Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/30/2018, 07:16 AM   #1
MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha!

Question about DSLR Update

I'm thinking it's long past time to upgrade my old Canon Rebel XTi (body only, I already have the lenses). Was hoping for some guidance.

Was looking at the Canon T6i or the T7i, but I'm open to suggestions.

Even though I've been dabbling in photography for many years, I still consider myself a noob enthusiast/hobbyist. I'm planning on retiring in a few years and I'm hoping to devote more time to this hobby.

TIA

Cancer is Les' enemy, cancer is my enemy, the enemy of something, something, friend, something, something...
Therefore Les is my friend - El Barto

Current Tank Info: Gone With The Wind
MiNdErAsR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2018, 09:15 AM   #2
Misled
RC Mod

Jim, I'm Nikon so I can't help. One of the Canon guys will check in though.

Unread 07/01/2018, 01:24 PM   #3
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I have a T5i and my little brother's T2i isn't far behind it. My XTi is. The T5i is much better in low light (noise at higher ISO) and the burst shot shutter is much faster. I bet you'll be very happy with the 6 or 7, but my experience ends with the 5.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2018, 04:16 AM   #4
MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha!

Not too many Canon users I guess?

Cancer is Les' enemy, cancer is my enemy, the enemy of something, something, friend, something, something...

Unread 07/04/2018, 09:00 AM   #5
Misled
RC Mod

Give it some time. A few should check in sooner or later.

Unread 07/10/2018, 09:23 AM   #6
nightOwl
Premium Member

Long time Canon user here and looking to upgrade as well so following along...currently I am using a 70D and I am long overdue. Not sure what your max budget is but you might want to look at some mirrorless options as well. Also depending on how you plan to use your camera keep in mind certain features like 4k video is currently only available on their full bodied cameras while other manufactures are bringing in a ton of features at a decent price point. T7i is not bad but the body is not weather sealed and the grip is a bit small. Things you probably already looked at but just mentioning. In the end it will come down to the way you plan to use your camera and how much you want to spend. I started doing some research before my vacation and thinking of trying to hold off until a little later in the year. Have you looked at any other manufacturers and how much have you invested in Canon glass?

Unread 07/10/2018, 02:42 PM   #7
MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
Have you looked at any other manufacturers and how much have you invested in Canon glass?

Too much invested in Canon glass to try another manufacturer.

I'm not an avid photographer, just someone interested in it as a hobby. Hoping to take it up a notch as time allows.

Unread 07/10/2018, 04:32 PM   #8
BlueCorn
Retired

Get a Sony A6500 and a Metabones adapter. It's a better camera and you keep your Canon glass.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 08:36 PM   #9
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNdErAsR View Post
Too much invested in Canon glass to try another manufacturer.

I'm not an avid photographer, just someone interested in it as a hobby. Hoping to take it up a notch as time allows.
MiNdErAsR - I feel you on that. The majority of my Canon glass is L series glass . But there are so many options for using different glass on other cameras with adapters. Not sure if you have been collecting crop sensor lenses or L series but something to keep in mind for future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCorn View Post
Get a Sony A6500 and a Metabones adapter. It's a better camera and you keep your Canon glass.
BlueCorn - I was recently looking at this exact set-up or one of their full body cameras. I have been loyal to Canon for years but the love is not being reciprocated with the latest features...lol. The only thing holding me back is the better skin-tone processing from the Canon sensor but feature wise for the price Sony is looking really good.

Unread 07/11/2018, 12:03 PM   #10
BlueCorn
Retired

Dynamic range on the Sony sensor kicks Canon's butt. Shots that my Canon would require HDR and/or split grad filters to cover the range I can do in one shot on Sony; no filter.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
Unread 07/11/2018, 03:11 PM   #11
MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha!

Quote:

Thanks Doug, I'll check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
MiNdErAsR - I feel you on that. The majority of my Canon glass is L series glass . But there are so many options for using different glass on other cameras with adapters. Not sure if you have been collecting crop sensor lenses or L series but something to keep in mind for future.

I'm running with a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f4~5.6 IS USM and a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lenses.

Unread 07/11/2018, 06:52 PM   #12
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Dynamic range on the Sony sensor kicks Canon's butt. Shots that my Canon would require HDR and/or split grad filters to cover the range I can do in one shot on Sony; no filter.
BlueCorn - If you would please drop me a PM I have some more questions about the set up you are running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNdErAsR View Post
Thanks Doug, I'll check that out.

I'm running with a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f4~5.6 IS USM and a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lenses.
MiNdErAsR - My Canon glass includes the following:
  • EF 24-70mm L - f/2.8
  • EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
  • EF 400mm L -f/5.6
  • EF 70-200mm L -f/2.8
  • EF 40mm -f/2.8
  • EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Unread 07/15/2018, 07:05 AM   #13
MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha!

Quote:

I looked into this, and it's a bit out of my price range.

I scratched the T6i off my list. Now I'm comparing the T7i and the 77D which are a little more wallet friendly. But there are things about both I'm not to happy about.

*sigh*

I may just keep my old XTi for now. I dunno.

Unread 07/18/2018, 04:16 PM   #14
BlueCorn
Retired

What about the current camera is limiting you today?

Unread 07/21/2018, 06:52 PM   #15
MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha!

I honestly don't have a good answer to that question. It's an old camera and I'd just like to take advantage of the improved technology newer models offer.

The more I look into all this, the more I'm leaning towards the 80D. I guess I have to save a little more money.

Unread 08/19/2018, 01:25 AM   #16
IPT
Registered Member

Long time Canon user too and I went the same route as Doug. The kicker though is I now find myself using two systems again (grr). I think the Sony excels for my landscape and Aurora photography. However, I still use my 7D mark II for wildlife. I like the speed, focusing, and crop factor. LOL, and I still use my 6D for people (usually) because I have invested in flash gear for it and am just not ready to do the same to make the Sony's work. Honestly it's stupid though, I have cameras all over the place!

As Doug answered, you really need to decide why you are upgrading as that will help you make a decision. For me it was the dynamic range and high ISO capabilities of the Sony. That was very much needed for Aurora stuff and also the MP increase was a plus for the landscapes. As for the weight savings, unless you get all new Sony lenses it doesn't really make much difference.

As for old vs new technology, sometimes it makes less of a difference than you think (again, depending on your current stuff and goals of course). I realize this post wasn't of much help, but all I could do was share my journey. Yours may differ .

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote