Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/18/2012, 08:07 PM   #2151
NMC
Registered Member

My tank is still cycling (at least that's what I hope it's doing), and I've nailed down my stocking list pretty much. I have a question about what order to add them. Specifically, I want a purple firefish and a jawfish. When I read about the firesfish it says, "add them first." When I read about the jawfish it says, "add them first." I'll only be adding one at a time. Does it matter which one I add first? I know they are both timid and need to establish themselves before adding other fish, just don't know which is more so. I suppose I could add both at the same time, but my tank is brand new and I wanted to go very slowly.

Current Tank Info: 28g Nano Cube LED, AquaMaxx HOB 1, In Tank Media Basket, MP10, stock pumps, Apex Lite
Unread 04/18/2012, 11:47 PM   #2152
Beefy_Reefy
Registered Member

Snorvich this look peaceful enough?

150g tank- 2 black ocelleris, 3 zebra dartfish, 2 firefish, 3 bartlett anthias, 1 randall goby, 3 blue/green chromis.

Any changes or additions you would make?
Thanks

Unread 04/19/2012, 12:23 AM   #2153
greenskull
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Your stocking list looks fine but I doubt you can mix in another Halichoeres wrasse
Thanks Steve!
You mentioned the Banded Coral shrimp might be a mistake, so I'll scratch that one. In it's place, would a Tail Spot Blenny fit in without a risk of being bullied or crowding tank? Might add variety and help with hair algae I'm thinking.
I don't really want to stock snails due to the Yellow Wrasse possibly eating them.... what do you think?

Unread 04/19/2012, 05:33 AM   #2154
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken55 View Post
Hello,

I currently have a Coral Beauty in a 55g. I was thinking about a Flame Angel. I have seen tanks with this combo from folks in the local club but their tanks were way bigger than mine. LA states dwarf angels together "With Caution".

Do you think this is a workable combo or should I avoid adding the second dwarf angel?

Thanks,
Ken
The issue is perceived territorial niche. Since both are algae eaters, if the fish perceive their territory is sufficient for them, there may be minor occasional chasing but it will work. You are on the borderline for tank size, I would prefer somewhat more.

Dwarf angels are NOT reef safe. Some, depending on the individual fish may be ok, others not.

Unread 04/19/2012, 05:36 AM   #2155
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC View Post
My tank is still cycling (at least that's what I hope it's doing), and I've nailed down my stocking list pretty much. I have a question about what order to add them. Specifically, I want a purple firefish and a jawfish. When I read about the firesfish it says, "add them first." When I read about the jawfish it says, "add them first." I'll only be adding one at a time. Does it matter which one I add first? I know they are both timid and need to establish themselves before adding other fish, just don't know which is more so. I suppose I could add both at the same time, but my tank is brand new and I wanted to go very slowly.
First of all, be patient. Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby. I would add the firefish first and let it get established. Then the jawfish. But remember that both are exceptionally talented jumpers and egg crate will not keep them in.

Unread 04/19/2012, 05:39 AM   #2156
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy_Reefy View Post
Snorvich this look peaceful enough?

150g tank- 2 black ocelleris, 3 zebra dartfish, 2 firefish, 3 bartlett anthias, 1 randall goby, 3 blue/green chromis.

Any changes or additions you would make?
Thanks
I would not mix the anthias and chromis. Rather, I would increase the number of anthias (chromis will widdle down to just one usually). Also, you might consider carberryi or resplendant anthias rather than bartlett.

Unread 04/19/2012, 05:40 AM   #2157
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskull View Post
Thanks Steve!
You mentioned the Banded Coral shrimp might be a mistake, so I'll scratch that one. In it's place, would a Tail Spot Blenny fit in without a risk of being bullied or crowding tank? Might add variety and help with hair algae I'm thinking.
I don't really want to stock snails due to the Yellow Wrasse possibly eating them.... what do you think?
Good choice on the CBS, the blenny should be fine, but add it towards the end so the tank is more mature.

