Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/15/2015, 09:17 AM   #26
Martini5788
Registered Member

I think all of us will vouch for your sanity. You have proof, photographic evidence haha. At some point or another, an occy was in there. How large is 5c in Australia? Don't know the currency there, sorry if that's a stupid question

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2015, 10:23 AM   #27
MaccaPopEye
Registered Member

Haha sorry not a stupid question at all, I forgot this was an international forum.

A 5c piece is just under 2cm in diameter. Or about 3/4" in freedom units. And with its legs out it was around 3cm diameter or 1 & 3/4".

"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
MaccaPopEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2015, 11:19 AM   #28
Martini5788
Registered Member

Wow that's teeny tiny. No wonder you can't find it! It could be literally anywhere

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2015, 02:50 PM   #29
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

i've been wondering how this turned out! would sure love for you to find that guy.

oh and, sanity is way overrated.

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 02:59 PM   #30
Alavaster
Registered Member

I stumbled into this thread and OP I have to say it was an adventure. Any more sightings? or any luck catching the little devil?

Alavaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2015, 06:22 AM   #31
kegogut
Registered Member

I was thinking that if you didnt add anymore crabs or live food if they were to steadily decline then you would know that hes still in there. If they continue to thrive then you might be able to tell its dead or has jumped ship.

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
kegogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2015, 08:46 AM   #32
MaccaPopEye
Registered Member

It's been a while since I checked this thread but I actually have a small update. My crab population has been in decline and until last night I thought there had only been 2-3 left for almost a month now (and quite large ones too). Occasionaly I seen mangled crab remains on the sand bed. This could be the occy or my mantis or even both.

Working shift work helps as I reguarly finish at 2am and can grab a torch and check the tank. Well last night I got home and did my routine check, and as I am moving the torch from the left hand side over to the right I saw a blur fly faster than I thought possible from the top corner down to the bottom corner which is hidden by rocks. Whatever it was looked brown/orange and moved way too fast (and I was way too tired) for me to see any kind of shape but unless I was so tired I was seeing things then I have a pretty good idea of what it could have been.

After I determined it was gone and my chances at a decent sighting were nil I moved the torch back up to the top right hand corner to see why it was up there and lo and behold sitting ontop of a powerhead there is the only small crab I have seen in the tank in the last few weeks.

From this possible sighting I have concluded a couple of things:
1) If it was the octopus then it is still alive but running out of food. So I will endevour to go crab collecting soon to top up the supply.
2) This is only my second sighting if you can call it that, but both have been at night time. From what I know about blue rings they are diurnal hunters. So this is good news. It could still be a blue ring that is hunting at night as it is too shy with people around during the day but it is certainly a lot less likely.

From here I am going to visit the local aquarium and have a chat with the guy there and see if he knows what other species of octopus it could possibly be. I will also re-commence my attempts at trapping. I am going away for a few weeks soon so I will try to ensure there is ample crabs by then to keep it alive.

More than anything right now I would love to catch it and get an ID. Of course if I have any updates I will report back.

Cheers,

Macca

"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
Unread 05/06/2015, 02:33 PM   #33
Jade5051
That guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaccaPopEye View Post
It's been a while since I checked this thread but I actually have a small update. My crab population has been in decline and until last night I thought there had only been 2-3 left for almost a month now (and quite large ones too). Occasionaly I seen mangled crab remains on the sand bed. This could be the occy or my mantis or even both.

Working shift work helps as I reguarly finish at 2am and can grab a torch and check the tank. Well last night I got home and did my routine check, and as I am moving the torch from the left hand side over to the right I saw a blur fly faster than I thought possible from the top corner down to the bottom corner which is hidden by rocks. Whatever it was looked brown/orange and moved way too fast (and I was way too tired) for me to see any kind of shape but unless I was so tired I was seeing things then I have a pretty good idea of what it could have been.

After I determined it was gone and my chances at a decent sighting were nil I moved the torch back up to the top right hand corner to see why it was up there and lo and behold sitting ontop of a powerhead there is the only small crab I have seen in the tank in the last few weeks.

