Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 11/15/2012, 01:35 PM   #1
bpcardona
Trying to hard
 
bpcardona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Alfred, Fl
Posts: 876
Wilted Pumping Xenia - Why? Dyeing?

I have several heads of Pumping Xenia around the tank, and as of two days ago a few of the heads are wilted. So what happen....

I had some vermetid snails within the colony, so I super glued the tube. I read that these can string the surrounding corals, and become a problem. Was I to late? Also water change was done on it regular one month cycle, last week. TDS on RO/DI = 0

Tank Parameters as of today:
salinity: 1.026
Ph: 8.05
Temp: 83 F
Mag: 1500
Ca: 600 +
KH: 7
GH: 127.3
Phosphate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20 old test kit

Pumping Xenia

Pumping Xenia



__________________
--Brian---
Tanks:
220G DT - 55G custom sump - 40G frag - 40G QT -
Livestock:
Clowns - Blonde Naso Tang - Blue Hippo Tang - Diamond Watchman Goby - Molly Miller -
bpcardona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Cablemike
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Whitby
Posts: 72
Is that red stuff beside Xenia cyanobacteria? Mine really doesn't like it and reacts the same way, if I blow the Cyrano off with a turkey baster it recovers after a few days. I've also had this happen from aptasia toucing them.


Cablemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Anthony Reefer
Registered Member
 
Anthony Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Roseburg, Oregon
Posts: 121
Xenia will do good in about 80% of tanks and will just die in the other 20% nobody really knows why.

Sorry...


__________________
Keep on Reef'in

Current Tank Info: I do not have a tank yet as they are very $$$ and I am only 16, But I have been able to afford a lot of information on them.
Anthony Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 06:14 PM   #4
jimmy n
Registered Member
 
jimmy n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,281
Be careful..... They are often the canary in a reef. I'd do a pretty big WC just in case.


jimmy n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 07:06 PM   #5
bpcardona
Trying to hard
 
bpcardona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Alfred, Fl
Posts: 876
Yes, that is Cyano. Not sure why this didn't cross my mind?!? They have been doing great in the tank, even dividing. I will dust them off and do a water change just for the sake of safety. Thanks everyone.


__________________
--Brian---
Tanks:
220G DT - 55G custom sump - 40G frag - 40G QT -
Livestock:
Clowns - Blonde Naso Tang - Blue Hippo Tang - Diamond Watchman Goby - Molly Miller -
bpcardona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 08:05 PM   #6
jhoff
Registered Member
 
jhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Edison New Jersey
Posts: 1,086
Back in the day b4 i went all SPS i started to add some iodine and my xenia grew like weeds.


jhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.