Unread 04/19/2012, 07:34 AM   #2158
Mastermind
Registered Member

Hi, it's been suggested to me that I check this out here --

I've got a new (running 2 months) BioCube 29 gallon tank. Current stocking are 3 Blue/Green Chromis, an Orange Striped Goby, and a couple of bumble bee snails. I'm wondering if my current inhabitants need to be fed daily, as I'm trying to get an algae problem under control. If daily feedings are not required, how far out can I stretch them? Not sure if current size of the fish matter, but the Chromis are ~1.5", the Goby is very small -- probably a bit less than 1.5". Second question, when I get the algae under control, I would like to add a pair of clowns. Would two clowns on top of my current stock be too much? Would maroon clowns be a bad idea for a tank this size?

Thanks in advance!

Unread 04/19/2012, 07:40 AM   #2159
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind View Post
Hi, it's been suggested to me that I check this out here --

I've got a new (running 2 months) BioCube 29 gallon tank. Current stocking are 3 Blue/Green Chromis, an Orange Striped Goby, and a couple of bumble bee snails. I'm wondering if my current inhabitants need to be fed daily, as I'm trying to get an algae problem under control. If daily feedings are not required, how far out can I stretch them? Not sure if current size of the fish matter, but the Chromis are ~1.5", the Goby is very small -- probably a bit less than 1.5". Second question, when I get the algae under control, I would like to add a pair of clowns. Would two clowns on top of my current stock be too much? Would maroon clowns be a bad idea for a tank this size?

Not feeding the chromis will hasten the day that you end up with only one. Maroon Clowns, once sexually mature will want to totally control 50 gallons of water space which makes additional fish unlikely.

Thanks in advance!

Unread 04/19/2012, 10:33 AM   #2160
faisal629
Coolest Member

this list is for a (near) future FOWLR...
1 hoppo tang
1 yellow tang
1 harlequin tusk
1 bicolor goat fish
1 coral beauty
1 flame angle
1 black knox angle-(optional)
4-5 mono sabae
1 sea betta
1 banana wrass-(optional)
1 porcupine puffer
its for a 180 gallon fowlr w/200+ lbs of LR a 55-75 sump with 20-30 refugium.
sounds like a lot of fish but i can cut down to..
3 mono sabae if that makes it better.
down the road i would like to add a magnificent foxface, possible?

60G DT (google Faisal's 60 cube)
40B FT (google Faisal's 40B frag tank)

Last edited by faisal629; 04/19/2012 at 10:43 AM.
Unread 04/19/2012, 04:41 PM   #2161
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal629 View Post
this list is for a (near) future FOWLR...
1 hoppo tang really needs a larger tank, these fish reach one foot in length
1 yellow tang
1 harlequin tusk
1 bicolor goat fish A very large fish for a six foot tank
1 coral beauty
1 flame angle
1 black knox angle-(optional)
4-5 mono sabae this is a brackish water fish
1 sea betta a largish fish
1 banana wrass-(optional)
1 porcupine puffer a high bioload fish
its for a 180 gallon fowlr w/200+ lbs of LR a 55-75 sump with 20-30 refugium.
sounds like a lot of fish but i can cut down to..
3 mono sabae if that makes it better.
down the road i would like to add a magnificent foxface, possible?
That is a lot of largish fish for a moderately sized (six foot) tank. I feel it will be overstocked and have too many algae grazers.

Unread 04/19/2012, 05:23 PM   #2162
faisal629
Coolest Member

Quote:
That is a lot of largish fish for a moderately sized (six foot) tank. I feel it will be overstocked and have too many algae grazers.
will this be a better choice?
1 Pakistan Butterflyfish
1 yellow tang
1 harlequin tusk
1 coral beauty
1 flame angle
3 mono sabae - will live in in higher salinity.
1 sea betta
1 magnificent foxface
1 banana wrass(LAST)

60G DT (google Faisal's 60 cube)
40B FT (google Faisal's 40B frag tank)
Unread 04/19/2012, 05:57 PM   #2163
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal629 View Post
will this be a better choice?
1 Pakistan Butterflyfish
1 yellow tang
1 harlequin tusk
1 coral beauty
1 flame angle
3 mono sabae - will live in in higher salinity.
1 sea betta
1 magnificent foxface
1 banana wrass(LAST)
Yes, considerably better. Be sure to add the grazers after the tank is mature so there will be sufficient algae.

