mg too.

Unread 05/02/2010, 09:11 PM   #692
studmaster
Registered Member

Quote:
Good idea. Try some water changes. Check your Ca & Mg too.

Ca = 400ppm and Mg=1250
Been reading a bit more about carbon source dosing. In order for VC to remove nitrates, do I need a sand bed? Would this work if I just have a bare bottomed tank, or gravel on the bottom? From what I read dosing a carbon source would feed bacteria in the sand bed and they would eat nitrates.

Unread 05/02/2010, 10:24 PM   #693
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I keep my Mg at around 1350.

Unread 05/03/2010, 04:47 AM   #694
studmaster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studmaster View Post
Ca = 400ppm and Mg=1250
Been reading a bit more about carbon source dosing. In order for VC to remove nitrates, do I need a sand bed? Would this work if I just have a bare bottomed tank, or gravel on the bottom? From what I read dosing a carbon source would feed bacteria in the sand bed and they would eat nitrates.
So do I need a sand bed in order for this to work?

Unread 05/03/2010, 08:12 AM   #695
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I have no sandbed in my 15g frag tank & I add 1/8 tsp VC to keep nitrate levels down.

Unread 05/03/2010, 09:06 AM   #696
Genetics
Registered Member

Quote:
But don't high dosages of vitamin C interfere with alkalinity tests?

Current Tank Info: 15g Waterbox cube
Genetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 09:13 AM   #697
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Interfere with the test or just with alk in general? It does change your alk slightly. I know I did adjust my dosing of alk after I started dosing VC but everything is very stable & within normal range after dosing VC for almost 3 years now.

Last edited by Pufferpunk; 05/03/2010 at 09:21 AM.
Unread 05/03/2010, 04:38 PM   #698
redfishsc
Registered Member

I've noticed that ramping up Vitamin C dosages eventually can lead to high alk. But it's a slow process, mine crept up like 1 dkH per week when I was dosing 1 tsp 2X a day (80g total volume).

That being said, has anyone considered dosing either calcium ascorbate or potassium ascorbate?

I'm thinking that the calcium ascorbate could actually produce something like a "Two-Part" dosing effect.

Or the potassium ascorbate, mixed 50/50 with the sodium ascorbate, could be beneficial (and somewhat more balanced) for SPS, since Randy has hinted that heavy carbon source dosing could possibly reduce potassium levels.

I'd have to buy a potassium kit before I'd try it, but it sounds cool in theory.

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins” -- Søren Kierkegaard

Current Tank Info: ghetto grad school reef.....11g rimless tank, 36X9X9, lit by Cree and Rebels scobbled together. Stocked mostly with free stuff I got from panhandling my fellow reefers.
redfishsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 10:23 PM   #699
Pufferpunk
Moved On

This hasn't been bumped in a while...

Unread 05/17/2010, 07:16 PM   #700
Scma
Registered Member

Just thought I would add in my experience. I started Vit. C dosing nearly two month ago, the first week i ended up with a large diatom breakout but after lowering the dosage, it went away immediately and then I slowly raised the dosage again to about 10ppm.

Definite increase in coral health, very noticeable with their color and openness.
My main reason for starting this was to try and get rid of my hopeless hair algae. It didn't get rid of the algae I already had, but it has had a very large impact on new growth, which has been slim to none.

The other changes that have occurred:
My dKH. It was originally stable at around 5, and now has risen and appears to be stable at 10.
Constant reading of 0 Phosphates and 0 Nitrates

Thank you for sharing this, I will definitely be continuing to dose

Scma is offline   Reply With Quote