Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2021, 01:27 AM   #1
circaskys
Registered Member

Back to the hobby after 7 years

So after reaching a great point with my 120 gallon mixed reef then moving and having no salt water in my life I caved and got a bio cube 32galon and stand for around $500. I’ve already decided the cover is being removed but now I’m not sure what to do and quite frankly so much has changed I’m feeling extremely out dated and lacking the right information to tackle this new project intelligently.

Sea life leds are t a thing anymore nor is the coral reef a lfs in Connecticut I lovedddd. So I suppose my plan is no sandbed sps heavy nano using Red Sea salt (not coral pro) along with their nopox dosing plan. I very much so want to focus solely on sps and coralline algae not many fish if I had it my way none, but the mrs really wants clowns. Beyond that no fish just a few inverts. The stores around here don’t even have decent rock it seems I have to look into the new fake rock LOL. Never the less I’m excited, budget isn’t to restricted but again don’t want to go crazy!

Any tips or points on the best lights, new or best power heads, hang on back skimmers etc. damn it feels good to be back but sheesh things have changed.

circaskys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2021, 08:17 AM   #2
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Welcome back!

Not sure where you are in CT, but this is a nice store, lots of coral, clean, friendly.

OSA
8 Sandy Bottom Rd.
Coventry, RI 02816
Phone: (401) 823-3474

https://osachoice.com/

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2021, 11:10 AM   #3
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The basics of aquarium keeping have not changed. If you had a successful tank 7 years ago, you can do the same now, with the same methods. Sure there's new tech, but absolutely no requirement to use it. Check it out, and decide what interests you. Ignore the rest. Do it your way and have fun!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2021, 02:24 PM   #4
circaskys
Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words and feedback!

Step one, got about 25 pounds of base rock the purple stuff they seem to make now, picked up a big bag of Red Sea salt and ordered a ai hydra as well as a power head. Looking forward to it all coming in getting eager to set up!

Unread 04/25/2021, 09:56 PM   #5
Albertchoi81
Registered Member

Welcome back to the hobby! Make sure to take pictures along the way!

Albertchoi81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2021, 12:11 PM   #6
circaskys
Registered Member

Hello everyone sorry for the lack of updates some info!

I picked up an AI hydra 32 for my light fixture. An AI Nero 3 power head unfortunately it refuses to work I have the issue of the blue and red light because of an obstruction I guess brand new sucks but I’ll have to figure out what’s next for a power head.

I removed the top of the bio cube and also put in a reef octopus 1100 protein skimmer that’s rated for quite a bit more than the tank!

Seeded it with bacteria tested for a bit and cycled, after ammonia stopped showing up I purchased an orange storm clown fish pair and I have a tiny flame angel lol! They’re doing great eating well and seem to enjoy the set up! I will post some pictures shortly

Unread 05/13/2021, 11:01 PM   #7
Tonkatsuvisuals
Registered Member

I've been away about that long to and so much has changed @_@

Tonkatsuvisuals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2021, 06:24 AM   #8
Looper121
Premium Member

Don’t do it, reefs around the world can’t handle any more pressure from hobbyists. Go with fresh water or get your scuba license!

Unread 05/23/2021, 06:54 AM   #9
Timfish
Registered Member

Welcome back! One big change over the years is our expanding understanding of teh conflicting roles of DOC in marine systems. Forest ROhwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" is an excellent introduction to this subject (kindle is ~$10). One of the surprises for me was the trophic levels on reefs is flipped upside down with preditors comprising roughly half to three quarters of the fish biomass and overfishing of sharks (as well as large groupers and parrotfish) is the biggest short term threat to healthy reef ecosystems. Another seemingly contradition from past assumptions is corals prefer nitrogen in the forms of amino acids, urea and ammonia from fish poop over nitrates. They also use dissolved organic phosphorus and particulate phosphorus in addition to inorganic forms (PO4) which are also obtained from fish poop. So Definitely add some clowns and some other fish.

Unread 05/23/2021, 01:57 PM   #10
Sk8r
RC Mod

If you're worried about the reefs consider tank-grown fish and corals.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2021, 07:30 AM   #11
Timfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circaskys View Post
. . . feels good to be back but sheesh things have changed.
Yes they have, here's some video's you might find informative:

Forest Rohwer "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R2BMEfQGjU

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7hsp0dENEA

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont
https://youtu.be/DWItFGRQJL4

Bacteria, nutrients and Sponges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oLDclO7UcM

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"
https://youtu.be/ZRIKW-9d2xI

Unread 06/01/2021, 10:57 PM   #12