Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2017, 01:31 PM   #1
AcroDesCoraux
Registered Member

Talking Clownfish laying eggs but still fighting, the male doesn't want kids !

I've had this pair of Bali Picasso clownfish for about a year, and they have been fighting to determine which one is gonna be the female ever since, but they are still about the same size so I thought they were far from laying eggs.

A couple weeks ago I noticed that they were cleaning the inside of the flower pot and the one with the helmet had a full belly. I was surprised because she's slightly smaller than the male.
I started watching them and the female laid eggs but the male kept picking at her and pushing her out of the clay pot, and he did not fertilize the eggs after.
It's so weird to me ! I have a few pairs of clowns and I've been raising the fry from 2 other pairs for about a month and a half now, but I've never heard of clownfish laying eggs before the female grows larger than the male and my other clowns don't fight once they become a mated pair.
So I thought I would share and I was wondering if some more experience breeders or anyone else had seen this behavior before?
Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XXsiyg_1Io

The female laid eggs again a few days ago, she tried to do it on the inside of the pot but the male did not let her as you can see in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sPEljk-v8s

So she finally laid eggs on the top and this time the male fertilized the eggs, but they still don't seem to agree and pick at each other every day even after they laid eggs lol ! My fish need counseling...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPnmMQ1vdU8

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5246[2].jpg (46.8 KB, 40 views)
AcroDesCoraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2017, 04:59 AM   #2
Martinleo
Registered Member

Well, the thinking of my way you will keep them separate and see what happen. If it is impossible to keep them separately then you have to choose the other way.

Martinleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2018, 01:53 PM   #3
MaxMans96
Registered Member

clownfish eggs time between 1st and 2nd spawning

Hello,
I have a pair of clownfish that layed eggs about 2 weeks ago. I asked myself when they are going to lay eggs again.

,Max

MaxMans96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bali picasso clownfish, clownfish breeding, eggs, fish behaviour, reef