Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2019, 12:40 PM   #1
OrionN
Moved on

Magnifica Split

I went out of town yesterday AM before the light on and came back last night after the light out. This morning, when the light come on, instead of having one Purple Tip Magnifica, I have two fully formed. Sometime in the last 36 hrs my Mag started and completed the split. I did not even see it until it is done. Often, when this happened in the past, the Mag would looks poorly, partially deflated, then split. I did not see him yesterday and the split started and completed sometime in 36 hrs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magnifica2019072201PurpleTipSplitResized.jpg (101.6 KB, 465 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 01:34 PM   #2
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Interesting, I didn't know mag split. Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 03:10 PM   #3
top shelf
Registered Member

That's pretty cool and probably less stressful for you that it happened while you were gone.

I wonder if we see less mag splits because it's often more experienced reefers keeping them? Not to say as the inexperienced don't try but as sensitive as they are most don't make it long. Whereas bta are more forgiving and tolerate less then ideal. So while conditions allow survival they are not happy and it causes many splits. Just a thought anyways.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 05:04 PM   #4
saphosbro
Registered Member

very cool - has it split before? How long have you had it? As others started I did not know they split like BTA's.

saphosbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 06:12 PM   #5
OrionN
Moved on

I had this one for a few years. I think 3 years. It is not one of my oldest Magnifica so I don't keep track of his captive age. I have other Magnifica split before , but not him.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 07/22/2019, 07:01 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I went out of town yesterday AM before the light on and came back last night after the light out. This morning, when the light come on, instead of having one Purple Tip Magnifica, I have two fully formed. Sometime in the last 36 hrs my Mag started and completed the split. I did not even see it until it is done. Often, when this happened in the past, the Mag would looks poorly, partially deflated, then split. I did not see him yesterday and the split started and completed sometime in 36 hrs.

Nice!
Unfortunately my mag still hasn't attracted any Zooxanthellae and by now it seems to be in decline since it also isn't really eating.

BTW, is that a Black Photon clown in the gigantea?

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 09:46 PM   #7
illcssd
Registered Member

That's awesome, Minh. I always wanted to have one of my magnifica split.

60g Ecotech anemone cube;
illcssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2019, 01:48 PM   #8
NYCBOB
Registered Member

awesome.

NYCBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2019, 09:03 AM   #9
garygb
Registered Member

Very cool! I've had one mag since November, 2001. In all that time it has only divided twice. I have a purple base I've had for almost that long (I got it a couple of years after the first one), and it's only divided twice. So, it seems to be a rare occurence in captivity.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2019, 05:42 AM   #10
OrionN
Moved on

Thanks Everybody. Took him out. Chisel the rock with him on it and gave him to a really good friend. Hope he will live a long happy life there.