Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2017, 10:55 AM   #1
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Multiple magnificas

I acquired several magnificas and I'm currently putting them through the treatment acclimation process. I'm hoping to help local hobbyists have more success with this species by employing my experience and resources to do all the acclimation and treatment work for them. I thought I would document the progress and success rate for everyone here.

This one has already made it through med treatment and is coloring up in QT tank.

2 newest specimens. Came in in real bad shape and cold water

Anemones making their way through treatment

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 02:20 PM   #2
pfan151
Registered Member

That's pretty cool. How much are you planning to charge when they are ready? Hopefully people in your area can realize that buying one that is guaranteed to be healthy is worth paying extra for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 02:31 PM   #3
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
That's pretty cool. How much are you planning to charge when they are ready? Hopefully people in your area can realize that buying one that is guaranteed to be healthy is worth paying extra for.

I haven't decided on price yet. I'm not doing this to get rich by any means, but mainly as a way to help reduce the mortality rate of one of my favorite animas in the trade. I'll try to keep the price reasonable, but high enough to recoup my costs in salt water, medications, energy, and time. I've considered returning them to my LFS for them to resell as certifiably acclimated magnificas. My LFS is trying to break into online sales, so they may eventually be available nationally as WYSIWYG treated anemones. In that case I'll let the LFS determine the price.

Unread 02/27/2017, 04:23 PM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

I hope they will do well for you. I am so glad we can do something for these beautiful animals. It was painful for me to watch my anemones repeated deflated and wasted away in the past.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 09:31 AM   #5
Gig 'em
Registered Member

One of the mags (the one with the massive gaping mouth in the first post) is not recovering well. Initially he looked better after a couple days of treatment, but has since been on the decline. The mouth continues to stay open and he is always flipped upside down in the hospital tank. The water continues to become more cloudy and I've had to increase water changes to keep it clean. I'm not too optimistic about this one, but the other two are looking quite promising and I'm confident that they'll make it through treatment and into the QT tank successfully.

Unread 02/28/2017, 10:54 AM   #6
D-Nak
Registered Member

Thanks for doing this. I agree that it helps the community as a whole.

IME, mags respond extremely well to treatment. However, if they don't respond after a couple of days, like the one you're describing that's in bad shape, they typically die. I hope your experience is different.

Unread 02/28/2017, 12:40 PM   #7
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Thanks for doing this. I agree that it helps the community as a whole.

IME, mags respond extremely well to treatment. However, if they don't respond after a couple of days, like the one you're describing that's in bad shape, they typically die. I hope your experience is different.
That's my experience as well. I may try switching up my treatment to see if I can turn it around. I have a couple other antibiotics on hand to experiment with and see if they have any additional benefits.

Unread 02/28/2017, 09:14 PM   #8
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Update: the two healthier anemones continue to look better

The pink one is neither improving or declining further. To me that's not a great sign...

Unread 02/28/2017, 09:38 PM   #9
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Looking good. Keep up with the pictures and updates please.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 07:22 AM   #10
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Anemones looked about the same this morning when I performed water changes. I'll probably be graduating the two healthier specimens into the QT tank tomorrow and I'll focus solely on the struggling pink one.

Unread 03/02/2017, 08:40 AM   #11
ReeferDash
Registered Member

What are you treating them with? I've never treated or QTed a nem before, though granted mine are all rock flowers, and they're much hardier.

ReeferDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2017, 01:02 PM   #12
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferDash View Post
What are you treating them with? I've never treated or QTed a nem before, though granted mine are all rock flowers, and they're much hardier.

I'm mainly using ciprofloxacin at the moment. There is a thread here explaining a common treatment protocol using ciprofloxacin. I imagine you probably wouldn't need to treat a rock anemone as it isn't as delicate as the H. magnifica species.

Unread 03/03/2017, 10:13 AM   #13
ReeferDash
Registered Member

Yeah, H. magnífica is definitely for further down the line for me. I really want to try one though, in a dedicated species tank.

Unread 03/04/2017, 02:30 PM   #14
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Well the pink one that has always look iffy has finally began to melt. I assumed after a few days of treatment without showing any improvement that it was pretty much doomed. The other mags have graduated into QT and are settling in now

Last day of pink based anemone

Graduation day

Unread 03/05/2017, 07:49 PM   #15
Gig 'em
Registered Member

It's been a tough day today. On top of the pink foot magnifica not making it, the large one that made it through QT decided to leave its spot and find the power head some time while I was gone today. On top of that my protein skimmer pump litter last burned out at he same time and was smoking in the sump. Performed a 50% water change and we'll see what happens. I'm having a hard time imagining selling these guys for real cheap now...

This was after the water change. Water still isn't clear a couple hours later

Unread 03/05/2017, 08:41 PM   #16
OrionN
Moved on

I am sorry to hear this.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 11:15 PM   #17
pfan151
Registered Member

Wow. Sucks to see that. Is the one that got in the power head toast or is that it below the power head in the pic? Good luck. Hopefully everything looks better in the morning.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 06:52 AM   #18
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Wow. Sucks to see that. Is the one that got in the power head toast or is that it below the power head in the pic? Good luck. Hopefully everything looks better in the morning.

It's the one lying below the power head in the picture. It was a monster of an anemone, over a foot fully expanded before the power head so there was a lot of anemone blended up into the water. The water was still cloudy this morning so I moved the other two anemones into a smaller tank with cleaner water for no. The shredded anemone is still alive, but I've never had experience with mags being shredded and surviving before like BTAs, so in that sense I'm very interested to see if a mag can pull itself through this incident and recover fully. Lessons learned for sure

Unread 03/08/2017, 06:08 PM   #19
Gig 'em
Registered Member

The anemone that got sucked into the power head looks like it won't make it. Interestingly though are those clusters that the anemone is showing in its final moments. Not sure if these are organ parts (none that I've seen?) or gametes to release to help preserve itself? No clue, has anyone seen anything like this?

Unread 03/08/2017, 07:07 PM   #20
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Sorry to hear.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 08:22 PM   #21
ReeferDash
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig 'em View Post
The anemone that got sucked into the power head looks like it won't make it. Interestingly though are those clusters that the anemone is showing in its final moments. Not sure if these are organ parts (none that I've seen?) or gametes to release to help preserve itself? No clue, has anyone seen anything like this?

I was really hoping this one would miraculously recover.

Unread 03/08/2017, 08:40 PM   #22
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferDash View Post

I was really hoping this one would miraculously recover.

Me too, it was a truly spectacular specimen. I wish I had taken better photos before it was too late. Many lessons learned this week from this anemone

Unread 03/08/2017, 08:43 PM   #23
AD87
Registered Member

I am sorry to hear, multiple mags are hard to keep. I have been keeping this species for awhile.

H Magnificia or bust.
AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 09:18 PM   #24
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

That one pictures is the gametogenic tissue. That is where the sperm and the eggs come from depending on the sex.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2017, 08:31 AM   #25
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
That one pictures is the gametogenic tissue. That is where the sperm and the eggs come from depending on the sex.
I was thinking it was something along those lines. I doubt they're viable though. Would be a pleasant surprise if they were...