Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2010, 04:19 PM   #1
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

Last Chance if you want Soda Lime Tonight!

I'm coming tonight to the FMAS meeting and bringing the Soda Lime for those that have already spoken up.

If you don't know what I'm talking about - search for CO2 Scrubber

Soda Lime will remove CO2 from the air and people are starting to use this to run the air through PRIOR to going into their skimmers to remove the CO2. This will help to stabalize the PH and "I think" something was said about the skimmer working more effeciently as well but not 100% sure on that one.

I figured out that a refillable DI canister (like the ones used in RO/DI units) will hold 630 grams of this brand of soda lime. That's like 1 lb 6 oz. It's supposed to last anywhere from 1 to 3 months.

I am selling this AT COST. Each refill (630 grams) is only $3.25

If anyone else wants me to bring some to them tonight then you better speak up pretty quickly because I'll be leaving in about an hour from now.

**** On second thought - I'll just toss it in the car. If anyone wants any tonight just ask me. I can weigh it out there.

AND my own shameful plug: Don't forget to bring your used DI canisters - I'm collecting old DI.

Current Tank Info: NONE - Sold - Can't afford it right now!

Last edited by coralfragger101; 02/23/2010 at 04:28 PM.
coralfragger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2010, 05:11 AM   #2
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

This subject doesn't seem to be taking on too much interest.

I do not have one of the RO/DI canisters converted to a CO2 scrubber yet but yesterday I did happen to find an empty Phosban Reactor. I've stated before that I thought these would work as well. After all, all you are trying to do is pull air through the media.

The inlet and the outlet of the phosban reactor appeared to be the same size as the air inlet to my Orca 200 skimmer so I thought "what the heck", let me give this a try.

I was weighing out media for other folks yesterday so I filled my phosban reactor with the media and hooked it up to my Orca. I did take a cotton ball and just sort of stuck my little finger into it creating a "cave" in the ball and I just stuck that over the inlet of the reactor as an air filter.

I'm not exactly sure what how much my PH would drop overnight prior to the media being added but last night my PH only dropped .1 overnight. I think that's pretty darn stable.

I guess I could do things in reverse and take the reactor back offline in order to check how much it drops without the reactor.

I will - and I'll post results tomorrow morning.

Current Tank Info: NONE - Sold - Can't afford it right now!
coralfragger101 is offline   Reply With Quote