Unread 04/19/2012, 07:50 PM   #2164
cat_fish_lady
Registered Member

Looking for feedback on my intended stocking for the following tank:

120g (48x24x24) reef with 50g sump, about 100 lbs live rock, 80 lbs live sand.
Currently have:
-2 amphiprion ocellaris
-dascyllus trimaculatus (used to cycle)
-dascyllus melanurus (used to cycle)
-canthigaster valentini
-juvie rhinecanthus verrucosus

Want to add:
-chaetodon ephippium
-acanthurus nigricans
-centropyge flavissima

I'm open to removing the fish I used to cycle if I need to in order to add others. Thanks

Unread 04/19/2012, 08:40 PM   #2165
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_fish_lady View Post
Looking for feedback on my intended stocking for the following tank:

120g (48x24x24) reef with 50g sump, about 100 lbs live rock, 80 lbs live sand.
Currently have:
-2 amphiprion ocellaris
-dascyllus trimaculatus (used to cycle)
-dascyllus melanurus (used to cycle)
-canthigaster valentini semi aggressive and not reef safe
-juvie rhinecanthus verrucosus aggressive and not reef safe

Want to add:
-chaetodon ephippium excellent fish, but not reef safe
-acanthurus nigricans
-centropyge flavissima not reef safe

I'm open to removing the fish I used to cycle if I need to in order to add others. Thanks
It is not good practice to cycle a tank with live fish, especially since there are better as well as more humane ways to do so.

Unread 04/19/2012, 10:20 PM   #2166
ajramon1
Registered Member

Not sure if these fish are ok for tank size, or if they are all compatible...

It's my first salt water tank, so please be very frank with me. I wanted to buy the Oceanics Biocube 29 gallon tank, add about 1" of live sand, and some live rock. A false percula clownfish, a mandarinfish dragonet, a domino damselfish, a cleaner shrimp, and either a flame angelfish or a Koran angelfish are what I'd like to add to the tank.. I have no clue if i can keep these in a 29 gallon tank as I know this is a very small size vs. some of the other sizes available. The reason I am opting for the Biocube tank is because it already has a built in filtration system and I feel I could maintain it without investing in a sump or a reverse osmosis system. Once again let me stress that I am a TOTAL beginner in regards to marine aquariums.. Please be brutal if I seem that I'm reaching too high or won't be able to keep an aquarium like this.. Thank you

Unread 04/20/2012, 04:51 AM   #2167
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajramon1 View Post
It's my first salt water tank, so please be very frank with me. I wanted to buy the Oceanics Biocube 29 gallon tank, add about 1" of live sand, and some live rock. A false percula clownfish, a mandarinfish dragonet, a domino damselfish, a cleaner shrimp, and either a flame angelfish or a Koran angelfish are what I'd like to add to the tank..

I am always kind but always frank. While a 29 gallon is a small tank, there are many fish you could keep. Large angels, such as a Koran will get WAY too large and have too many requirements. You could, however, keep a flame angelfish. A mandarin dragonet has special needs and as a beginner in a small tank, you are not going to be able to maintain this fish. Cleaner shrimp(s), no problem. Amphiprion ocellaris (false percula) or amphiprion percula (true percula) will work. But, do not think that buying this setup and putting stuff in it is not going to require attention and work.

I have no clue if i can keep these in a 29 gallon tank as I know this is a very small size vs. some of the other sizes available. The reason I am opting for the Biocube tank is because it already has a built in filtration system and I feel I could maintain it without investing in a sump or a reverse osmosis system. Once again let me stress that I am a TOTAL beginner in regards to marine aquariums.. Please be brutal if I seem that I'm reaching too high or won't be able to keep an aquarium like this.. Thank you

Unread 04/20/2012, 08:18 AM   #2168
ajramon1
Registered Member

Thank you very much, Steve. This helps clear up alot of things for me!

