Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2013, 12:03 PM   #1
FlyboySMB
Registered Member

Strange Ph drop, is it real

Just noticed this strange Ph drop at midnight last night. Do you think it's real or some kind of glitch???

This is a plot of the last 7 days.

FlyboySMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2013, 12:55 PM   #2
hkgar
Registered Member

I would think it is nothing more than an anomaly with the apex or the probe. I wouldn't be concerned unless it continues to occur. Sometimes S just happens for no apparent reason.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

What do you maintain your alkalinity at? Have you tested it since this incident?

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Anemone
Cloning Around

Anything else happen at home around midnight, like your heater kicking on, or anything else that could have effected the carbon dioxide level in the fish room's air?

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2013, 02:58 PM   #5
FlyboySMB
Registered Member

Funny you should mention that! We had a Halloween party last night and I was playing with dry ice near the end of the party, maybe 10:30-11. In the kitchen & the tank is in the adjoining family room. Bet that was it.

FlyboySMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2013, 03:01 PM   #6
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboySMB View Post
Funny you should mention that! We had a Halloween party last night and I was playing with dry ice near the end of the party, maybe 10:30-11. In the kitchen & the tank is in the adjoining family room. Bet that was it.
I'd suspect you've found the culprit...

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2013, 03:17 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

Dry ice is frozen CO2 and stays low, so it would have effected the water in the sump. Of course as it blends with the other gases in the house, i.e., Oxygen, it would increase CO2 levels driving down the ph,

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote