Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2019, 01:02 PM   #26
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

Happy to see I wasn't the only one.

Unread 09/23/2019, 01:49 PM   #27
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Good point, D-Nak. When considering the shipping cost, plus the cost of meds to keep mail order fish alive, the LFS looks better than ever.

I also know that lots of folks are having no problems with Live Aquaria. If you're OK with the changes and condition of the fish, you should stick with them, and enjoy.

For the last year or so, I've had several LA orders with DOAs and sick fish that died within days. Having the guarantee made it a little easier to live with. Lately, I find I care less about the cost and more about being able to keep fish alive. On my last LA order, I ended up spending more on the meds than the fish. With the policy changes, it's no longer worth the risk, to me at least.
What I can find locally I buy locally. I'm quite picky with my fish and like to see them before I buy them, not just seeing a picture but see how they act and behave. Problem is that, despite having a couple of good LFS here, not everything can be found here. So some things got to be mail order

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2019, 02:05 PM   #28
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That sounds like the way to go, ThRoewer. I'll give my LFS the first shot at my business, and fill the gaps with online stores.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2019, 05:07 AM   #29
alton
Registered Member

I was happy to see the change from a few months to use my credit to a year from the date of issued credit. I liked the original credit back to my card, and the $99 min. free shipping. But at the end of the day they are matching what is out there as far as their competition. Like most have stated I am watching and ordering more from my LFS. Sorry about the crappy picture but I picked up this awesome male Pintail for $80

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pintail male 9-23-19.jpg (44.7 KB, 52 views)
alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2019, 01:20 PM   #30
lespaul339
Reefer

I've had problems with LA for quite awhile now. They used to be my favorite place to order fish from. But anymore the fish were always showing up sick or diseased. Sometimes I swear they threw a dead fish in a bag just to complete an order. The way some of those arrived, there was no way they were alive when they bagged them judging by the looks of the fish. It got to the point where nothing was making it past quarantine. I've had a few problems with their customer service being rude as well. I no longer do business with them. I've started buying my fish from local fish stores and have less problems and the fish seem way more healthy.

Current Tank Info: 60x24x24 150 gallon reef, 55 gallon sump.
lespaul339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2019, 02:37 PM   #31
pmaloy
Registered Member

I'm going to chip in my experience, even thought it's mostly been said already. I made 3 orders each with 10 blue/green chromis. Out of those 30 fish about half were DOA, and at the end of it only 1 survived QT to make it into the DT. After the first 2 orders I thought maybe they were killing each other off, so the third order I kept them all separated, and they still died. The first two orders were still under the refund system, and the last was the store credit. While the refund was nice, but it doesn't refund the shipping costs. Overnight shipping + the adder to deliver on Saturday (cuz I'm not taking a day off work to wait around for UPS) it adds up, and I got tired of paying that too

Current Tank Info: 225 Gallon, Currently have 1 pin cushion urchin (named Henry), 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 pistol shrimp (named Pistol"), 1 orange spotted goby, 4 blue/green chromis, nassarius snails, and trochus snails
pmaloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2019, 11:28 PM   #32
nigeldcat
Registered Member

I quit buying Liveaquaria stuff and only bought Divers Den stuff when Petco purchased them. If you don't have a quality LFS then I think DD is still a good option. Petco destroyed Drs. Foster and Smith and I won't even got to Petco anymore. The last time I went to Petco I needed some frozen fish food. I walked in and their frozen food delivery had arrived about five hours earlier and was still on the floor outside the freezer completely defrosted and at room temp. I am sure they eventually put it back in the freezer after setting out all day.
My LFS were hit or miss for years but loving my latest in PDX. I am supporting local as my latest is way more conscientious and I prefer seeing stock and keeping transfer stress low.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon FOWLR
nigeldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2019, 06:50 PM   #33
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

The price of fish is also going up... a juv emperor use to cost $89, now $119

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2019, 08:38 PM   #34
dadnjesse
Registered Member

I just purchased these on 9/25 everything showed up at my door 9/26 by 10am ,Purple Dottyback, 2 Kaudern's Cardinalfish, 4 Blue/Green Reef Chromis,
3 Emerald Crabs, 25 Banded Trochus Snails. Everything is doing well I have not lost a single fish

dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2019, 09:25 PM   #35
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
I just purchased these on 9/25 everything showed up at my door 9/26 by 10am...
And is your ‘new’ discount code for September or October?

