Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2010, 09:38 AM   #1
floydie83
Registered Member

What to look for when buying live rock?

I'm looking at buying some live rock from a person who is taking down their tank.

I know she said it is rock from Florida, but what should I look for when if I go buy it?

Thanks,
Matt

floydie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2010, 09:46 AM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

In general, look for pests (hair algae, aiptasia anemones, majano anemones etc.) that you do not want to have to battle with. It is also a good idea to test the water for phosphates. If the phosphate levels are high, the rock will absorb it and you will likely have issues with keep your phosphate levels down once you set up the tank. In general, I prefer light porous rock that will maximize the surface area for bacteria and a generally appealing appearance.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Mish1
Registered Member

It may sound simple but I recommend smelling the rock. If it smells rotten then I would avoid it.

Mish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2010, 10:35 AM   #4
ReefiusMaxiumus
Registered Member

Don't forget to think about how the rock shapes will fit into your planned rock structure. If you pick out unique pieces you should be able to make some cool structures.

ReefiusMaxiumus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2010, 11:25 AM   #5
CJO
Registered Member

Another thing to check for is copper. If they ever treated their fish in the tank, the rock will absorb some of the copper. This isn't too bad if you are just doing FOWLR, but will kill any corals you may want/have.

CJ

CJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2010, 12:16 PM   #6
brubinfeld
Registered Member

i would buy only froma trusted source and then scurbbed down let it dry for a couple of weeks and then added to your system slowly as this is the only safe way how to add live rock without having problems

brubinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2010, 12:47 PM   #7
floydie83
Registered Member

Are you in the Detroit area? Do you know a good place to get good live rock reasonably? After reading these comments I am kind of shying away from buying from someone I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubinfeld View Post
i would buy only froma trusted source and then scurbbed down let it dry for a couple of weeks and then added to your system slowly as this is the only safe way how to add live rock without having problems

floydie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2010, 12:48 PM   #8
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish1 View Post
It may sound simple but I recommend smelling the rock. If it smells rotten then I would avoid it.
Why?

wooden_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2010, 12:51 PM   #9
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

It depends on what you want the LR to do, what you want it for.

If you want it as a source of misc livestock, you look for LR with the best growth, and place it in a tank with medium that has been already cycled very well.

If you want LR as the medium of filtration, you can cycle from rock that has already lost most higher lives on it (cured).

Unread 02/22/2010, 12:57 PM   #10
Mish1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooden_reefer View Post
Why?
Just my experience but when buying LR from LFS I have found sometimes it smells rotten which means lots of die off is occuring. Not really something you want to put in your tank and if you do you will need to scrub it and most likely kill anything living that is remaining.

The best live rock I have had experience with has that fresh ocean smell which to me is a good indicator of quality.

Mish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2010, 12:59 PM   #11
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish1 View Post
Just my experience but when buying LR from LFS I have found sometimes it smells rotten which means lots of die off is occuring. Not really something you want to put in your tank and if you do you will need to scrub it and most likely kill anything living that is remaining.

The best live rock I have had experience with has that fresh ocean smell which to me is a good indicator of quality.
It depends on what you want the LR for.

You don't necessarily regard dieoff as unwanted.

Unread 06/26/2011, 02:53 PM   #12
wicz101
Registered Member

I have a bunch of old live rock, that is sun bleached. Any recommendations on what my next step should be w/ it?

wicz101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live rock, live rock recommendation