From this possible sighting I have concluded a couple of things:

1) If it was the octopus then it is still alive but running out of food. So I will endevour to go crab collecting soon to top up the supply.

2) This is only my second sighting if you can call it that, but both have been at night time. From what I know about blue rings they are diurnal hunters. So this is good news. It could still be a blue ring that is hunting at night as it is too shy with people around during the day but it is certainly a lot less likely.

From here I am going to visit the local aquarium and have a chat with the guy there and see if he knows what other species of octopus it could possibly be. I will also re-commence my attempts at trapping. I am going away for a few weeks soon so I will try to ensure there is ample crabs by then to keep it alive.

More than anything right now I would love to catch it and get an ID. Of course if I have any updates I will report back.

Cheers,

Macca

Well it sounds like it's still Alive but at the same time it sounds like you want to keep it. I thought you wanted to get rid of it? You could starve it. Or nuke the tank with copper. I know that sounds bad but this is quite sometime to wait on what seems to be a pest.

Unread 05/06/2015, 03:28 PM   #34
MaccaPopEye
Registered Member

Keep it - depends on the species. My biggest concern was that it was a blue ring due to their high population where the LR came from. It is looking like it may not be a blue ring, in which case I would have no problem keeping it depending on the species.

Kill it - not something I would do deliberately. If it does turn out to be a blue ring then I definitely don't want it in my tank but they are amazing creatures and killing it isn't my plan.

Catch & release - preferred option without a doubt. I raised my concern with parks and wildlife about releasing something that had been living in my tank back into the ocean and they told me to release it if I can catch it.

Copper wouldn't be an option either. Too much coral that has no where to go. After my initial panic dies down I have begun to think of it more as an interesting experience and not really as a pest. It does require me to be a bit vigilant around my tank however if it is a blue ring I have been reliably informed that on contact with air - unlike other species they curl up and fall back into the water so it won't go for a walk which was my biggest fear.

Unread 05/06/2015, 05:20 PM   #35
Jade5051
That guy...

Feed it! Make it fat and happy!

Unread 06/27/2015, 12:04 PM   #36
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Thought I'd throw in 2cents about the mantis + octo cohabitation, FWIW, Stomatopods are probably the #1 predator to blue ring octopus. I'm mainly stating this concerning the one you're bringing up, however it's a possibility that the mantis could go after the blue ring (if it is one) but vice versa is very unlikely since some how stomatopods can ignore the venom.

Hope you find out what it is. Amazing read and makes me want to be a bit more careful hand picking my live rock.

Unread 11/03/2015, 10:19 PM   #37
SaltBeast
Registered Member

Interesting. Any update?

SaltBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2015, 02:22 PM   #38
McPuff
Registered Member

I'm also hoping for an update on this. Very interesting.

Macca, you a triathlete or fan of the sport by chance? :0)

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2015, 02:12 AM   #39
MaccaPopEye
Registered Member

Unfortunately no update. Haven't seen it again since. The mantis however is now about 8cm and comes out for a feed about once or twice a month. I threw some small crabs in the tank back in July before I went on holiday and they all disappeared within 2 months but if it was the mantis or the octopus who knows. My tank is approaching the one year mark so I'm getting ready to say that whatever species it was it must have been full grown when it went in and hence probably only had a year left alive and has probably died or was killed by the mantis.

And not a triathalete or a fan haha

Unread 01/08/2016, 10:45 PM   #40
Cottage
Registered Member

Anything new?

Cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2016, 02:36 AM   #41
MaccaPopEye
Registered Member

No sightings in a while now mate so nothing to update. I still do check the tank every time I finish work at 2am (twice a week) but nothing. There haven't been any crabs left in a while and I just haven't had a chance to get any more and at this point I probably wont be bothering as I am going to assume it has either been killed by the mantis / the mantis ate all the crabs before it could and it starved, or died of old age.

If I do see it again updating this thread will be the first thing I do but I am not hopeful.

Unread 03/11/2016, 06:26 PM   #42
rocksaus
Registered Member

The suspense is killing me

rocksaus is offline   Reply With Quote