Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2017, 06:03 PM   #51
RedStangGA
Registered Member

If it's not one thing it's another right? Home theater is completed so huge house improvement project is done. Then, the son goes off and advances to his group's national robotics competition in Sacramento. So tank money is flowing to that. I did buy the 2x4's to build a stand for the fuge in the garage. Gotta recover from a hernia surgery before tackling that but should be cleared next week.

So, maybe, just maybe, I can have the fuge stand built and majority of plumbing done by the end of next month!

Unread 05/31/2017, 11:03 AM   #52
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Okay, so I'm giving Ivan's terribly slow build a run for its money .

I was able to pick up some of the plumbing pieces and get started on it. Down pipes from the overflow are dry fitted as well as the flex pvc down to the sump. I'm hoping some time spent with a hair dryer will make it a little more malleable and allow me to get it just how I want it.

Proof that I've accomplished even something insignificant lol! I'll be painting the pipe hangers before everything gets glued

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 06/01/2017, 07:10 PM   #53
IvanTheTerrible
Fish Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStangGA View Post
Okay, so I'm giving Ivan's terribly slow build a run for its money .

I was able to pick up some of the plumbing pieces and get started on it. Down pipes from the overflow are dry fitted as well as the flex pvc down to the sump. I'm hoping some time spent with a hair dryer will make it a little more malleable and allow me to get it just how I want it.

Proof that I've accomplished even something insignificant lol! I'll be painting the pipe hangers before everything gets glued

Slow progress is better than no progress. Keep at it. We'll get there eventually.

- Ivan

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking....
IvanTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2017, 05:31 AM   #54
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanTheTerrible View Post
Slow progress is better than no progress. Keep at it. We'll get there eventually.

- Ivan
That is the truth! Patience is a virtue, or so I've heard. Thankfully most of our truly expensive home improvement projects are done. Good times are always ahead!

Unread 06/05/2017, 04:27 PM   #55
RedStangGA
Registered Member

More progress. Drains are all dry fitted.

Primary and backup are run into the sump drain section. Really wanted to use flex pvc for the primary but the turns were too tight.

Closet to camera is primary drain, middle is emergency and goes to skimmer section, furthest is the backup/trickle. Need a tee in the overflow for it and it's done.

Next up is to get plumbing for the garage based fuge done though it's not especially critical right now.

How many people leave access space behind the tank? I'm planning on leaving the tank 16" off the wall so I can easily get behind it for any maintenance.

Unread 06/23/2017, 09:13 AM   #56
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Progress!

The plumbing from the overflow to thank has been primed and glued into place. Same with the drains from the fuge, through the wall, and to the sump. All that's left is to finalize the returns and supply to the fuge. I'm supposed to get a delivery from BRS today that should allow me to finish that up.

Also coming today is 160lbs of sand courtesy of Drs Foster & Smith. Sand is Carib Sea Seafloor Special Grade. I use it in my 60 cube and am very happy with it. The trick will be keeping it hidden from the in-laws who are supposedly giving me $ for it for my b-day next month lol! The life of a reefer. At least my wife is in on it, can't hide anything from her anyway!

Hope is to get the plumbing done in the next week or three, then get the sand in, water, and a little rock from my 60 and start it cycling. While it's cycling I'll order additional rock to start filling it out. Plan for the fuge is to order "the package" from TBS. Potentially I'll move some of that rock from the fuge to the DT.

Slowly but surely!

Unread 06/25/2017, 08:01 PM   #57
reefzone123
Registered Member

overflow looks great. love the customness.

reefzone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 08:16 PM   #58
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Thanks!

Unread 07/19/2017, 09:54 AM   #59
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Only plumbing left to do is the returns from the sump to the DT and remote fuge. Also have 50lbs of Pukani on the way. If I like it then I'll order more.

Unread 07/19/2017, 08:39 PM   #60
maddmaxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStangGA View Post
Only plumbing left to do is the returns from the sump to the DT and remote fuge. Also have 50lbs of Pukani on the way. If I like it then I'll order more.

make sure you check out the pukani sticker on curing this rock. decent amount of work but need cause what it leaches out. just food for thought if this is your 1st time using this type of rock in your aquarium.

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 10:27 AM   #61
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
make sure you check out the pukani sticker on curing this rock. decent amount of work but need cause what it leaches out. just food for thought if this is your 1st time using this type of rock in your aquarium.
Thanks for the warning, I am aware that this rock needs some up front work to get it clean. I honestly haven't decided if I'll go the traditional curing process of heater and water changes, the shorter but riskier route of an acid wash, or try bleaching it first and then curing it for a bit. I have until tomorrow to decide lol! I have muriatic acid already as I use it to clean some pool equipment.

