Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/03/2017, 08:53 AM   #801
acesq
Registered Member

Its fine where you have it Cody. I have mine all over my sump in bags and baskets -- high flow and low flow areas. Every six months or so I dunk them in a bucket with tank water while I'm doing a water change.

I would add the extra 10l if you can fit it. It can't hurt.

Unread 11/03/2017, 09:32 AM   #802
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

To Cody's question.... Siporax, or any similar media, are self regulating, therefore you can't "have too much". It is only going to allow a place for bacteria to grow, how many grow is dependent on nutrients available. Also, as I said in your thread Cody, it takes time to come online. It is not instant. This is both good and bad. Bad because your in a hurry to get nutrients down, good because slow changes are the safest changes. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 11:26 AM   #803
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
so I added 10l of siporax on Monday to my sump, I added it under my skimmer but left around 4 inches above it for my skimmer and 1 inch under it. Is this a fine area for it?

Also I am thinking of buying another 10L to add or do you think 10L is fine for my 180gallon DT? my nitrates are very high at the moment.
I think the first step needs to be to address why they are so high? Is it simply not enough biological filtration or are there are things at play?

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 02:06 PM   #804
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
Its fine where you have it Cody. I have mine all over my sump in bags and baskets -- high flow and low flow areas. Every six months or so I dunk them in a bucket with tank water while I'm doing a water change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdad View Post
To Cody's question.... Siporax, or any similar media, are self regulating, therefore you can't "have too much". It is only going to allow a place for bacteria to grow, how many grow is dependent on nutrients available. Also, as I said in your thread Cody, it takes time to come online. It is not instant. This is both good and bad. Bad because your in a hurry to get nutrients down, good because slow changes are the safest changes. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
I think the first step needs to be to address why they are so high? Is it simply not enough biological filtration or are there are things at play?

Thanks guys and yeah I know it takes awhile.

It is because my bioload is large and I feed a good amount to keep them healthy. Which is why I am using siporax to get that lower. I am looking into dosing vinegar a little bit to get them lower to the 20s at least till the siporax comes online or will dosing vinegar stunt how fast the siporax starts working?

I also just upgraded my skimmer to the Bubble Magus B11 which has been a beast and I think will help too.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 02:48 PM   #805
acesq
Registered Member

I dosed carbon while my siporax was getting seeded. I think it is beneficial since it increases the amount of bacteria. I no longer dose carbon. Instead, I occasionally dose Nitrate to keep it at my target of 5 ppm. I still dose small amounts of different brands of bacteria every week or two to keep the diversity.

Unread 11/03/2017, 03:18 PM   #806
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
I dosed carbon while my siporax was getting seeded. I think it is beneficial since it increases the amount of bacteria. I no longer dose carbon. Instead, I occasionally dose Nitrate to keep it at my target of 5 ppm. I still dose small amounts of different brands of bacteria every week or two to keep the diversity.
this is exactly how I want to be when my siporax gets going. What bacteria do you dose?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 11/03/2017, 04:27 PM   #807
acesq
Registered Member

I’ve used Zeobak, Bio-mate, probio S, pro bio F and Microbacter7. Right now I’m alternating between the two KZ products and the Aquaforest Pro bio F.

Unread 11/06/2017, 10:03 AM   #808
bigzman
Registered Member

Matrix

Quote:

I have on my 330gallon tank 12 liters of pound matrix and 4 liters of regular matrix. At first after 6 weeks Nitrates went down to under 10ppm. Now after 6+ months my nitrates do not go below 25ppm. I don't have coral in tank yet because of these high levels. I tried to boost it with small vodka dosing 4ml per day and a week of adding stability. I feed heavy but and I thought with that much bio capacity I should have been good. I just started a fuge and considering the below.

1. Should I remove the regular matrix and try only pound matrix?
2. Should I add more?

I did cut back on feeding and that made a big difference but not very happy fish lost 3 anthias. I also now have twice the amount of fish.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef lps sps
bigzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 02:57 PM   #809
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzman View Post
I have on my 330gallon tank 12 liters of pound matrix and 4 liters of regular matrix. At first after 6 weeks Nitrates went down to under 10ppm. Now after 6+ months my nitrates do not go below 25ppm. I don't have coral in tank yet because of these high levels. I tried to boost it with small vodka dosing 4ml per day and a week of adding stability. I feed heavy but and I thought with that much bio capacity I should have been good. I just started a fuge and considering the below.

2. Should I add more?

I did cut back on feeding and that made a big difference but not very happy fish lost 3 anthias. I also now have twice the amount of fish.
I would add more. The rule of thumb I used for Siporax is 1L per 25g. I don't think size of the product is a huge deal. I use both the small and large Siporax.

Unread 11/06/2017, 04:22 PM   #810
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:

2. Should I add more?

What are your phosphates? If they are too low your nitrates will not come down.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 06:50 PM   #811
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

I agree with life. Plus, remember that you can’t over do it with surface area for bacteria to grow on. Having ample surface area is a good thing.

Unread 11/07/2017, 08:27 AM   #812
bigzman
Registered Member

Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
What are your phosphates? If they are too low your nitrates will not come down.
Pife I use Seachem Matrix and pond matrix. My phosphates are barely readable.

acesq:

I have a skimmer rated for 800 gallons and I ordered 4 more liters for pond matrix.

