Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2017, 02:21 PM   #26
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
yes its entirely possible..

I'll admit I'm not sure what an acceptable temp rise is at the blade/receptacle contacts and I'm a bit too busy to check...I do lots of electrical/thermal testing but not on residential devices... However if its burning to your skin I know its too hot as safety requirements wouldn't allow that without a burn warning/symbol..

A simple test would be to plug in a hair dryer to another outlet and let it run for 10 minutes then check its terminal temps (soon after being unplugged )..

You can try that in another outlet.. Then this outlet and compare.. If the blades are too hot in this outlet then that outlet is faulty/corroded or the wires are loose on the outlet itself.
Burn, I don't know if it really burned, but the spot on my thumb, though not red is still sore.
I'll ive the hair dryer test a try and report. back. As of right now I have switched to all t5 - 2 more ballasts and 4 more lights - and drawing 6.1 amps

Heading upstairs to turn on the hair dryer.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 03:00 PM   #27
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Isn't the gauge stamped on the EB8 cord? It's 15 amp rated which typically means 14 gauge. I had a plug break on one of mine and I replaced it with a 15 amp capacity Wattgate plug that I bought at Parts Express (same plugs I use in my audio amplifiers). I also plug them directly into a 20 amp outlet. No splitters.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 03:21 PM   #28
hkgar
Registered Member

Hair dryer test results:

Much hotter on the outlet used for the aquarium.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 10/20/2017, 03:22 PM   #29
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Hair dryer test results:

Much hotter on the outlet used for the aquarium.
= replace outlet...

Unread 10/20/2017, 03:33 PM   #30
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
= replace outlet...
Sadly that may not be possible due to the location of the outlet and lack of work space.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hEZuGKpEooDfwMec2
I might move to an outlet about 7 ft down from the tank. It will require replacing that outlet with a GFI and using a short 15 amp rated extension cord.

Unread 10/20/2017, 03:35 PM   #31
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Looks like plenty of room to me..

Unread 10/20/2017, 04:18 PM   #32
hkgar
Registered Member

Tough to work from the side and get the wires on the on the terminals with the plumping in the way, but I'll give it a try. Hopefully it is the termination and there are only load wires to hook up.

Unread 10/20/2017, 05:47 PM   #33
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Sadly that may not be possible due to the location of the outlet and lack of work space.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hEZuGKpEooDfwMec2
I might move to an outlet about 7 ft down from the tank. It will require replacing that outlet with a GFI and using a short 15 amp rated extension cord.
You'll have plenty of room to work with once your tank and house burn down.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 05:59 PM   #34
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieSmell View Post
You'll have plenty of room to work with once your tank and house burn down.
Do you ever have anything constructive to add to a discussion or do you just flame and disappear. Go back to Haight-Ashbury get stoned beyond belief and vanish.

Unread 10/20/2017, 06:32 PM   #35
Lsufan
Registered Member

I would do whatever necessary short of breaking the tank down to replace the outlet. I wouldn’t want to leave a bad outlet in the wall anyways. Put a cover plate on that thing next time.

It may be easier to go ahead & hook some pigtails up to the outlet before u install it & then just wirenutt the pigtails to the existing wiring. In tight spaces it’s easier to twist on a wirenutt rather then to try & have to install the wires onto the terminals

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 06:57 PM   #36
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Do you ever have anything constructive to add to a discussion or do you just flame and disappear. Go back to Haight-Ashbury get stoned beyond belief and vanish.
I'm trying to impress upon you how important it is to get this fixed instead of making excuses for yourself.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 08:42 AM   #37
2000se
Registered Member

Quote:
I only have one house.
Same here.. b000ooo... Need more houses !!

2000se is offline   Reply With Quote