Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/08/2010, 09:32 PM   #151
mcdonaldtj
Registered Member

This tank looks awesome. I wish I had the room for a big cube.

V/Tim

mcdonaldtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2010, 10:03 PM   #152
karsco
Registered Member

D2 great build! I have almost the exact same setup except you have a nicer tank, lights, house etc. I got the package from TBS about 5 years ago and it is some nice rock. It is a little dense but the life on it is incredible when you first get it. Even 5 years later I have sponges, feather dusters, urchins etc pop up out of nowhere. The one thing you need to watch for is hitchhikers, crabs, mantis shrimps etc. I had countless crabs and about 4 mantis shrimps that wreaked havoc in my tank when I first set it up. If you need to get them out I recommend doing a high salinity dip (especially for the mantis they are tough bastards) to get them out of the rocks they are in. Also get ready to do lot's of water changes because of the diverse life you will get some die off. (but I am sure you already knew this)

I love the clean lines and great planning. I wish I would have thought of your ideas for mounting the vortech's that was a great idea. You will love the Itech skimmer, I am only running a 100 on my 140 cube but will probably upgrade to the 200 when I get this tank more heavily stocked. They pull the nastiest skimmate of any skimmer I have ever owned. Enough of my rambling great job, and look forward to watching your progress.

Scott

karsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2010, 10:14 PM   #153
d2mini
Registered Member

Karsco, thanks for the tips and comments!

I've heard of the high salinity dip, but how high exactly? I hear the clicking noises but at this point I don't know where those little buggers are. I was going to try the coke bottle traps, especially since I won't be feeding the tank for weeks and figured they would be hungry.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2010, 10:33 PM   #154
kevantheman35
Registered Member

sounds like your in for a battle man, best of luck! cant wait to see pics with the rock in

ps. prey their just pistol shrimp making the clicks

Current Tank Info: 34g Mixed Reef Solana (2 years old). 12g jbj nanocube dx (retired at 2 years old)
kevantheman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2010, 10:40 PM   #155
SawdustInTank
Registered Member

That's a very nice tank you have there. Keep the pics coming.........

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon Shallow Rimless, 20 gal.sump, Full spectrum LED lighting, Reef Octopus Skimmer 110 INT, RKL Plus.
SawdustInTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2010, 08:29 AM   #156
karsco
Registered Member

D2,

Yes try the coke bottle traps first, I caught some of my crabs and one of the mantis with this method. For the high salinity dip take some of your tank water (whatever volume you need) and just add some salt until you get it in the 1.30 range. I use a five gallon bucket and a few gallons of water when I was dipping my rocks. It takes a while to figure out where the "clicks" are coming from but if you watch the tank you can figure out where they tend to hang out. The mantis & crabs would be good little scavangers in your sump (if you have a spot for them) if not you might ask some fellow reefers if they want them. I have noticed they actually sell some types of mantis now. At the time they were ripping through my snail population and I was frustrated so mine got the flush, but looking back I should have tried to find them a home.

Good luck,
Scott

karsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2010, 08:31 AM   #157
d2mini
Registered Member

Thanks!

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 01/09/2010, 12:34 PM   #158
theyammieguy
Registered Member

Looking good man.

12g JBJ deluxe JBJ viper 70w, maxi jet 900, Koralia nano, two false percs, softies, LPS, and SPS, about 25# LR and 2"-3" SB. Running since 3/22/07. Soon to add sump with skimmer
Click my home page for pictures.

40g breeder upgrade in progress.

Planning a 60g cube FOWLR.
theyammieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2010, 01:07 PM   #159
gtfourmn
Registered Member

Very nice tank. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 50
gtfourmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2010, 01:36 PM   #160
Hollywood1
Registered Member

This tank is beautiful, great design, keep us updated

Hollywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2010, 05:34 AM   #161
artchang
Registered Member

may i know what kind of the bulkhead fitting you use? is the sch 40 or 80?
thanks a lot.

artchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2010, 08:33 AM   #162
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artchang View Post
may i know what kind of the bulkhead fitting you use? Is the sch 40 or 80?
Thanks a lot.

Unread 01/10/2010, 08:35 AM   #163
d2mini
Registered Member

Here's a few quick pics of the rock. I had to do a water change already (ammonia was getting up near .5 - 1.0) and I moved the rocks around now that I can actually see but was still a little cloudy when i took the pics. And it's still all pretty much temporary. These are just the base rock. More rock with more life on it is coming in the next shipment.