Unread 11/07/2017, 09:17 AM   #813
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Pife I use Seachem Matrix and pond matrix. My phosphates are barely readable.

acesq:

I have a skimmer rated for 800 gallons and I ordered 4 more liters for pond matrix.
When I started using this type of material I had the same issues you're having. I would suggest feeding more phosphate rich foods. And dosing probiotic bacteria. It took a couple of months but now I have a perfect balance between nitrates and phosphates. Feel free to p.m. me if you would like to discuss any of this in further detail.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 10:15 AM   #814
codydemmel4
Registered Member

I started dosing 5% white distilled vinegar yesterday in my sump, but as soon as I dosed it I noticed less PE in my SPS (almost all of them) is this normal and will they adjust to this?

I only dose 15ml at a time, twice a day or should I break it up more?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 11/07/2017, 11:07 PM   #815
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
I started dosing 5% white distilled vinegar yesterday in my sump, but as soon as I dosed it I noticed less PE in my SPS (almost all of them) is this normal and will they adjust to this?

I only dose 15ml at a time, twice a day or should I break it up more?
That depends on your total water volume but 30ml a day is likely too high for an initial dose. If you have plenty of surface area (live rock, matrix, siporax), and you have nitrates and PO4 (you need both), then start dosing slowly. I only need 1ml per day in my 160gal nowadays. I used to dose higher amounts (up to 15ml/day) but now everything is in check with less. You need to start slowly and add more each day as the bacteria population grows. Too much in one day isn't going to work.There are lots of carbon dosing threads with recommendations on ramping up the dose and how much.

Unread 12/24/2017, 11:00 PM   #816
pusanpa
Registered Member

I came across this thread where this person did a biological filter media performance test. The result is very interesting. In terms of no3 removal, ehaim substratpro out performed siporax and matrix by a big margin which made me to try it out for no3 removal. Siporax and matrix did do much compare to substratpro.

http://story.raraaqua.co.kr/index.ph...ent_srl=230376

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20171224-225142.jpg (42.7 KB, 81 views)
pusanpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2017, 12:12 AM   #817
bigzman
Registered Member

That is very interesting results. If this is true that means siporax and matrix remove little to no nitrate. I have read of results on the other forum of a poor mans denitrator reactor. It essentially uses a mixed media in a tube at a very slow rate. It’s so effective that some show results of 50ppm nitrate entering reactor and almost zero on exit. The method of that reactor thread and the results shared Above share same principle of maxizing anaerobic bacteria. I wonder after reading that thread and the above results, how much more effective would my 12 liters of matrix be if placed in a slower moving zone In sump which could replicate a anaerobic conditions like dsb..

Last edited by bigzman; 12/26/2017 at 12:18 AM.
Unread 09/30/2019, 04:13 PM   #818
cwschoon
Registered Member

I just discovered this thread and forgive me for posting before I read it! I have had 2 Marine Pure Blocks in my sump for about 4 months now and am not seeing any nitrate reduction at all. I wonder if it is too porous to cultivate anaerobic bacteria. I am just about at the point, where I am going to remove it and do a "mini" deep sand bed instead. My thought is, that if it is NOT denitrifying, then it is actually a nitrate factory! I just read a post by someone who has had great denitrifying success with Siporax and am interested in opinions. Now, to read 33 pages of this thread!

cwschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2019, 05:00 PM   #819
marinelife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwschoon View Post
I just discovered this thread and forgive me for posting before I read it! I have had 2 Marine Pure Blocks in my sump for about 4 months now and am not seeing any nitrate reduction at all. I wonder if it is too porous to cultivate anaerobic bacteria. I am just about at the point, where I am going to remove it and do a "mini" deep sand bed instead. My thought is, that if it is NOT denitrifying, then it is actually a nitrate factory! I just read a post by someone who has had great denitrifying success with Siporax and am interested in opinions. Now, to read 33 pages of this thread!
I only use Siporax, I took my block out but more because they started to fall apart
I feel it's about flow. how is the flow thru your sump?

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2019, 05:08 PM   #820
cwschoon
Registered Member

My MP blocks ARE in the chamber with my return but because they are stacked at the far end from the return, I would think that I have a generous anaerobic section. I will give it more time but feel that it is inevitable that I replace the blocks with Tupperware and a good, old fashioned "mini" deep sand bed.

cwschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2019, 10:00 AM   #821
bigzman
Registered Member

Updating on my end: Although i had great results at first it is not the same any more. I still have 12 liters of pond matrix and Nitrates is 50ppm. I added 100 pounds of live rock and that helped more in Nitrate reduction. I am considering removing Matrix and stick to live rock.

Unread 10/02/2019, 10:32 AM   #822
ivans
Registered Member

Quote:
Updating on my end: Although i had great results at first it is not the same any more. I still have 12 liters of pond matrix and Nitrates is 50ppm. I added 100 pounds of live rock and that helped more in Nitrate reduction. I am considering removing Matrix and stick to live rock.

Almost the same as in my tank

ivans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2019, 01:02 PM   #823
pfoxgrover
Registered Member

I have three of the buckets of aquarium Matrix in my 240g. I would like to think I have it in there for biological stability. I think it helped when I recently moved my tank and cleaned it out really good in the process.

I am using an Algae turf scrubber, Auto water change, and liquid carbon dosing (DIY NOPOX on a dosing pump) to reduce Nitrates. They are still a bit high but I can fix that with a higher carbon dose but have to be careful not to over do it.

pfoxgrover is offline   Reply With Quote