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2019, 07:42 AM   #36
dadnjesse
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
And is your ‘new’ discount code for September or October?
What discount code?

Unread 09/28/2019, 07:43 AM   #37
dadnjesse
Registered Member

I did lose one Chromis when I got up this morning.

Unread 09/28/2019, 07:53 AM   #38
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
What discount code?
In your shipping box, should have been paperwork with a 5”x7” 15%off coupon...

Unread 09/28/2019, 08:09 AM   #39
dadnjesse
Registered Member

Quote:
In your shipping box, should have been paperwork with a 5”x7” 15%off coupon...
Ok sorry, I was taking my recyclables when it showed up so I just took all my paper and cardboard I didn't pay attention.

Unread 09/28/2019, 10:23 AM   #40
biecacka
Registered Member

My issue is that lately my LFS has had a not so good record with fish. I haven’t bought any but a lot of ppl I know locally have bought from them and they loose them at a higher rate on top of paying more. It’s quite the conundrum for most.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2019, 09:28 PM   #41
pisces 12
Registered Member

I also had a bad experience with them ordered a green singularst and it was all bent over after a few days same thing, i paid 95.00 then it starting to go brown they would do absolutely nothing, there's two many good online stores that stand by there product for me one and done your out i take my money else were

pisces 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2019, 10:23 PM   #42
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Just read that there is now an add’l box charge, even with ‘free’ shipping, as well as add’l charges if your order is from more than 1 shipping location!

Unread 10/01/2019, 11:24 PM   #43
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Just read that there is now an add’l box charge, even with ‘free’ shipping, as well as add’l charges if your order is from more than 1 shipping location!
Yes -- it's a $9.99 "box charge" which is new. And I remember them saying that nothing would change.

Unread 10/02/2019, 06:12 AM   #44
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
So potentially you could have 4 different charges from them now... 3 different location charges (quality marine, divers den,ORA) plus a box charge, shipping minimum went up, the price of fish has gone up on nearly all fish, and credit back... so nice to see the people at petco putting their mark on LiveAquaria

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2019, 03:38 PM   #45
AlexS95
Registered Member

https://imgur.com/2mf8IoL

I placed an order that had stuff coming from LA, DD, and ORA/FL. I got charged one box charge of $9.99

AlexS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2019, 04:37 PM   #46
ThRoewer
Registered Member

They also seem to have problems now to properly identify the specimen they sell on Diver's Den:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-d...-banded-shrimp

That is clearly a Stenopus zanzibaricus from the indian ocean and not Stenopus scutellatus from the Caribbean.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture LA1.jpg (62.6 KB, 190 views)

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 10/03/2019, 11:46 AM   #47
Fish559
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm bummed. No more refunds (just store credit), box charges in addition to shipping, free shipping at $149, not $99.

They were the gold standard. Loved the security of the guaranty. DD still looks to have good stuff...

Fish559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2019, 05:09 PM   #48
AlexS95
Registered Member

The order I got had a 15% code... '2SAVE15'. Good through 11/30/19.

AlexS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2019, 06:58 PM   #49
ThRoewer
Registered Member

My last order had 2 bluestripe pipefish, shipped from Quality Marine. One of them was so emaciated and weak that it was dead in the evening. It was quite obvious that this fish had zero chance surviving being shipped. It seems to me like it was thrown in to get rid of a moribund fish and still make a buck or at least generate a followup order...

Oh, and the discount code I got in the box was still the September code, yet the order was shipped on October 1st for delivery the next day.

They seriously need to rethink what they are doing or they gonna lose customers.

Unread 10/10/2019, 11:02 PM   #50
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Another change/new restriction I just noticed:
"We guarantee that ALL aquaria species we offer will arrive alive and in good condition. However, because of the increased level of care required for this particular species, it has been designated as "Expert Only." This species is recommended only for the expert aquarist, zoo, or research institution. “Expert Only” aquatic life is exempt from our extended guarantee after their arrival."