Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/18/2010, 05:08 PM   #1
samdaman
Registered Member

How long until a tank is fully established?

I have a 50 Gal Tank, I currently have 2 ocellaris in it. It's been running give or take two months. What recommended establishing period do you suggest, a couple more months, I want it to be ready obviously, but i am not going to risk a "delicate" fiishs life for my urge! Thanks

samdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2010, 05:14 PM   #2
chimmike
oxygen abuser

well, what are your tank parameters?
we can't tell you anything just based on time period. the fact that you already have two clownfish living in it means it's probably not tooo bad.

You definitely either need to take the water to get tested at your LFS, or purchase some test kits: ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphates.

chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2010, 05:14 PM   #3
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

established can mean diff. things to diff. people. some say 8-12 months is good and others say if you can keep all your parameters from jumping around and keep everything very stable then that is established. for me I go with both

shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2010, 05:19 PM   #4
samdaman
Registered Member

I mean established, not Cycled, Mine is already cycled. But you know how people say "don't add anemones until its established for more than 6 months" and stuff like that... I was just wondering which would be an appropriate amount.

Unread 07/18/2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Tuscaquatics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdaman View Post
I mean established, not Cycled, Mine is already cycled. But you know how people say "don't add anemones until its established for more than 6 months" and stuff like that... I was just wondering which would be an appropriate amount.
6 months. LOL. For an anemone or SPS, I'd say 6 months of consistent perfect water quality, at least. If you show that you can keep your parameters where they need to be without swings, then you can keep an anemone.

Tuscaquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 05:58 AM   #6
King_Richard
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscaquatics View Post
6 months. LOL. For an anemone or SPS, I'd say 6 months of consistent perfect water quality, at least. If you show that you can keep your parameters where they need to be without swings, then you can keep an anemone.
I agree with this. Especially if your just starting out in this hobby.

Just look at as a time to research them and find the one that you want to keep.

60g Cube>50g Sump\Cube
Algae Scrubber:) 6" DSB:) Live Rock:) Caulerpa :) and nothing else!
King_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 06:49 AM   #7
Palting
Registered Member

Quote:
NEVER. The tank parameters need to be stable, as should be the owner with regular routines, then maybe, just maybe, you can call it established. Who knows when that is going to be. And like a lot of old sayings, like "Don't add mandarin until the tank is established", sayings are just rule of thumb. I've had a mandarin as one of my first citizens, 2 weeks into the cycle in fact (ignorance is bliss ), and it's been 4 months and he is fat and happy.

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 07:46 AM   #8
Chris27
Registered Member

It really depends on how the tank was set up. If you set up the tank using well cured rock in the order of 1-2 lbs per gallon, real live sand, and some well populated macro algae, the tank is mature in a matter of days. If you used bagged sand and dry rock, the tank won't be mature for some time - possibly a year.

An established mature tank is a varied ecosystem that mimics the conditions found in nature, we can do it, quite easily in fact, but you need to do your homework.

Chris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 08:06 AM   #9
James605
Registered Member

i would say wait long as you can... Like others have said, just make sure are levels are constant.

James605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 10:03 AM   #10
zachfishman
Registered Member

When you first have to scrape coralline algae, you're ready for the initial, hardier corals.

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 11:30 AM   #11
outy
Moved On

i like Cris and Zachs statements lol there pretty close to realityl.

PATIENTs bud, your finished cycling and you brely have enough benifcial bacteria to keep your tank alive.

its takes time, allot of time. Biggets mistake new people make is rushing into things when there in your exact spot in the hobby.

for me ill say a year as well.

what you dont know is you have a diatom algea bloom headed your way plus a HA following that. your hands are about to be full. sit back and relax and gain knowledge at this point

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 06:31 PM   #12
samdaman
Registered Member

Yeah i know, i didn't plan to rush this. Im going to take my time. And i don't plan to get an anemone that was just an example haha. I did start out with LR and bagged sand. The only other things i do have in there are some zoas and 2 Kenya trees, those came with the LR.. Ill wait out a year before i add more stuff then. Thanks For all the advice. And Outy, i already have the diatom algae bloom xD

Unread 07/19/2010, 06:56 PM   #13
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachfishman View Post
When you first have to scrape coralline algae, you're ready for the initial, hardier corals.
Quoted for Truth! This is a great indicator you are ready for corals.

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 09:45 PM   #14
King_Richard
Registered Member

Once your diatom break out goes away and you start getting the coraline (zachfishman nailed it there) and you have a understanding of your water chemistry and if your kenya's and zoa's are still alive in 2-3 months from now you should be able to start adding more corals then. There are exceptions but that usually comes with experience, it's also partly knowing which corals are hardier and being able to id healthy ones.

It shouldn't take a year unless your after some really delicate corals.

60g Cube>50g Sump\Cube
Algae Scrubber:) 6" DSB:) Live Rock:) Caulerpa :) and nothing else!
King_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 12:21 AM   #15
ninjamini
Registered Member

Established is when you have several fish added over time and none dye.

Established is when your zoos and leathers grow too big and you have to give it away.

Established is when your LPS gets color that you post online and experienced people ooh over.

Established is when your SPS grows and opens to sway in the waves.

Dont skip any steps here and you will do fine.

ninjamini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 03:36 AM   #16
samdaman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamini View Post

Established is when your zoos and leathers grow too big and you have to give it away.

Established is when your LPS gets color that you post online and experienced people ooh over.

Sounds good, i will follow all your advice guys, thanks!

Unread 07/20/2010, 06:03 AM   #17
Palting
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamini View Post

Best one yet!

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 08:39 AM   #18
mthomp
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah i know, i didn't plan to rush this. Im going to take my time. And i don't plan to get an anemone that was just an example haha. I did start out with LR and bagged sand. The only other things i do have in there are some zoas and 2 Kenya trees, those came with the LR.. Ill wait out a year before i add more stuff then. Thanks For all the advice. And Outy, i already have the diatom algae bloom xD
you dont need to wait a yr, just do things as you feel comfortable.

you will know when you are ready for this or that. do not rush, do your research, and ask plenty of questions. Also find A LFS you trust, and even then do not trust everything they tell you.

mthomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 08:58 AM   #19
MCary
Premium Member

I've put anemones and sps in aquariums as little as 6 months and have great luck. I'm not sure what established means. Once the system has cycled the water should be okay. There are things like beneficial organisms and baterial colonization that developes better over time. I think the aquarist needs to be established. It takes a little time to learn and understand all you need to know. Your setup always need to be tweaked. You need to almost become a chemist.

MCary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
established, fowlr, new tanks, tanks