Unread 07/20/2017, 07:51 PM   #62
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Last bit of plumbing is in place and glued. Was also able to rinse 120 of the 160lbs of sand and get that into the tank.

Pukani is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I'll start cleaning/prepping it for the DT.

Unread 07/21/2017, 05:10 PM   #63
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Pukani from BRS came in today. 2 very large pieces, one small, and a bunch of rubble. Box was beat to hades so I'll give BRS a pass on this one lol! Currently bleaching the rock in an attempt to dissolve surface organics. Then it'll get multiple rinses and/or a pressure wash before getting a muriatic acid bath. This pukani is not a hole'y as a lot of what I've seen and seems to have a fair amount of what looks like sludge caked onto it making it very much like concrete. We'll see what it looks like after the bleach bath but I'm thinking the acid bath is a must.

All of the sand has been rinsed and dumped into the tank. Not thrilled about putting the sand in the tank before the rock but I have an idea for that anyway.

Thrilled to be getting so close to getting this thing up and running. I bought the tank, stand, and canopy in November of 2015. Stored the tank as we knew we were moving the following summer, moved it, and have had it sitting in my office since cleaning and drilling it. I never thought it would take this long but with a new house come new home improvement projects that definitely took priority.

Still needed(Not necessarily in order):
More rock
Backup return pump, or primary if I find something I like more than the Sicce Syncra 5
Another Kessil AP700
Another Apex EB8(Pretty sure, I haven't mapped the outlets yet)
An order from TBS for the fuge
Power heads for the DT

Unread 07/23/2017, 12:37 PM   #64
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Rock was rinsed and soaked in bleach Friday afternoon until this morning. It was then rinsed again after the bleach bath and put into a muriatic acid bath for about 2 hours. I checked progress by pulling out a smaller rock that I placed on top for that purpose. Rock looks fairly clean so it's now receiving its first freshwater soak to hopefully remove any of the chlorine smell that's left. Tomorrow it'll be placed into another RODI bath where I'll begin checking for phosphate. As long as the numbers are low it'll then be put into the tank.

Also starting the process of making the salt water for the tank. My unit is only rated for 75gpd so it'll take a while!

Unread 07/25/2017, 09:01 AM   #65
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Tank is slowly filling up.

I am going to have to move my remote fuge up a couple of inches. Just not enough flow from it to the sump. Draining it now, and will use that water to fill the DT. Then I'll slide a couple of 2x4's under the legs to give it the increased height.

Once I get the return going, temp up, and salinity dialed in I'll move over some seed rocks from the cube to get the cycle going.

Unread 07/25/2017, 11:54 AM   #66
RedStangGA
Registered Member

My first real issue, yay.

The primary drain is leaking at the gate valve. Of course. So, another is on it's next day air way from BRS. On top of that, as I was searching for said valve, the sump overflowed because I hadn't arranged for a siphon break yet. Double-yay. Thankfully this is why I got tile floors in this room. The bulk is cleaned up at least and fairly easily. It'll suck to redo the piping but not a horrible setback in the grand scheme of things.

Unread 07/26/2017, 03:51 AM   #67
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Well, the slight leak was "fixed" by just shuffling the sump over two inches. This way the leak drips into the sump and allowed me to save a ton by cancelling the order for the new valve and I can just place a regular order. I can truly fix it at my leisure though before I move any livestock over.

Next up is tuning the overflow. Right now it's loud so I need to raise the level up some. Then I need to adjust the location of the return as it's louder than acceptable though if I move it around it stays sort of quiet but the pressure of the silicone hose always pushes it up close to or against the glass.

I'll move some seed rock and a bag of matrix over from my 60 cube today. A nice bonus is I remembered yesterday that all of my rock was fallow for nearly 6 months after we sold our old house and before we moved into the new. The fish went into a coral only tank at a friends house that had also been fallow. So, once the new tank is cycled and I'm comfortable that it's safe, I can just move the fish and the rest of the rock over.

Unread 07/28/2017, 07:54 AM   #68
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Seed rock was moved over as was the bag of matrix.

Found another leak at the back of the sump where the primary drain from the remote fuge comes in. Thankfully that seems to have been fixed now too. I've plumbed many things, including our old house basement, and never had a single leak. Maybe I was due.

In any case, tank is cycling but now with the sump thrown into the mix. Overflow is still loud as I haven't had the time to tune it.