Unread 04/20/2012, 08:51 AM   #2169
jws0318
Registered Member

Hi Steve,

Tank is 60g reef with sump, 45lbs live rock with lots of caves/hiding places and 2-3" sandbed. I am considering adding a Royal Gramma, but according to LiveAquaria, they "demonstrates territorial aggression towards its own kind". Does its own kind refer to other Royal Grammas, or other Basslets? More specifically, I have a yellow Assessor - would a Royal Gramma be able to co-exist with my assessor? My "Plan B" would be a Chalk Bass instead of the Royal Gramma - is that a better choice?

As always, thanks for taking the time to help!

Unread 04/20/2012, 09:44 AM   #2170
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jws0318 View Post
Hi Steve,

Tank is 60g reef with sump, 45lbs live rock with lots of caves/hiding places and 2-3" sandbed. I am considering adding a Royal Gramma, but according to LiveAquaria, they "demonstrates territorial aggression towards its own kind". Does its own kind refer to other Royal Grammas, or other Basslets? More specifically, I have a yellow Assessor - would a Royal Gramma be able to co-exist with my assessor? My "Plan B" would be a Chalk Bass instead of the Royal Gramma - is that a better choice?

As always, thanks for taking the time to help!
"Plan A" is more likely as both a gramma loretto and yellow assessor tend to be peaceful whereas a chalk bass can be a bit more aggressive. The larger the tank, the greater the probability of success, and it would be best if introduced concurrently. Once any fish is "established" it tends to want to protect whatever territory it "owns".

Unread 04/20/2012, 09:45 AM   #2171
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajramon1 View Post
Thank you very much, Steve. This helps clear up alot of things for me!
Once you have researched more, feel free to stop back for a "reassessment".

Unread 04/20/2012, 12:12 PM   #2172
jws0318
Registered Member

Quote:
"Plan A" is more likely as both a gramma loretto and yellow assessor tend to be peaceful whereas a chalk bass can be a bit more aggressive. The larger the tank, the greater the probability of success, and it would be best if introduced concurrently. Once any fish is "established" it tends to want to protect whatever territory it "owns".
Sorry - 1 more idea (Plan C!)

I see a lot of comments in threads saying the Orchid Dottyback is suitable for peaceful tanks, particularly if it is a tankbred vs wild specimen - what are your thoughts on this?

Unread 04/20/2012, 12:39 PM   #2173
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jws0318 View Post
Sorry - 1 more idea (Plan C!)

I see a lot of comments in threads saying the Orchid Dottyback is suitable for peaceful tanks, particularly if it is a tankbred vs wild specimen - what are your thoughts on this?
P. fridmani is not a peaceful fish. It is less aggressive than some of the extremely aggressive pseudochromis however.

Unread 04/20/2012, 12:59 PM   #2174
Zoomadness
Registered Member

I have a 55 gallon mixed reef that is just under 1 year old. Currently I have the following in the tank:
1 Yellow tang
1 B/W Clown
1 False Perc. Clown
1 Rainbow bubble tip nem.
1 Fire shrimp
2 nassarius snails
4 turbo snails

I was thinking about adding a bartlett anthias to add some more movement to the tank. I have about 100 pounds of live rock and lots of corals. This seemed like an attractive species that would be reef safe. The clown fish hang out in the nem or my hammer coral all the time and don't really do a lot of swimming. The tang will come out and graze as the day goes along. Do you see any issues with this? I run T-5 lights, Metal Halide lights and LED moonlights, I have a 30 gallon fuge with lots of chaeto and a ASM G2 skimmer with an ATO top off. Thanks in advance!

Current Tank Info: 55 gal mixed reef ,just getting started. I have 2 clown fish, 1 yellow tang, 1 red bubble tip anemone, 6 zooanth colonies, 2 montipora colony, 2 trumpet corals, 4 leather corals, some mushroom coral, 1 fire shrimp and some turbo snails. I run MH& T5
Unread 04/20/2012, 01:24 PM   #2175
Charlessyverson
Registered Member

Wrasse choice

I have a 65 gallon red sea max and am looking at adding a wrasse for one last fish. I currently have:
Flame angel
Dwarf golden moray
2 black clowns
Lawnmower blenny
Royal gamma

I would like a wrasse that fits with this group and preferably not orange or red.

Thanks!

Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish compatibility