Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2013, 09:01 PM   #1
ati70cutlass
Registered Member

massive fish loss

Over the past week I have lost 5 new fish and 2 that have been in my est. system for over a year. I have a 125g system with a 24w UV. I know better than to just dump fish in but that is what I did. so im sure im gonna get a lot of you should know better. but would the uv be enough to kick some of the diseases? most have all went down to ich. so bad it looks like they were rolled in salt. so is a qt in order for best results

ati70cutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2013, 10:09 PM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ati70cutlass View Post
Over the past week I have lost 5 new fish and 2 that have been in my est. system for over a year. I have a 125g system with a 24w UV. I know better than to just dump fish in but that is what I did. so im sure im gonna get a lot of you should know better. but would the uv be enough to kick some of the diseases? most have all went down to ich. so bad it looks like they were rolled in salt. so is a qt in order for best results
Are you sure it's Ich? Sudden wipe-outs are usually more common with Velvet. In any case, I'm assuming you are trying to save the fish you have left. A UV can reduce the overall number of parasites; and that may buy you time and/or help you manage Ich. But you'll never completely eradicate the problem unless you treat all your fish in a QT and go fallow for 10+ weeks.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 03:15 AM   #3
moatdaddy
Registered Member

so velvet which i thought was ich destroyed my tank in a matter of 5 days. i went fallow for 6 weeks, added 3 healthy tangs and a wrasse last week and they are doing great now. It said the life cycle of the velvet is different than ich, 5 weeks is normal for the tank to be clean 99% success if you wait 8 weeks. Cut and pasted the right up because it would be a link to another fish forums.

There is no such thing as a dormant stage for MV. The parasite can�t wait around for another host. It MUST go through its cycle, or die. It doesn't 'wait' for better times. It was recorded that a cyst can exist for up to 5 weeks before releasing its free-swimming dinospores. This is rare but possible.

Like MI, the display aquarium, if infected has to be treated. Let aquarium go fishless (without any water additions, contamination from infected tanks, live rock additions, etc.) for at least 8 weeks and the tank will be free of MV. This 'fallow period' has over a 99.99% chance of success.

moatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 11:55 AM   #4
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ati70cutlass View Post
UV is effective against pathogenic bacteria by vastly reducing the waterborne concentration, but UV is useless against ich.

Against ich, the only sure way is eradication.

Have ALL your fish died? If so, you are just lamenting and are not facing any calamity anymore (a mental thing.)

Otherwise, the biggest question now is whether you can and want to use some of the medium of filtration in DT to support the survivors while you treat against ich.

If all you fish have died, you should take some time to prepare to eradicate ich, both in terms of understanding ich and accepting the need to eradicate it (not immunity or diet) and then the skills needed.

I think only when committment is formed will skills follow.

wooden_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 02:47 PM   #5
DrPat
Registered Member

Uv WILL ONLY KILL FREE SWIMMING STAGE OF ICK IF and this is a big if !
IF The water flowing thru the uv filter is moving slow enough for the uv light to act and that there is enough uv energy in the bulb and the sleeve is clean.So although uv can kill ,everything must be correct . Furthermore at best it will only kill some but not all the free swimming parasites.
Did you qt the fish ? if so for how long. If any are alive move them to a qt and treat with copper power and raise the temps to 85F . Put the fish in hypo salinity THIS WILL HELP ONLY IF IT IS ICK OR OODINIUM .iF its Brooklynella its already to late.RAPID OUTBREAKS USUALLY HAVE HIGH MORTALITY.

Current Tank Info: 480 gallon system 180 display tank recently reset,plumbed to a 110 fuge and another 110 display 2 30 gallon resorvoirs and sump. reseach room presenlty with 6 20 gal 6 29 gal 1 50 gal, tank and growing , culturing micro algae,copepods,rotifers
DrPat is offline   Reply With Quote