Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/29/2010, 12:09 PM   #1
kmu
Registered Member

Setting Night mode on a Vortech MP40

I read the manual and didnt find info on how to set it up, it doesnt say on the controller...

How is it done?

THX in advance

kmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 12:43 PM   #2
CoralMonkey
Registered Member

Hold down both buttons on the master. When it starts flashing white then release.

CoralMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 01:00 PM   #3
peiloy3196
Registered Member

You can download the manual here: http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/...manual_1.1.pdf

On page 4 you will find what you are looking for.

Basically you have to wait until the exact time that you want to start night mode. Then hold mode and set at the same timeuntil the controller starts blinking red white and blue. Once this happens you then have to hold mode and set again until it starts breathing white.

Tank: 230 Gal , 75 Gal Sump with Refuge, 3X250W MH, 4X54W T5, MP60QD's, SRO XP5000 Skimmer, Octopus Calcium Reactor, 1.5 HP Chiller, Apex.

Current Tank Info: 250 Gallon Reef
peiloy3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 01:01 PM   #4
karsco
Registered Member

Yep pretty much what monkey said, when you push and hold the set & mode buttons at the same time (about 3 seconds) the light will blink red, white & blue. You then push them again and it will set it in night mode, then it will have a pulsating white light and you are done...

karsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 02:44 PM   #5
CoralMonkey
Registered Member

Good call, I forgot about the flashing red/white/blue.

CoralMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2010, 11:57 AM   #6
SueAndHerZoo
Registered Member

I, too, just purchased and installed my Vortech MP40 and was wondering how to set the different available modes.... thanks for the info - I'm printing it as I type.

Newbie question: I have my Vortech MP40 in a 92 gallon corner tank with live rock, a few fish, and just a few beginner coral frags. What setting do I want the Vortech to be on - just the standard, steady flow at the appropriate power setting? (full power is too much right now, I've got it at the lower end).

Thanks for any input.

Sue

SueAndHerZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2010, 12:00 PM   #7
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Try lagoon or reefcrest and adjust it to about 3/4 power and see if that is too much.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2010, 12:06 PM   #8
SueAndHerZoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Try lagoon or reefcrest and adjust it to about 3/4 power and see if that is too much.
Thanks for the info - I'm going to have fun "tinkering" with this amazing piece of equipment. I'm going to mount the control box to the inside of the cabinet door -- I imagine that's what most everyone does, right?

Sue

Unread 03/07/2010, 12:07 PM   #9
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Yeah but the holes are a bit too small. I run a couple sizes up drill bit through the holes before mounting to make things easier.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2010, 12:23 PM   #10
SueAndHerZoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Yeah but the holes are a bit too small. I run a couple sizes up drill bit through the holes before mounting to make things easier.
Thanks..... time to recruit hubby and his drill bits.

Unread 03/07/2010, 12:36 PM   #11
Mike31154
Registered Member

Make sure that wherever you mount the driver, it will not be exposed to any moisture. If there's a sump in your cabinet, be careful.

Current Tank Info: 77g sumpless sw with rock, sand, a few critters, fishes & polyps. Lights, pumps.....
Mike31154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2010, 12:51 PM   #12
SueAndHerZoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike31154 View Post
Make sure that wherever you mount the driver, it will not be exposed to any moisture. If there's a sump in your cabinet, be careful.
Oops. Yes, the spot I had in mind is VERY close to the sump. As a matter of fact, if I mounted it up high on the door it would possibly even be exposed to some splashage and salt creep. Am I worried about it being exposed to "humidity" or actual water droplets? I would think any area under the cabinet would be bad due to all the water, heat from equipment, salt spray, etc.
Sue

Unread 03/07/2010, 03:03 PM   #13
DevilBoy
Registered Member

I mounted my drivers on the sides of my canopy on the outside. Looks real nice

Bare Bottom 90g AGA RR. 2 AI Sol Blue LED Fixtures, SWC 160 cone skimmer. 2 MP40W ES Vortech pumps, 1 MP10W ES Votech pump, Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Elite, Tunze 1073 internal return pump. 30g custom acrylic sump with refugium.

Current Tank Info: 90g AGA RR, custom 30g sump
DevilBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2010, 03:13 PM   #14
SueAndHerZoo
Registered Member

Actually I never thought of mounting on the outside -- I'm so accustomed to trying to hide everything, but since this is a nice looking unit with "pretty colored lights" I don't necessarily have to hide this one. Good idea!
Sue

Unread 03/08/2010, 02:04 AM   #15
ryshark
Registered Member

I mounted mine on the wall behind the tank, I have enough room to squeeze my hand back there from the side to change the settings. Or I can get it through the cabinets in the front too.

ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2010, 10:12 AM   #16
rbnice1
Moved On

Mine are mounted on the wall as well. Above the tank so you can see them. They are bright when all the lights are off in the room but during the day/evening its no big deal.

rbnice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 04:48 PM   #17
sfboarders
Registered Member

How accurate is the Vortech timer? At 9:10PM I enabled night mode. Next day at 7:10AM I am still in night mode. That same day at 9:30PM and I'm still in reefcrest mode.

sfboarders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 05:22 PM   #18
davocean
Registered Member

FWIW, the ocean currents only appear to be less at night, but this isn't the case, it's usually just less wind on ocean surface.
Most seem to agree that there is greater benefit from maintaining good flow at night.
I run reefcrest 24/7

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 12:26 AM   #19
Mike31154
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfboarders View Post
How accurate is the Vortech timer? At 9:10PM I enabled night mode. Next day at 7:10AM I am still in night mode. That same day at 9:30PM and I'm still in reefcrest mode.
I use the night mode too, more to save power and wear & tear on the pumps. Doesn't seem to have any negative effects on the livestock in my system that I'm aware of. I've also found the time to creep from the original set time. Gets a few minutes later later every day, so no, it's not that accurate. I'm hoping they've sorted that out with the newer ES drivers. I don't find it's that much of an issue, since it's fairly easy to reset the starting time for night mode if I wish to do so.

Current Tank Info: 77g sumpless sw with rock, sand, a few critters, fishes & polyps. Lights, pumps.....
Mike31154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 06:23 AM   #20
kimber45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo View Post
Oops. Yes, the spot I had in mind is VERY close to the sump. As a matter of fact, if I mounted it up high on the door it would possibly even be exposed to some splashage and salt creep. Am I worried about it being exposed to "humidity" or actual water droplets? I would think any area under the cabinet would be bad due to all the water, heat from equipment, salt spray, etc.
Sue
thats exactly where mine are being mounted. imo they are to gawdy for the outside especially the new eco drivers.

kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 10:24 AM   #21
sfboarders
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike31154 View Post
I use the night mode too, more to save power and wear & tear on the pumps. Doesn't seem to have any negative effects on the livestock in my system that I'm aware of. I've also found the time to creep from the original set time. Gets a few minutes later later every day, so no, it's not that accurate. I'm hoping they've sorted that out with the newer ES drivers. I don't find it's that much of an issue, since it's fairly easy to reset the starting time for night mode if I wish to do so.
Well I guess they did not fix it with the ES drivers because that's what I'm using.

sfboarders is offline   Reply With Quote