Oh, and I did catch a Mantis Shrimp! Found him scurrying around after I moved the rock. Scooped him up with a net and tossed him in the sump. Now he keeps going back and forth between my fuge and skimmer section. Still some popping noises though. Could just be Pistols. We'll see...

Unread 01/10/2010, 09:45 AM   #164
Briney Dave
Registered Member

If you had one its a safe bet there will be more. Might want to set a trap now before they get too settled in.
I did not have any mantis on the Florida rock that I got but there were lots of cool sponge and macro algae on it. I was hoping for some coral nubbings ect but there were any on my rock.

Briney Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2010, 09:58 AM   #165
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briney Dave View Post
If you had one its a safe bet there will be more. Might want to set a trap now before they get too settled in.
I did not have any mantis on the Florida rock that I got but there were lots of cool sponge and macro algae on it. I was hoping for some coral nubbings ect but there were any on my rock.
Ya, I'll be setting a trap. I'm drinking a bottle of diet coke right now.

Check this out. These windows face north, so no direct light but the room still lights up pretty good. This pic is from this morning with NO lights turned on! I think I may be saving on electricity. LOL!

Unread 01/10/2010, 10:00 AM   #166
Luckylouse
Registered Member

Corals wouldn't do very well while cycling the tank anyways. It's rare for them to live through a solid cylce.

I would be doing water changes, running a skimmer for the first 2 weeks of cylling. You are defeating the purpose. You want the Ammonia at this point. Feed that bacteria.
I would also reduce the light period. That's just going to cause unwanted Algeas while you have high nutrients with the cylcing. You might want to drop the curtains in the area of your tank too to reduce the light to the tank. You don't want to have to be dealing with Hair ALgea.

PS.. Tanks is really nice. It's a very good use of the space in your home. Cubes work very well in open concept homes.

Luckylouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2010, 10:25 AM   #167
d2mini
Registered Member

Thanks, Lucky.

The cycle should be pretty short. I'm following TBS's strict instructions.
http://tampabaysaltwater.com/thepackage/setup.html
Richard even sends a packet of new tank bacteria. And with the minimal die-off the cycle should be pretty short. Ammonia looks good today. Holding steady at .25

Unread 01/10/2010, 10:35 AM   #168
XtremeFromHell
Registered Member

wow, your tank and house both look awesome!

XtremeFromHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2010, 12:07 PM   #169
theyammieguy
Registered Member

You might want to watch those windows when summer comes around. The sun will be coming in from a different angle.

Looks good though.

12g JBJ deluxe JBJ viper 70w, maxi jet 900, Koralia nano, two false percs, softies, LPS, and SPS, about 25# LR and 2"-3" SB. Running since 3/22/07. Soon to add sump with skimmer

Unread 01/10/2010, 01:22 PM   #170
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyammieguy View Post
You might want to watch those windows when summer comes around. The sun will be coming in from a different angle.

Looks good though.
Thanks!
Luckily those windows never get direct light. There's an overhang and we have big old trees. And they face directly north. So it's always indirect.

Unread 01/10/2010, 06:01 PM   #171
cubical
Registered Member

Wow, a very nice cube, inspirational! I love the stand and tank and the overflow box itself is a piece of art! LOL
Awesome house as well.
Where did the second Vortech go?

cubical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2010, 07:29 PM   #172
d2mini
Registered Member

Thanks!
I'm running just the one vortech for a little while just to see what that was like before adding the second. Even just the one on medium power is blowing my sand around.

Unread 01/13/2010, 08:32 AM   #173
d2mini
Registered Member

So i tossed a bottle trap in my tank last night but no luck yet in catching any Mantis shrimp. I saw two of them in one rock so I pulled it out and did a high salinity dip (1.045) but that didn't accomplish anything. Any other tips for catching these little guys?

Meanwhile my ammonia is holding steady at .25 and I have been working on getting the wiring cleaned up and getting my ReefKeeper Lite moved over from my other tank.

Unread 01/13/2010, 08:34 AM   #174
theyammieguy
Registered Member

I'd say since your still cycling, take the rock out and leave it out for a day.

Unread 01/13/2010, 08:42 AM   #175
d2mini
Registered Member

That would defeat the purpose of getting TBS rock, and it's most likely not the only one affected anyway. The initial ammonia spike seems to be over so I should be able to get Part II of The Package soon.