I was able to build my filter sock holder. First attempt was on very thin acrylic and while the first hole drilled just fine the second cracked and shattered the panel. Went to Lowes and and had them cut an 18x24 piece into 2 panels of the size I needed and kept the scraps. One scrap looks destined to be the rear overflow box cover. I drilled the first panel this morning without issue. Well, the garage smells like burnt plastic but the panel came out great. Filter socks fit perfectly, and the panel fits into the section I created in my sump nearly perfectly. I won't need to silicone it in as plenty of flow goes through the socks.

Next up is getting the salinity of the remote fuge up and then getting it on line but I think that will hit until after I get back from a work related travel next week. Once the fuge is online and I test power outage results with it running I'll run the electrical for the fuge light and get it in place.

I need to check with TBS and make sure they're open/available on Aug 19 or 26 for me to go down and pick out some additional Pukani. That will be the last of the rock until I transfer over the rest of me ceramico rock from the 60 cube.

Unread 10/11/2017, 07:27 AM   #69
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Been a while since my last update. Tank is fully cycled, fuge is online. I even have an additional load of rock in the tank and rubble in the fuge. It's only about 100lbs of Pukani but I can't imagine putting much more in it. I'll probably order some branch rock to add a little depth to it but that's it.

Sump is more than large enough to handle the drain from the tank and fuge. Enough that I think I'll build a higher stand for the fuge. That will allow me to divert more flow to it.

Purchased a chiller just in case. Irma knocked out our power for 5 days and while temps never got above 82.5 I'd rather be safe than sorry. It'll live in the garage next to the fuge.

All three of the fish from my cube, 2 ocellaris clowns and an orange back fairy wrasse, are on the tail of of a TTM move. Those three fish were purchased before I knew/realized the importance of QT. A FW dip confirmed no flukes and I don't believe that they, and all of their fishy friend over the years, would have velvet and it not show itself by now. TTM was done purely to eradicate any chance of ich. The fallow period for the new DT, due to moving over seed rock from the 60 cube, was over yesterday. Fish will go into the DT Saturday. I'm slowly raising the DT salinity to match QT.

Once that is done it's a holding pattern until Black Friday. Hoping to get some deals on power heads, a return, and maybe even some fish. The second AP700 will come next, followed by a new Apex and the Trident they just announced. Oh, I'll need a new regulator for my calcium reactor too.

Feels good to be so close. I've had the tank for about 2 years now. Stored it for the first year as we knew we were moving and then slowly getting it ready. Once the 60 cube has been fallow for 76 days I'll move the rest of the rock over, break it down, clean it, and set it back up as a long term QT observation. I'll use it for fish and coral QT but not at the same time. That should help slow down purchases lol!

Unread 10/16/2017, 07:56 AM   #70
RedStangGA
Registered Member

And, the fish are in! They've been happily exploring their new surroundings. Especially the wrasse. He swims in and out of all of the caves throughout the day. The clowns are still searching for "their" spot to hang out. I might even pick up an anemone for them soon and see if they like it.

Found a used AP700 at a good price so it should be here Tuesday. I already have the wood light rack in place and hardware to mount them.Tempted to pick up a powerhead before black Friday as there is not nearly enough flow in the tank right now but I'm not certain that it's necessary. If I need to, I will.

Just happy to finally have fish in it. Been a long time coming.

Unread 10/17/2017, 01:10 PM   #71
HiImSean
Registered Member

Hey Jason, how are things south of the border lol. Glad things are going well with the new build.

HiImSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 01:17 PM   #72
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiImSean View Post
Hey Jason, how are things south of the border lol. Glad things are going well with the new build.
Hey Sean! Things are going well. Tank is finally getting some life. Just hooked up the 2nd AP700 about an hour ago and am a happy camper. Patiently waiting for BF deals. Hoping everything I want is on sale but realize most of it won't be lol!

How are things with you? How are the dogs?

Unread 10/17/2017, 02:01 PM   #73
HiImSean
Registered Member

Things are going here. My tank have been neglected I'm afraid to admit but plan on doing some work this weekend on it. Unfortunately our dog passed away about a year ago.

HiImSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 02:13 PM   #74
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiImSean View Post
Things are going here. My tank have been neglected I'm afraid to admit but plan on doing some work this weekend on it. Unfortunately our dog passed away about a year ago.
Sorry to hear that, we lost two of ours shortly after the move down.

On the tanks, the nice thing is they tend to be resilient and can take a little neglect.

Unread 10/17/2017, 07:31 PM   #75
IvanTheTerrible
Fish Nerd

Glad to see your tank is coming along.

- Ivan

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking....
IvanTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote