Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/21/2019, 06:49 PM   #1
JacobPF14
Registered Member

Clown fish tank size

Hello all, I am a new to the hobbie and I was wondering if a 10 gallon tank would work for 1-2 clownfish. I've been doing a lot of research and I have heard 20 gallon minimum but also 10 gallons would work fine. I just wanted to make sure before I go out and buy everything for the tank because I want to start the cycling process asap! Thanks everyone!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

JacobPF14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2019, 07:07 PM   #2
aadams22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobPF14 View Post
Hello all, I am a new to the hobbie and I was wondering if a 10 gallon tank would work for 1-2 clownfish. I've been doing a lot of research and I have heard 20 gallon minimum but also 10 gallons would work fine. I just wanted to make sure before I go out and buy everything for the tank because I want to start the cycling process asap! Thanks everyone!

I kept a pair in a ten gallon when I first started the hobby (fish only tank). They are in my 30 now with one other fish but honestly they rarely leave the right corner. A 20 gallon would be better imo but a ten would be fine for the first year if they're small

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

aadams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2019, 07:22 PM   #3
JacobPF14
Registered Member

I'll just do the fish a favor and do a 20 gallon, thanks for the reply!

Unread 07/22/2019, 02:14 AM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

20 gallon will be perfectly fine for clownfish (percula & ocellaris) but the other, larger anemonefish may need larger tanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 05:15 AM   #5
OrionN
Moved on

I agree with ThRoewer. As a Newbie, you probably mean Ocellaris or Percula when you said clownfish. They would be fine in a 10 or 20 gal. Some of the other species will out grow it quickly. Post a picture and we tell you for sure. Just get the Ocellaris (LFS often call them Percula) or a Percular pair (LFS often call them True Perc or True Percula). Some of the other clownfish can get large and can be aggressive with other fish.
Good luck and have a good time. Read, ask question.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 06:53 AM   #6
j.falk
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'll just do the fish a favor and do a 20 gallon, thanks for the reply!

Good choice. With the 20 gallon you'll have more stability, more room for the fish to grow and a greater margin for error should anything bad ever happen.

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 09:52 AM   #7
JacobPF14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I agree with ThRoewer. As a Newbie, you probably mean Ocellaris or Percula when you said clownfish. They would be fine in a 10 or 20 gal. Some of the other species will out grow it quickly. Post a picture and we tell you for sure. Just get the Ocellaris (LFS often call them Percula) or a Percular pair (LFS often call them True Perc or True Percula). Some of the other clownfish can get large and can be aggressive with other fish.
Good luck and have a good time. Read, ask question.
Thanks for the reply! Yes I did mean Ocellaris! I will be going to my local fish shop in a few weeks to see if they have some. Wish me luck!

Unread 07/22/2019, 01:26 PM   #8
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Yes I did mean Ocellaris! I will be going to my local fish shop in a few weeks to see if they have some. Wish me luck!

If you go for captive bred, make sure to look for Sea & Reef captive bred as they are far better (nearly deformity free) than what ORA offers on captive bred anemonefish.

If you are looking for percula, a local store here (which also ships) has 2 smaller Irian Jaya percula right now.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 01:33 PM   #9
JacobPF14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
If you go for captive bred, make sure to look for Sea & Reef captive bred as they are far better (nearly deformity free) than what ORA offers on captive bred anemonefish.

If you are looking for percula, a local store here (which also ships) has 2 smaller Irian Jaya percula right now.

Thanks for telling me! Unfortunately my tank hasn't had anytime to build up the beneficial bacteria that I need. I will make sure to look for Reef clowns! The picture I posted was just what I was looking for, I won't be buying any clowns online if I don't have to! I try to support my local fish shops

Unread 07/22/2019, 05:11 PM   #10
saphosbro
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for telling me! Unfortunately my tank hasn't had anytime to build up the beneficial bacteria that I need. I will make sure to look for Reef clowns! The picture I posted was just what I was looking for, I won't be buying any clowns online if I don't have to! I try to support my local fish shops

I agree with ThRoewer, make sure to look for "Sea and Reef" clowns. "Sea and Reef" is the name of the company who breads them. My clownfish herem tank is all sea and reef clowns and they are doing great 2 years in and while they dont sell directly to the public most stores care them. Also Sea and Reef has some of the best designer clowns IMO.

When I built out my herem tank they really worked with me through my LFS to get exactly what i wanted.

https://www.seaandreef.com/marine-or...ish/clownfish/

saphosbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 05:18 PM   #11
JacobPF14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphosbro View Post
I agree with ThRoewer, make sure to look for "Sea and Reef" clowns. "Sea and Reef" is the name of the company who breads them. My clownfish herem tank is all sea and reef clowns and they are doing great 2 years in and while they dont sell directly to the public most stores care them. Also Sea and Reef has some of the best designer clowns IMO.

When I built out my herem tank they really worked with me through my LFS to get exactly what i wanted.

https://www.seaandreef.com/marine-or...ish/clownfish/
I had no idea... Haha! I wasn't sure what was meant by Sea and Reef, I thought it was a way they were raised or something. Thanks for letting me know! They have some pretty fish, I didn't even know some of those clownfish existed!

Unread 07/22/2019, 05:57 PM   #12
top shelf
Registered Member

I just picked these 2 occy's up locally.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote