Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2008, 03:33 AM   #1
Lomholt
Registered Member

Lomholts 230 g Reef Ceramic Only tank

I am starting a bigger project with includes 100% reef ceramic background in the aquarium instead of live rocks. After some month (maby half a year) the reef ceramic should work like a filter as well as the live rocks does.

I have had a small nano reef for two month, so I am not that experienced in reef keeping, but I have had this project and dream for quite over a year.

Feel free to give me positive and negative feedback, send questions etc.

The aquarium:

870 liters = 230 gallon

Length: 160 cm. = 63"
Depth: 80 cm. = 31,52"
High: 68 cm. = 26,79"

SUMP: 210 liters = 55 Gallons

Light: 400 watt HQI light

2 x Tunze 6100 cirkulation pumps. Buying two Tunze nano pumps so there will be 2 pumps in each cornor/end.

Skimmer: Bubble King 250 internal (Air: 1500 liters/hour, water: 4000 liters/hour), 48 watt and with a red dragon pump, it is very silent!

Hope you will enjoy the reef ceramic aquarium project as it develops.

Lomholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2008, 04:36 AM   #2
Lomholt
Registered Member

Here are some pictures of the project.

As you can see, the reef ceramic is installed and the next step is to hide electricity wires from the two big Tunze 6100 pumps. We have made som holes in the ceramic, so you would not notice them.

Unread 06/17/2008, 04:39 AM   #3
Lomholt
Registered Member

The total hight from the floor to the aquarium top edge is about 150 cm. Need the ladder so we could jump into the aquarium for ceramic installation.

And this picture belov is from the sweet spot / best seat at the sofa chaiselong

Unread 06/17/2008, 04:51 AM   #4
Lomholt
Registered Member

And here is the installation of the Tunze 6100 Turbelle Stream pump.

The holes at the aquarium ends hide the pumps very well. You can see that the size of the holes are the same size of a grown hand, pretty big

By the way, the reef ceramic is specially made. It is very porous, light and have the same colors reef chalk algaes.

So... what do you think about all this ceramic niggle thing? Let me hear some comments now when the dust had settled

Unread 06/17/2008, 06:04 AM   #5
streetjudge79
Registered Member

Where do you get that stuff? Looks great!

streetjudge79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2008, 06:37 AM   #6
Lomholt
Registered Member

I'm glad that you like it. Every little bit, ceramic plates, pillars, columns etc. is made by hand specially for my tank by a friend of mine, as my tank is pretty high (68 cm). He have access to a oven / stove where he can fire / burn the ingridients and the caramic aquascape that he makes. The process takes a lot of hours to complete and it need to warm-up the ceramic at least two times. One when the structure is right, and second burning after the purple paint job is done.

And as the name says, it is some kind of ceramic that is have a particular mixing which make the porosity high and in that way usefull in a reef aquarium.

So it is not made of clay at all, because that would not work. Over time, I want it to act like a huge filter like with micro organisms, like the live rocks you know.

This ceramic is tested and it is not poisonous to our sensitive reef animals.

Unread 06/17/2008, 07:39 AM   #7
ricks
Registered Member

Nice...

What type of material is your stand fabricated from??? Looks a little light for 2,000lb. of water....

Happy Reefing

ricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2008, 07:56 AM   #8
Lomholt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ricks
Nice...

What type of material is your stand fabricated from??? Looks a little light for 2,000lb. of water....

Happy Reefing
The stand material is aluminium. The profiles are a lot stronger than normal Porsa aluminium stands. I can not remember the name of the manufacture. I can be built up to 1th floor in hight, and can support very much. In fact it is the six vertical alu profiles that support the heavy tank. The horizontal aluminium profiles secure the stability and prevent overturn.

Here are more pictures of the stand:

Picture below. The waterproff plywood plate at the top, is about 3 cm. thick = about 1,2".

Picture below, sweet spot

Last edited by Lomholt; 06/17/2008 at 08:02 AM.
Unread 06/17/2008, 08:16 AM   #9
Lomholt
Registered Member

Before the reef ceramic were installed, they were stored for away from dogs and cats in a secure room

Cant tell you how many times I had walked by, stoped, looked again and again with a smile on my face.

Picture below: A view above the tank. Notice all the caves and cracks where fish can hide and corals can live.

This is my first reef tank, and it is a big project to start with! So if you have any ideas let me know, you are welcome I guess one of the hard things regarding aquascaping with the reef ceramic is to make it look like something and still make plenty of room for further development. There should be place for corals and it is not always easy to see how its gonna be...

Unread 06/17/2008, 03:49 PM   #10
Lomholt
Registered Member

I don't know what happened to the picture size, but I hope you like them anyway?

Unread 06/18/2008, 01:14 AM   #11
Lomholt
Registered Member

Here are some night photos from yesterday. I can almost see the fish swim around the caves

BTW: There are still no water in the tank! bum:

Does any of you suggestions regarding how much light the tank need?

Unread 06/18/2008, 01:14 AM   #12
Lomholt
Registered Member

Here are some night photos from yesterday. I can almost see the fish swim around the caves

BTW: There are still no water in the tank! bum:

Does any of you have suggestions regarding how much light the tank need?

Unread 06/18/2008, 04:38 AM   #13
kar93
Registered Member

Looks great, I love the ceramic rockwork.

kar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2008, 05:27 AM   #14
Ed Reef
Registered Member

Looking very NICE Lomholt - just make sure the Streams can be removed for easy cleaning. Other than that, look like a well thought out scape...

~ Art is an adventure into an unknown world, which can only be explored by those willing to take the risks. ~

Current Tank Info: Ed Reef’s Shallow Crest Inspired ART
Ed Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2008, 06:02 AM   #15
mr evolution
Premium Member

Your tank looks great and would love to know how the ceramic was made. Please keep us updated

at that height you might be able to get away with 250w HQI MH. On one of my tanks with a 24" height coral grows fine. But of course it depends on what your trying to grow.

I feel you tank would fit better overall look with LED lighting. It more of a modern looking tank. I realize its expensive, but you have to remember that its full spectrum of light is focus in one direction and unlike other lighting design it does not need to be reflected.

My 180 or 210 gal will utilize full LED lighting as well as my coral aquaculture tank.

Current Tank Info: 120G Reef build doing it the Herbie HOB
mr evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2008, 07:07 AM   #16
Lomholt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kar93
Looks great, I love the ceramic rockwork.
Thanks

Unread 06/18/2008, 07:18 AM   #17
Lomholt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Reef
Looking very NICE Lomholt - just make sure the Streams can be removed for easy cleaning. Other than that, look like a well thought out scape...
Thank you Ed Reef. We have made some holes inside the ceramic where the Tunze Streams electrical wires will be pulled, so it is invisible and at the same time possible to mailtain and clem them. The wire holes were made from the start and are burned too, så right now there is som small ropes like a dummy

To get the wire through the holes, I have to cut the Stream pump wires because the socket/engraving is to large to get in there. So I need to pull it through with the small ropes/lines and assemble the "broken" wire again. Hope it works!

I have some small ceramic pices which I can glue around the Streams. The installations will hopefully hide the circulation pumps very effective.

Unread 06/18/2008, 07:23 AM   #18
Ed Reef
Registered Member

Sound great.... never used Reef Ceramics before but will be interesting if it throws out PO4?? If yes, you might want to deal with it first or you will be having an algae outbreak later on....

Cheers...

~ Art is an adventure into an unknown world, which can only be explored by those willing to take the risks. ~

Unread 06/18/2008, 07:29 AM   #19
ricks
Registered Member

FIY...

On the Streams if you cut the wires you will void the warranty.. Check with Roger in the Tunze forum, he's a great help..

Happy Reefing

ricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2008, 07:30 AM   #20
Lomholt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr evolution
Your tank looks great and would love to know how the ceramic was made. Please keep us updated

at that height you might be able to get away with 250w HQI MH. On one of my tanks with a 24" height coral grows fine. But of course it depends on what your trying to grow.

I feel you tank would fit better overall look with LED lighting. It more of a modern looking tank. I realize its expensive, but you have to remember that its full spectrum of light is focus in one direction and unlike other lighting design it does not need to be reflected.

My 180 or 210 gal will utilize full LED lighting as well as my coral aquaculture tank.
For sure I will keep you updated, and thank you for the comments

I am glad that you mention that a 250 w HQI MH might work, becaus my present HQI MH is a 400 w. As you maby have noticed, the tank has no wave-breakers (is that the right term?).

LED could be very tempting but I really don't know that much about the technology - only that the heat moves away from the waterline and that is a VERY important. Heat problems is a serious problem where I live. What model / manufacture would fit my tank size?

You are welcome to send my some PM's with recommandations or reply here in the thread.

Unread 06/18/2008, 07:36 AM   #21
Ed Reef
Registered Member

I think it's important you determine what type of reef you want to achieve as that will make suggestions from fellow reefers much easier... there is so many options out there today from HM, T5 to LEDs....

I'm using LED for my current tank so click on my red house for more info, if you're interested

Unread 06/18/2008, 07:36 AM   #22
Lomholt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ricks
FIY...

On the Streams if you cut the wires you will void the warranty.. Check with Roger in the Tunze forum, he's a great help..

Happy Reefing
Great input, I am sure he knows a lot and I will contact Roger (if I can find him).

However a friend of mine have tried to cut the wire and says that is is a easy task to connect the to ends of wires afterwards.

Unread 06/18/2008, 08:02 AM   #23
mr evolution
Premium Member

Definitely decide what you would like to keep. If its fish only flourescent lighting is all that is needed and its even good enough for some corals. LEDs are pricey,but think the ability to customize Kelvin temps is very nice and ability to simulate the lunar cycle is a cool effect too.

Current Tank Info: 120G Reef build doing it the Herbie HOB
mr evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2008, 08:47 AM   #24
Lomholt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr evolution
Definitely decide what you would like to keep. If its fish only flourescent lighting is all that is needed and its even good enough for some corals. LEDs are pricey,but think the ability to customize Kelvin temps is very nice and ability to simulate the lunar cycle is a cool effect too.
You are right, one of the first thing would be to decide what to keep. My choice is a mix between diffent hard- and soft corals. I have not the huge coral experience.

Talking about LED's, if a LED lamp should replace my 400 watt HQI MH lamp, how many watt does the LED then consume? Just give a guess or two so I have an idea. For sure LED sounds cool with the simulation modes and functions

Unread 06/18/2008, 12:02 PM   #25
Lomholt
Registered Member

Water with 50 kg. live rocs to be placed in the sump.

My skimmer is on the top. It is a Bubble King 250 internal and it performes very well.

:P

Wet skimming.

I like the low noice from this skimmer / Red Dragon pump.